Offshore racing gear

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
I bought a set of the North offshore for the Bermuda 1-2, and they have held up well. They were pricey but they are comfortable and feel lighter than their offshore rating would assume. They were quite good in a 40 knot squall with horizontal rain.

For offshore racing (The Vic Maui ) how do you rate the Musto MPX against the Gill OS2 bibs? Any other recommendations?
I'd go with Musto being they are Gore-tex. Gill OS2 I believe is a coating vs a laminate like Gore. Laminates hold up much better the abuse. I have a ton of Musto gear and it all has held up really well. 

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
The NS offshore gear is made with Gore-tex pro. Only the fabric weights are different across the ranges.

https://webstore-gb.northsails.com/pages/technology

I've got a set of the Inshore trousers and Hybrid jacket which feel at least as solid as my old HPX kit but weighs a lot less. 

Also note that its Nigel Musto leading all this for Norths since Helly-Hansen bought out Musto(the company): https://www.yachtingworld.com/yachts-and-gear/north-sails-clothing-a-sailing-kit-revolution-132296

I would go with the MPX. The primary reason is that they are unlined where the OS2 are lined. Well, the OS2's I have are lined. Unlined shells dry way faster. The gore-tex is nice to have as well but not as big of motivator as it will soak thru as well. Just takes a bit longer and is a bit more breathable.  And you will want good foul weather gear for vic maui as the first 3-4 days and then a few more nights are a bit on the chilly side even though it is in July.  

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
bstrdsonofbtl said:
So that stuff is sized for athletes only 'cause I'm not that "large" but am right off their charts?

The range is from XS-4XL so pretty surprised you would size out if you don't consider yourself obese. I'm 6'3 and 188lbs this morning and the size L inshore jacket and trouser fit me nicely. The arms have a touch extra length relative to the overall size which makes it way more comfortable then any other jacket/smock i've used. Especially as the number of underlayers increases. 

The NS stuff does have a free 30 day return so you can just try for yourself what feels best size wise before you take the tags off.  

Only problem: fall overboard and you sink.

That danger — sailing gear that is negatively buoyant — is unfortunately pervasive.

The only non-deadly foul weather gear I have found is Stormr. It’s worse in every way, except in the two ways that will keep you from dying: thermal insulation and positive flotation.

Being thin and stretchy neoprene, it’s reasonably comfy to wear while actively moving around too. It’s not horrible. And it is literally the only gear that will not kill you.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
Only problem: fall overboard and you sink.

That danger — sailing gear that is negatively buoyant — is unfortunately pervasive.

The only non-deadly foul weather gear I have found is Stormr. It’s worse in every way, except in the two ways that will keep you from dying: thermal insulation and positive flotation.

Being thin and stretchy neoprene, it’s reasonably comfy to wear while actively moving around too. It’s not horrible. And it is literally the only gear that will not kill you.
what?? choosing OFFSHORE foul weather gear based on its buoyancy? do you choose your life jacket based on its color? Yeah, every time I sail in the rain, I have to stop my foulies from killing me. wtf? 

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
what?? choosing OFFSHORE foul weather gear based on its buoyancy? do you choose your life jacket based on its color? Yeah, every time I sail in the rain, I have to stop my foulies from killing me. wtf? 
Float coats are very worthwhile 

ive never used a Modern one , only the classic style … a bit bulky 

float coats are inshore equipment for colder climates 

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
Ryley, try stepping overboard in all your gear, after updating your will, and have your heirs report back on your last moments under the surface.
alright dude, whatever. I'll continue to choose my gear for it's purpose - foul weather gear to keep me dry and lifejackets to keep me afloat. 

T sailor

Chesapeake
Are you sure your waist measurement is accurate?  I am 5'-9" and 225 and my waist is 96 cm.  117cm would be a 46" waist.  

for what it is worth, I was in between a Large and XL for North gear.  Note that the offshore stuff is a bit roomier for layers for a given size.  

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Are you sure your waist measurement is accurate?  I am 5'-9" and 225 and my waist is 96 cm.  117cm would be a 46" waist.  

for what it is worth, I was in between a Large and XL for North gear.  Note that the offshore stuff is a bit roomier for layers for a given size.  
I’m 6’ at 180 and the XL size is best for most brands 

best if you first try the gear on 

Tylo

Sweden
bstrdsonofbtl said:
I'm 5'8" weigh 190# waist 117cm their chart below goes from xs - xxl.....

WAIST(CM)

79/83

83/87

87/91

92/96

96/101

101.5/106

Sure my gut could be smaller but no way am I obese.
I'm like between 5'9 and 5'10 and weigh around 180 lbs.
I bought an "Inshore Race Jacket" in size L and it fits great, I can wear two layers (one thin and one thick) underneath it if required.

I think you'll be fine with an L or an XL, but in case whatever you buy doesn't fit they're great with returns.
They ship the return form and label in the package so you don't have to apply for anything or print anything by yourself; just pack whatever you want to return, slap the label on and drop it off at a nearby service point. At least it works that way here in Europe where they ship with DHL.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
I'm like between 5'9 and 5'10 and weigh around 180 lbs.
I bought an "Inshore Race Jacket" in size L and it fits great, I can wear two layers (one thin and one thick) underneath it if required.

I think you'll be fine with an L or an XL, but in case whatever you buy doesn't fit they're great with returns.
They ship the return form and label in the package so you don't have to apply for anything or print anything by yourself; just pack whatever you want to return, slap the label on and drop it off at a nearby service point. At least it works that way here in Europe where they ship with DHL.
You just never know with sizes 

at present I’m wearing a Gill lightweight sailing jacket … not foul weather gear , lightweight watch jacket ..size XL good fit 

my foul weather jacket is a musto  size L good fit .  Sleeves a bit long , neck a bit tight 

you really must try them on 

as for best quality… who knows, seems all the gear I wear keeps you dry , some gear is more comfortable 

Helly  Hansen make nice gear .. I used the Salt model jacket and it was good all round 

Tylo

Sweden
You just never know with sizes 

at present I’m wearing a Gill lightweight sailing jacket … not foul weather gear , lightweight watch jacket ..size XL good fit 

my foul weather jacket is a musto  size L good fit .  Sleeves a bit long , neck a bit tight 

you really must try them on 

as for best quality… who knows, seems all the gear I wear keeps you dry , some gear is more comfortable 

Helly  Hansen make nice gear .. I used the Salt model jacket and it was good all round 
I agree, if I wanted to wear more or thicker layers under my North jacket I'd go up a size too. It's all preference and like you say important to try it on.

Therefore good to check things like return policies, especially when buying really expensive stuff like foulies!

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
I'm looking to upgrade from the WM "Third Reef" stuff, which turned out to be a joke, as far as being any form of "waterproof."  And it was recently stolen, so the burglar did me a favor.

I've long ago grown resigned to the fact that no clothes are made that fit me.  (52" chest, 34" waist). Everything seems to be  made for A-shaped or H-shaped people. Anybody ever come across V-shaped foulies?  Mustang doesn't even list a chest size above 37."  Gill lists big chest sizes in XXXL and XXXXL, but the rest of the thing would be like a tent.

If I'm gonna splurge that kind of cash, I'd like something that actually kindasorta fits.