Official AC dates announced

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
OFFICIAL DATES OF 34TH AMERICA’S CUP RELEASED

San Francisco, Calif., Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Louis Vuitton Cup Starts In July, America’s Cup Match (Finals) In September of 2013

WHAT:

The 2013 race dates for the Louis Vuitton Cup and America’s Cup Match (Finals) were confirmed today by Regatta Director Iain Murray.

Since 1983, the Louis Vuitton Cup – the America’s Cup Challenger Series – has been held when more than one Challenger is vying for the right to race the Defender for the America’s Cup (as is the case for the 34th America’s Cup). The role of the Louis Vuitton Cup is twofold – not only to select the best Challenger, but also to help prepare that the team to race successfully against the Defender in the America’s Cup Match (Finals).

The winner of the Louis Vuitton Cup will race the Golden Gate Yacht Club’s (GGYC) defending team in the finals, a first-to-win-five (best of nine) race series known as the America’s Cup Match (Finals).

WHEN:

Louis Vuitton Cup: 13 July – 1 September 2013*

America’s Cup Match (Finals): 7-22 September 2013**

WHO:

Under the Protocol Governing the America’s Cup, GGYC as the Defending Club has the responsibility to select the dates.

The official notice of these dates to the currently entered six teams, and other prospective teams, from Regatta Director Iain Murray is now available at www.americascup.com under the Gallery section.

WHERE:

San Francisco Bay

*subject to the final number of Challengers and the precise format of the racing TBD by the Challengers and Regatta Director.

**subject to the whether the America’s Cup Match (Finals) is won in five races, or goes the full nine races.

About the America’s Cup

Nearly 160 years old, the America’s Cup is the oldest trophy in international sport. Initially a one-on-one competition between teams representing foreign yacht clubs, the America’s Cup has evolved into one of the world's leading sporting competitions – featuring the best sailors on the world’s fastest boats – the wing-sailed AC45 and AC72 catamarans. The 34th America's Cup Finals will be held in San Francisco in the fall of 2013, with the new America's Cup World Series beginning in 2011. For more information, visit www.americascup.com

maxmini

Super Anarchist
Now wait a min these are actual FACTS. What are they doing in this forum ? :) To paraphrase a well known movie over here , Blazing Saddles ,

" Facts ?? We dont need no stinking FACTS :) ". Thanks for sharing !

mp1970

Anarchist
I see a vast conspiracy
I thought the challenger commission was going to decide their CSS dates and format
wink.gif

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
These guys crack me up. Haven't read it before, but what does this mean? Initially? Are there no more teams representing yacht clubs, and one-on-one racing? What is the AC supposed to be now? A fleet race between same-nation teams?

The whole semantics of this sentence is screwed and turns out to ridicule the meaning. Really funny.

(...)

About the America’s Cup

Nearly 160 years old, the America’s Cup is the oldest trophy in international sport. Initially a one-on-one competition between teams representing foreign yacht clubs, the America’s Cup has evolved into one of the world's leading sporting competitions – featuring the best sailors on the world’s fastest boats – the wing-sailed AC45 and AC72 catamarans. (...)

mp1970

Anarchist
These guys crack me up. Haven't read it before, but what does this mean? Initially? Are there no more teams representing yacht clubs, and one-on-one racing? What is the AC supposed to be now? A fleet race between same-nation teams?

The whole semantics of this sentence is screwed and turns out to ridicule the meaning. Really funny.

(...)

About the America's Cup

Nearly 160 years old, the America's Cup is the oldest trophy in international sport. Initially a one-on-one competition between teams representing foreign yacht clubs, the America's Cup has evolved into one of the world's leading sporting competitions – featuring the best sailors on the world's fastest boats – the wing-sailed AC45 and AC72 catamarans. (...)
Turning in their graves they must be...

I need to read this crap more carefully, nice find Ren, can't wait to read SR and SWS spin on it.

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist

(...)

About the America's Cup

Nearly 160 years old, the America's Cup is the oldest trophy in international sport. Initially a one-on-one competition between teams representing foreign yacht clubs, the America's Cup has evolved into one of the world's leading sporting competitions – featuring the best sailors on the world's fastest boats – the wing-sailed AC45 and AC72 catamarans. (...)
Yes, what do they assume by that sentence? :unsure:

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
I think it is just a blooper. But good to know that this happens to professionals too.

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW

(...)

About the America's Cup

I need to read this crap more carefully, nice find Ren, can't wait to read SR and SWS spin on it.
Yep, technically if you intend to refer to just the Cup Match itself then it remains to us quite obviously "a one-on-one competition between teams representing foreign yacht clubs." But they are clearly referring to all the other attendant competition in the lead-up, something that maybe started ('has evolved') since the multi-chall era began in 1970, with the exception of '88 and '10. These press releases get treated like news but they clearly have PR purposes too.

There is another typo (on a phone, hard to go back) where they said something like " to the whether the" something else.. Poor form if that typo got widespread too - did it? Not for the first time either (a typo) but then it's also no big criminal intent - just people trying to do right but sometimes oops'ing. At least they are trying to keep us abreast of the situation..

SimonN

Super Anarchist
Sydney ex London
But they are clearly referring to all the other attendant competition in the lead-up, something that maybe started ('has evolved') since the multi-chall era began in 1970, with the exception of '88 and '10. These press releases get treated like news but they clearly have PR purposes too.
At the risk of extreme verbal abuse, I have to disagree with your comment. They are clearly not talking about the multi-challenger era because what they say it has evolved into is

one of the world's leading sporting competitions featuring the best sailors on the world's fastest boats – the wing-sailed AC45 and AC72 catamarans
The real travisty in this the way they keep placing the word "Finals" after America's Cup Match. That implies there are other events which are part of the America's Cup which, of course, is BS. This is what happens when you hijack the AC and use the term America's Cup World Champion, or any other such rubbish. It is not the America's Cup Final. It is the America's Cup. Everything else is incidental.

It seems to me that this is simply the thin end of the wedge. Assuming Oracle Racing wins next time, what happens? Where does this "evolution" go. We already know that they want to minimise match racing as they say it isn't TV friendly. The America's Cup World Champion will be decided by fleet racing. Is the next step going to be fleet racing for the whole lot, because the TV companies say that it is too confusing to keep swapping format? Or will we see the WS get all the coverage and the Cup matches themselves become an untelevised side show?

nav

Super Anarchist
The real travisty in this the way they keep placing the word "Finals" after America's Cup Match. That implies there are other events which are part of the America's Cup which, of course, is BS. This is what happens when you hijack the AC and use the term America's Cup World Champion, or any other such rubbish. It is not the America's Cup Final. It is the America's Cup. Everything else is incidental.

It seems to me that this is simply the thin end of the wedge. Assuming Oracle Racing wins next time, what happens? Where does this "evolution" go. We already know that they want to minimise match racing as they say it isn't TV friendly. The America's Cup World Champion will be decided by fleet racing. Is the next step going to be fleet racing for the whole lot, because the TV companies say that it is too confusing to keep swapping format? Or will we see the WS get all the coverage and the Cup matches themselves become an untelevised side show?

I see a vast conspiracy
That's so perceptive. How could he know what was coming??
cool.gif

Simon how is it that you are here seemingly 24hours a day attacking anything and everything AC, trolling on every thread, and yet you accuse others of being paid or directed? I smell a rat!
mad.gif

bcopper

Super Anarchist

(...)

About the America's Cup

Here's my spin - go talk to Ian, he (or someone else) wrote it :)

anthonyvop

Super Anarchist
Miami, Florida
AC in Mid-September.

Lets see...................

the NFL and NCAA football seasons are in full gear.

Baseball is entering the pennant races

Basketball and Hockey season's are about to start.

NASCAR well into "the Chase"

Yea there will be AC highlights on Sports center!!

nav

Super Anarchist
AC in Mid-September.

Lets see...................

the NFL and NCAA football seasons are in full gear.

Baseball is entering the pennant races

Basketball and Hockey season's are about to start.

NASCAR well into "the Chase"

Yea there will be AC highlights on Sports center!!

'AC' I know, and hockey is obvious.................

COSP--oct28-field-hockey.jpg

.....but what the hell do all those other letters stand for?

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland

That's so perceptive. How could he know what was coming??
cool.gif

Simon how is it that you are here seemingly 24hours a day attacking anything and everything AC, trolling on every thread, and yet you accuse others of being paid or directed? I smell a rat!
mad.gif
FFS, why don't YOU address the obvious points which Simon has made - or is English too complicated for you to comprehend? Let me give you a hint: the operative words are in bold -

1: "Initially a one-on-one competition between teams representing foreign yacht clubs...". This implies it is no longer a 1-on-1 competition: it has no other meaning whatsoever, within the context of the sentence.

2: "America's Cup Final" There is no such event: there is THE America's Cup matches. The implication here is that the ACWS in 45ers has been evolved into a pre-qualification "world series" for the AC. Don't give me your selective yankee bullshit about the LV being part of the AC: it never was. The LV was - surprise! surprise! - the CHALLENGER's Series to find THE Challenger to go 1-on-1 against the Defender, in THE America's Cup match comprising several races.

This information confirms just how much RC and Cayard have hijacked the AC for their own purposes.