odd things you see in the marina

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
Don't the boats need some kind of USCG Cert to carry paying passengers? And have some substantial liability insurance? I know they say "licensed captain" (six pak probably) but what about the boat??
I'm sure they do and I'm equally sure they comply. They are way too high-visibility to slip underneath the administrative radar. They are plastered with advertising; there is no hiding the fact that it is a commercial enterprise.

Last edited by a moderator:

hobie17li

Anarchist
Note to designer: the couches go in the cockpit, not on the bow.

Designer: I thought the foredeck needed to be comfy while calling

Jib Trim

nolatom

Super Anarchist
New Orleans
Keep it to 3 plus 3 paying passengers in the yard furniture and the boat doesn't need a CG Certificate of Inspection the way a typical commercial tour boat would. But if 7-plus passengers, you do, and very doubtful it could be obtained for a small Cal without (for example) a collision bulkhead and built to CG or ABS plans and specs, stability tests, etc. The jingle I used to hear years ago as a Coast Guard inspector was, "you can drown 6, you can't drown 7". Note the flyer linked above says 6 passenger maximum so there you go.

But either way, the capt has to have a license to carry one or more paying pax. So it'd be a 6-pac license for those "uninspected" boats.

Not pleasing to a sailor's eye, but what the hey.

tizak

These things are big money-makers.

Cal28, eh? Usually it's a Cal25. You can find a beat-to-shit Cal25 for cheap, slap on a new 4-stroke outboard which cost more than the boat, bolt on some Home Depot patio furniture and you are off and running after you get a few permits.

The guests pay a fixed price. The alpha gay male drives the boat around inside protected harbors while the submissive gay partner serves up wines with hors d'œuvres. The guests get a yachting experience complete with Grey Poupon.

I saw my first one in Alamitos Bay, then shortly thereafter in Newport. They gotta have them in Marina Del Rey by now. Anywhere there is a protected harbor with interesting sites to see.

Saw one in del Rey. Heavy cruising boat about 45 ft. long. Had a set of wicker furniture + cocktail table strapped to the foredeck.

BlondeWithFreeBoat

Anarchist
NY
http://shipnabottle.com/menu.html $400 for a group with 2 whole bottles of wine. Wow. Couple of trips a weekend would stock up the new sail piggybank nicely. New sails? Oh, hang on...

Better the boat's used than chopped up and in landfill, though.
It's interesting that the menu doesn't show the boat...hmmmm.

-M
Guess they're aware that no one would pay to be seen in public on THAT thing, if they knew what they were getting into.

Oh my fucking god! I assumed that was some kind of spoof, but the Facebook page and the yelp reviews and all of it seem to be too elaborate for anyone to go to such lengths for such a lame joke...so it must be for reals. Even the prices. $155 for cheese n crackers n wine on a park bench. . .on a boat.

Oh my fucking god! I assumed that was some kind of spoof, but the Facebook page and the yelp reviews and all of it seem to be too elaborate for anyone to go to such lengths for such a lame joke...so it must be for reals. Even the prices. $155 for cheese n crackers n wine on a park bench. . .on a boat.
no charge for the overpowering stench of the holding tank though

xyzzy

Anarchist
I can't get enough crew to race and I don't even charge them! Maybe I need to start offering wine and cheese instead of beer?

Somebody Else

PNW
No...

These things are for real and apparently growing.

I saw the first one in Alamitos Bay and they were putting along with paying customers. Saw my 2nd one there too. Than about a year later they started showing up in Newport Harbor.

I haven't seen advertising so my guess is they are putting flyers in those racks in hotel lobbies. I think it's all tourists from Kansas who have come for the California "Experience".

It's actually sort of amusing to be coming in from a race (or even doing one... like a summer beer-cans) and whip past them with better drinks and prettier girls. As they are looking up with their pink sunburned faces they have got to be thinking, "Fark! What have I got to do to get on one of those!"
eek.gif

Somebody Else

PNW
I can't get enough crew to race and I don't even charge them! Maybe I need to start offering wine and cheese instead of beer?
Naw, son.

Do you really want wine drinkers crewing your racing boat?

like_a_sir.jpg

Get some seriously hops-forward microbrews on board. Trust me on this point.

Latest posts