Off market 45ish cat for sale?

mrybas

Howdy,

My brother and family (wife and 2 young boys) are looking for a 45’ish cat.  400k US max budget.

Requirements:
-Non Condomoran

-not a project boat 

-well built

-preferably US east coast/Caribbean location 

-preferably cruising gear already installed (good battery bank, solar, watermaker, etc) if close to 400k max budget.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada

Laurent

Super Anarchist
Houston
Doesn't meet your location but otherwise well equipped. Dura core construction which might be a negative.

https://www.catamaransite.com/catamarans-for-sale/schionning-50/

Another strip planked (red cedar core/glassed over)

https://www.catamaransite.com/catamarans-for-sale/hercher-bm50/

Disclaimer: my wife does interviews for them, where she interviews sailors that own cats and asks them about what they like/don't like about their boats. No financial interest otherwise.
Is it me or that second one seems cheap? What's the catch?

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Lots of people don't want a wood core boat. To me, red cedar is no worse than balsa. But you have to be careful with it and keep the core dry, just like balsa.

Could be that the boat is worn out and tired and pictures are not current.

Very skinny hulls with narrow bunks. 

Not a production boat.

All these affect resale value

mpenman

Pompano Beach
I own a CW 57, so I am CW biased.

Godspeed is in great shape and that's way to clean an engine room.

Don't overlook the older Robertson Caine boats nor the Voyages, they both sail decently. Those two makes both sail well with a decent sail plan.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
And why oh why do we keep putting heavy old fashioned instruments on the wall of light cats. A digital recording barometer is far more useful. And a $5 stick on LCD clock can light up at night. Both are far more functional. Got to be the best $/lb weight savings possible.

image.png

socalrider

Super Anarchist
San Diego CA
Lots of people don't want a wood core boat. To me, red cedar is no worse than balsa. But you have to be careful with it and keep the core dry, just like balsa.

Could be that the boat is worn out and tired and pictures are not current.

Very skinny hulls with narrow bunks. 

Not a production boat.

All these affect resale value
That Hercher 50 looks great to me.  Certainly the location affects value as well - if it was on the W. Coast or FL I'm sure it'd be an easier sell assuming it's in decent shape.  If I were still in the market I'd be intrigued, thought the headroom looks like it could be pretty marginal, which is what turned me off the lightweight French cats - at 6'2" I couldn't stand up in the galley on most of them.  

jdazey

Kingston, WA
soma said:
Man, now you got me self-conscious. My boat came with a big bronze barometer prominently placed. Now it mocks me. 
Ours came with a matching clock, both very high quality nautical instruments that weigh a ton:(

Monkey

Super Anarchist
soma said:
Man, now you got me self-conscious. My boat came with a big bronze barometer prominently placed. Now it mocks me. 
Don’t go there. Your boat is already gorgeous and does her job just right. She doesn’t need to be supermodel skinny. 

bushsailor

Anarchist
QLD Australia
I think red cedar hulls are probably the best of all. Strength wise it is nearly unbeatable and water retention is minimal.

Don't be afraid of ply or balsa either in a old boat. (I would never build a boat out of balsa but...) A very thorough survey with a moisture meter will soon tell if there are problems. If the boat is dry after all this time it will most likely stay that way. Don't drill any new holes in it.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
high on my $/lb weight savings are fiberglass propane tank. Save 20 lbs compared to steel tanks x 2 tanks