Off Soundings Series and low pressure systems.

unknown

mid-Atlantic
If you have a working VHF and are not monitoring it before your start, you are not the sharpest knife in the drawer. 

You can try and justify the actions of those three boats all you want, it does not change the posted instructions for the regatta.

Gone Drinking

Super Anarchist
You are right it doesn't change the posted instructions for the race. Along with the rules. And the rules of sailing are clear that if it is not in writing it doesn't apply. Go read Case 32. 

I am guessing the judges agree as all 3 boats have had  their scores reinstated  and all protests have been withdrawn. 

unknown

mid-Atlantic
That actually works directly against those three boats. 

Case 32 Summary:

A competitor is entitled to look exclusively to written

sailing instructions and to any written amendments for all

details relating to sailing the course.
SI 9.1 and 9.3

Gone Drinking

Super Anarchist
Course posted as per the SI on a board with marks listed.  Circled marks are to be rounded to stbd and uncircled ones leave to post.  The course posted was W 4 B which you could round all the marks properly if you went around the island.  You could also round all the marks properly without going around the island.  All boats sailed the course posted properly.  There is at least 1 mark on the east side of the island.  Why not include that mark?  Why no mention of an Around the Island race in the NOR or the SIs.  only mention is that the racing on Saturday will be in the vicinity of Block Island. 

I will agree that the RC announced that the race was around the island and read the course board.  However the SIs state that annoncements are for safety, convenience and courtesy. 

gullwinkle

MA
I have never seen results being changed so much.  Distance is still listed at 18NM but I guess that does not matter with the TOT calculation. I'll check back tomorrow.

Snow Guy

Anarchist
The Cove, CT
Results changed again.  Boats that did not go around the island withdrew.  I check back tomorrow.
2 of the 3 did.

Can't speak for the other boat, but the whiners won.  While what was done was legal, it wasn't worth the flack.  Especially from some industry guys that were likely pissed they got out smarted by some weekend warriors.  This is supposed to be fun.  It gets frustrating when people don't know the rules, but then preach like they know everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

bloodshot

Super Anarchist
United States
ugh...

Wind forecast  tides   weather radar Groton Long Point  United States   Windria.png

Figment

Super Anarchist
high and dry
The wind died as the back half of the fleet was fighting the current at 1BI.   Many DNFs and many others hung in there until the time limit expired.    By far the latest flags-up time at the party in recent memory.

Saturday was generally glorious, particularly on a boat that reaches well.   RC was quite emphatic that we sail AROUND the island.