Off Soundings Series and low pressure systems.

sheethead

Branford CT
Any idea how this compares to other Nav apps at the app store?
Not really, I use it mostly as a chart plotter of sorts. I have just now discovered it has tidal current information embedded in the charts, I still don't know how useful it will be. Going to find out when we go through the Race (or the Gut) on Friday though! I just downloaded SailGrib, I'll let you know how that is.

Car Ramrod

Anarchist
Vermont
Not really, I use it mostly as a chart plotter of sorts. I have just now discovered it has tidal current information embedded in the charts, I still don't know how useful it will be. Going to find out when we go through the Race (or the Gut) on Friday though! I just downloaded SailGrib, I'll let you know how that is.
How do you access this feature?

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
So, probably worth the ten buck fee at the app store? Probably need a bigger screen than iPhone 5S to be useful on a boat......

sheethead

Branford CT
So, probably worth the ten buck fee at the app store? Probably need a bigger screen than iPhone 5S to be useful on a boat......
I use it on my Galaxy 5 and on a 4 x 6" tablet. I think it is worth it, I use it mostly for transports, I dropped a few bucks and got a hand held Garmin for myself this past Christmas, I use that while racing;I have most of the ECSA marks programmed in and also some other way points. I found the tablet and phone died too quickly to keep the location setting on all of the time. Besides, as I understand, my phone and tablet aren't using GPS satellites, it's using cell signal triangulation which is shit when you are out of range. Bottom line - I thought it was well worth the $10 for what I used it for.

Snow Guy

Anarchist
The Cove, CT
You should try OpenCPN. I had Navionics for a little while and liked OpenCPN much better. You do have to download charts from NOAA, but you can do a lot more with it especially if you know how to program. It is open source based so you can play around with the different modules. I have not done so myself since I do not know how to program, but have seen what others have done. I can show it to you this weekend if you want.

sheethead

Branford CT
You should try OpenCPN. I had Navionics for a little while and liked OpenCPN much better. You do have to download charts from NOAA, but you can do a lot more with it especially if you know how to program. It is open source based so you can play around with the different modules. I have not done so myself since I do not know how to program, but have seen what others have done. I can show it to you this weekend if you want.
I'll be sure to stop by. Are you guys bringing the Bird to Crockers Thursday?

Snow Guy

Anarchist
The Cove, CT
I'll be sure to stop by. Are you guys bringing the Bird to Crockers Thursday?
It will be at Thamesport. Skipper is bringing it up there tomorrow morning.

Figment

Super Anarchist
high and dry
only complaint about the weather was that we needed more cloudcover. A few guys at the party on saturday.... man could you take a half-step back? The heat radiating off your skin is singeing my eyebrows, thanks.

WHK

Super Anarchist
Newport, RI
only complaint about the weather was that we needed more cloudcover. A few guys at the party on saturday.... man could you take a half-step back? The heat radiating off your skin is singeing my eyebrows, thanks.
I represent that statement! Had to be careful that the rum drinks didn't turn into flaming hurricanes.

bloodshot

Super Anarchist
United States
um.....

Wind forecast  tides   weather radar Noank  United States   Windria.png