Offshore gribs… 2022=2016?

Lykke

So Cal
These are all hacker stories from 1990s… the way I see it, the second Starlink laser link is up, Iridium is dead. The way of mother Bell land lines and dial-up modems. So now they can

a) milk cruisers who “need” it with 1990s pricing for 1-2 years. Or

b) try to find a low cost niche and build a following while people still care that they exist.

in practice they probably have a lot of debt and need a) to service it. Then they will just go bust and disappear.

personally I am going without them

Last edited by a moderator:

weightless

Super Anarchist
the way I see it, the second Starlink laser link is up, Iridium is dead.
One second? That'd be properly quick work. Wouldn't they need to develop a ground unit with lower power, smaller size and greater stability and get regulatory approvals to make Starlink available and workable on small boats at sea?

El Borracho

Verified User
Pacific Rim
One second? That'd be properly quick work. Wouldn't they need to develop a ground unit with lower power, smaller size and greater stability and get regulatory approvals to make Starlink available and workable on small boats at sea?
Maybe one of our SA readers with a Starlink ground station can report if it works while being rolled like aboard a small boat.

I would think Starlink would need to have some general license or approval for maritime use. Each country has been licensing the terrestrial units. Some very slowly. 

weightless

Super Anarchist
Maybe one of our SA readers with a Starlink ground station can report if it works while being rolled like aboard a small boat.
@sshow bob posted this report:

It seems as if the beam path is extremely narrow. If the dish is jostled it has to refocus and aquire. It only self levels in one plane, and is slow to do so. Wind can move it enough to lose the connection on occasion. I would expect that a version that works on a boat underway will be a serious powerhog because it will need to be very fast in correcting for movement whether mechanically or through beam steering, or probably both. I would also expect the beam width to be increased, with an exponential increase in power use. 

I have moved our rig a number of times inside our geofence grid. It didn't care about where it was inside the grid. Its transportable rather than portable, really, but easy enough that I took it to the marina to give me a hot connection to enable me to work there. Movement of the dock didn't phase it. Movement of the boat at the dock did. 

Hitchhiker

Hoopy Frood
Saquo-Pilia Hensha
So, in the year 2022, now, for someone doing New England - Bermuda - Bahamas route in May, is there an alternative to Iridium Go, to receive Expedition gribs offshore? As far as I can tell, neither Starlink, nor Garmin, nor Spot are capable?
Iridium Certus 100.  88 kbps speeds and zero black out areas (a real issue for fleet one users in races to Hawaii and Mexico).  We installed a Thrane unit on a 35 ftr with a nearly non-existent nav area (see pic below),  It is compact, lightweight and very easy to set up and use.  Downloaded four to six gribs per day (depending on where we were and what we needed), used it for Yb tracking into Exp and then e-mail for position reports and updates home.  Used 20Mb for 5.5 day race to Puerto Vallarta.

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

Just A Skosh

Super Anarchist
New Hampshire
Iridium Certus 100.  88 kbps speeds and zero black out areas (a real issue for fleet one users in races to Hawaii and Mexico).  We installed a Thrane unit on a 35 ftr with a nearly non-existent nav area (see pic below),  It is compact, lightweight and very easy to set up and use.  Downloaded four to six gribs per day (depending on where we were and what we needed), used it for Yb tracking into Exp and then e-mail for position reports and updates home.  Used 20Mb for 5.5 day race to Puerto Vallarta.

View attachment 502580

View attachment 502582
Looks like voice comms as well?

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Iridium Go are super easy to download Grib files using Saildocs. For free. Not sure where you're getting your information ctd? You just email Saildocs server.

Not slow at all.

http://weather.mailasail.com/franks-weather/saildocs-free-grib-files

i.e.

To request a GRIB file send an email to [SIZE=12.0132px][email protected][/SIZE], Type anything you wish as subject - but do not leave it blank.

A simple message reads

send gfs:40N,60N,0W,20W/0.5,0.5/0,24,48,72/

That will result in an email with a GRIB file attached that Wind and Pressure values for the area selected, on a 0.5 degree latitude/longitude grid at 0, 24, 48 and 72 hours ahead.

For a daily repeat, use the same format but change the "send" to "sub". For example:

sub gfs:40N,60N,0W,20W/1,1/0,12,...,120
will result in a forecast received daily, shortly after 0615 UTC.

etc etc.
@ZonkerSo - I've got the GO!, which email service, XGate or Sailmail? Does it matter? They both look to be ~$200 for the period I need...

us7070

Super Anarchist
I know XGate will pick up where it left off in the event of a disconnect.    Sailmail?
I have used X-gate quite a bit over the years, and been happy with it.

I recently did a short offshore trip, for which I didn't want to start up a new X-Gate subscription.

Instead, I used the Iridium mail app on my iphone, which works through the Go

Iridium mail is free - all you need is an active iridium sim card.

you get an email address on the iridium web site using the sim phone number

This service will also restart failed or interrupted downloads.

The one downside - for me at least - is that i want to have the gribs on my laptop.., not on my phone.

It is possible to plug the phone into the laptop and use itunes to move the files - but it's a bit of a pain.

there is no win 10 client for the iridium mail account.

with x-gate, you can just use a win 10 client and download them directly to the laptop

robalex117

Super Anarchist
unknown, and not easily deciphered on the Sailmail site. Leaning to XGate for that reason
I had good luck using xgate.  The ability to rec connect and start downloads where they left off worked great.  Does anybody know if the GO has any filtering capablitiles so your computer does not start dowloading all sorts of stuff.  Last time I used iridium I used a headset and   used a redport device that you pluged the phone into and it turned it into a hotspot.  The redport only let certain data through.   Much easier than connecting the phone to the ever changing computer setups.    Negative was there was no ulmimited options and it ate up the minutes.

Hitchhiker

Hoopy Frood
Saquo-Pilia Hensha
I had good luck using xgate.  The ability to rec connect and start downloads where they left off worked great.  Does anybody know if the GO has any filtering capablitiles so your computer does not start dowloading all sorts of stuff.  Last time I used iridium I used a headset and   used a redport device that you pluged the phone into and it turned it into a hotspot.  The redport only let certain data through.   Much easier than connecting the phone to the ever changing computer setups.    Negative was there was no ulmimited options and it ate up the minutes.
I don't think that Go or any sat comms device has a built in filter program.

Glasswire is the go to software for filtering in my world.  www.glasswire.com

ulysses

I don't think that Go or any sat comms device has a built in filter program.

"Iridium Go" definitely has a firewall.  Part of bringing up a connection is specifying the firewall rules.

On the other hand, if you're using an Iridium handset (eg "Iridium Extreme 9575"), then you need a firewall.

BobJ

Super Anarchist
I spent some time on this today.  The Iridium Go! was adequate to request GRIBs from SailDocs but once received, what's the best way get them from the Go! Mail & Web app on the phone into my (windows) laptop and Zeus2 chartplotter?

Laptop:  It can see the Go! via local WiFi.  I'll bet there's a way to transfer the grib file to the laptop but I couldn't think of it.

Zeus2:  I Also have a Zeus3 in the cockpit that has local WiFi, and it's connected to the Zeus2 via ethernet cable.  I'm sure there's a way to do this without having to copy the downloaded grib file to a MicroSD card each time.

Another possible option is a USB cable between the Vesper XB-8000 and the laptop.  The Vesper is attached to the N2K backbone, as are the chartplotters.  The Vesper also has local WiFi.

I must be getting old (well, I am).  I can't wrap my head around this stuff.

hoektron

Gulf Coast, TX
I spent some time on this today.  The Iridium Go! was adequate to request GRIBs from SailDocs but once received, what's the best way get them from the Go! Mail & Web app on the phone into my (windows) laptop and Zeus2 chartplotter?

Laptop:  It can see the Go! via local WiFi.  I'll bet there's a way to transfer the grib file to the laptop but I couldn't think of it.

Zeus2:  I Also have a Zeus3 in the cockpit that has local WiFi, and it's connected to the Zeus2 via ethernet cable.  I'm sure there's a way to do this without having to copy the downloaded grib file to a MicroSD card each time.

Another possible option is a USB cable between the Vesper XB-8000 and the laptop.  The Vesper is attached to the N2K backbone, as are the chartplotters.  The Vesper also has local WiFi.

I know you said Saildocs, but if you want the absolute easiest way then get predictwind offshore on your computer and it will do all the downloading and display through the Go seamlessly. Very easy.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile

I gave up on that idea and am using Xgate and ancillary mail on the laptop via Iridium Go. Seems to be working well. Then it’s a quick load to expedition.

Latest posts