Obese

chester

Super Anarchist
Unfortunately the era of country music songwriters like Charlie Rich, Mel Tillis, and even Willie is gone. Everything today sounds like a parody of David Allen Coe's old parody song. "Pickup truck, backroads, boots, ___ liquor brand" etc. It's a tired formula with no heart, soul, heartbreak or even a human story.
yer listening to the wrong country music...try some artists that get featured at places like this https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
We’re very careful. We only buy healthy gin……..honest…….the label says so…..

ACD2475D-1346-46DE-8FC1-425EB6DB86E9.jpeg

EF163141-8526-4A10-AD92-A2C0AE3434CB.jpeg

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Smokers don't do so well - smoking can be detrimental to a long life.
Pretty conventional wisdom but it fails to explain why cancer has increased 60% since 1960 - when half of the population smoked - to now when something like 14% smoke.

A bit like how those 14% still start the vast majority of forest fires I guess.

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
Last edited:

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
Climate change is a big part of the increase in wildfires. Summer wildfire seasons are 40 to 80 days longer than they were 30 years ago. Droughts are more severe, making it easier for fuels to dry out and fires to ignite and spread. Extreme weather events, marked by dry fuels, lightning storms and strong winds, are also increasing and provide essential ingredients for rapid fire growth.

There is strong scientific evidence that fuel reduction treatments – including forest thinning, prescribed burning, Indigenous cultural burning and managed wildfires – are effective approaches for mitigating future fire impacts to Western forests. However, land managers can’t expect these treatments to work if they are applied to only a small fraction of Western forest landscapes.

When combined, forest thinning and prescribed burning in dry ponderosa pine and in dry and moist mixed-conifer forests have been shown to be highly effective at reducing the fire damage to forests. However, this type of treatment is not appropriate for all forest types. Fire managers in some wilderness areas and national parks have allowed fires started by lightning to burn in some wind and weather conditions. Over the past 40-plus years, these wildfires have been allowed to burn and reburn landscapes, generally limiting the size and severity of wildfires

Promoting resilient Western forests will require that our society builds a new relationship with fire by creating fire-adapted communities and looking for opportunities to restore fire to Western forest landscapes. In this era of warmer, drier summers and longer fire seasons, there are no fire- or smoke-free solutions. The current approach to fire management poses unnecessarily high stakes for Western forests. There is no doubt that the future of Western forests is a fiery one. How we choose to live with fire is still up to us.

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
Climate change is a big part of the increase in wildfires. Summer wildfire seasons are 40 to 80 days longer than they were 30 years ago. Droughts are more severe, making it easier for fuels to dry out and fires to ignite and spread. Extreme weather events, marked by dry fuels, lightning storms and strong winds, are also increasing and provide essential ingredients for rapid fire growth.

There is strong scientific evidence that fuel reduction treatments – including forest thinning, prescribed burning, Indigenous cultural burning and managed wildfires – are effective approaches for mitigating future fire impacts to Western forests. However, land managers can’t expect these treatments to work if they are applied to only a small fraction of Western forest landscapes.

When combined, forest thinning and prescribed burning in dry ponderosa pine and in dry and moist mixed-conifer forests have been shown to be highly effective at reducing the fire damage to forests. However, this type of treatment is not appropriate for all forest types. Fire managers in some wilderness areas and national parks have allowed fires started by lightning to burn in some wind and weather conditions. Over the past 40-plus years, these wildfires have been allowed to burn and reburn landscapes, generally limiting the size and severity of wildfires

Promoting resilient Western forests will require that our society builds a new relationship with fire by creating fire-adapted communities and looking for opportunities to restore fire to Western forest landscapes. In this era of warmer, drier summers and longer fire seasons, there are no fire- or smoke-free solutions. The current approach to fire management poses unnecessarily high stakes for Western forests. There is no doubt that the future of Western forests is a fiery one. How we choose to live with fire is still up to us.

This is pretty much spot on………one problem we have is the lack of prescribed burning for a couple decades now and the resulting heavy fuel loads coupled with climate change and very dry and dead fuels makes getting a prescribed burn done very very hard……often impossible. That doesn’t even include getting a burn window that satisfies the nesting critter season, clean air requirements and temp/humidity requirements. Frankly, that horse has left the barn.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
This is pretty much spot on………one problem we have is the lack of prescribed burning for a couple decades now and the resulting heavy fuel loads coupled with climate change and very dry and dead fuels makes getting a prescribed burn done very very hard……often impossible. That doesn’t even include getting a burn window that satisfies the nesting critter season, clean air requirements and temp/humidity requirements. Frankly, that horse has left the barn.
You just need to rake the forests to get rid of those very dry and dead fuels.

Windward

Super Anarchist
You just need to rake the forests to get rid of those very dry and dead fuels.
With the enthusiasm that the mow-n-blow crew seem to attack our HOA lawns, the forest does not stand a chance.

All that stuff would be blown to one side of the forest, and then laboriously blown back. And they would also overwater the forest as well, so no fires could possibly occur.

Canada

Had a similar sign back in the day when I was serious about cycling and tri. Thought I was managing calories okay until I saw a documentary with riders in trading having empty fridges and pantries so they wouldn’t be tempted. Figured if Peter Reid could have an apple for dinner after training, I could cut back.

Now Big Mama drops $400 every time we go to Costco and it drives me fackin insane. Boxes of shit.

Canada
Pretty conventional wisdom but it fails to explain why cancer has increased 60% since 1960 - when half of the population smoked - to now when something like 14% smoke.

A bit like how those 14% still start the vast majority of forest fires I guess.
Maybe because screening frequency and accuracy has increased over time, so more cases are being caught? Kind of a candle light bulb versus a halogen light kind of analogy…?

But then I’m not a doctor. Nor do I play one on tv.

Ease the sheet.

ignoring stupid people is easy
Had a similar sign back in the day when I was serious about cycling and tri. Thought I was managing calories okay until I saw a documentary with riders in trading having empty fridges and pantries so they wouldn’t be tempted. Figured if Peter Reid could have an apple for dinner after training, I could cut back.

Now Big Mama drops $400 every time we go to Costco and it drives me fackin insane. Boxes of shit.
Knew a rock climber whose motto was "eating's cheating"...

Canada
Knew a rock climber whose motto was "eating's cheating"...
Yeah. Spent time in that world too. Lots of stick insects who have unhealthy relationships with food. It’s like a reverse spiral dive of obsessive compulsions. Fortunately, I lacked both the talent and the genetics to become a 5.13-chasing spider, so i just stuck to hauling my fat ass and beer belly up trad classics. Nothing like a pint and chip butty to fuel up 🤘

Last edited:

chester

Super Anarchist
Yeah. Spent time in that world too. Lots of stick insects who have unhealthy relationships with food. It’s like a reverse spiral dive of obsessive compulsions. Fortunately, I lacked both the talent and the genetics to become a 5.13-chasing spider, so i just stuck to hauling my fat ass and beer belly up trad classics. Nothing like a pint and chip bitty to fuel up 🤘
i don't even know what a chip bitty is and i'm going to go ahead and heartily approve