Old racers sitting unloved, what are they?

Sooke, BC
Was up on Gabriola Island over the weekend, noticed a couple of racy looking numbers sitting unloved at the docks, kinda cool but much un-sailed it seems. Any idea what they are?

Traveller extends outside the deck, cassette rudder, huuuuge space behind the helm for hanging out.

GIHlsSS.jpg

Pretty sure the fishing station and BBQ wasn't standard

LJn89w5.jpg

This one was a bit of a mini Imoca60

phfiu80.jpg

d3ox2nb.jpg

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
Calling Uncle Krusty!  Perhaps he can shed some light on these.  I have seen the one with the weird traveller quite a bit - it has been slowly restored in the yard there over the last 15 years or so.   It seems to have slid back down the hill somewhat from the photos.

Someone told me the story behind that boat once, but I was probably drunk at the time and killed those brain cells.

Last edited by a moderator:

Expat Canuck

Anarchist
Salish Sea
The first one (the 40-ish footer) is a Russian built boat.  Despite the looks, it does get used a fair bit, albeit mostly for fishing these days.  At one time we were chatting about selling him some second (or fourth) hand sails from the ILC 40.

The second one came from the UK, I believe, and was raced in the OSTAR or something similar.  Last I heard, it was for sale by the kids of the very old (or perhaps deceased?) owner.

Expat Canuck

Anarchist
Salish Sea
The first one (the 40-ish footer) is a Russian built boat.  Despite the looks, it does get used a fair bit, albeit mostly for fishing these days.  At one time we were chatting about selling him some second (or fourth) hand sails from the ILC 40.

The second one came from the UK, I believe, and was raced in the OSTAR or something similar.  Last I heard, it was for sale by the kids of the very old (or perhaps deceased?) owner.

Well, I can't seem to edit my post.  I knew I should have checked before opening my mouth.

So, the correct information is (per the management of the resort where they are tied up):

The smaller one belongs to and is loved very much by Michael Birch.  https://www.yachtingworld.com/blogs/elaine-bunting/mike-birch-is-back-5346

And the larger one is in the probate process, so while looking a little shabby, she has a number of people hoping to continue her story.

Bugsy

Super Anarchist
Canada
That paint job on the topsides (first picture) is an abomination. 

Note that St Patrick's cross is missing from the painted on union jack (the red X).  That was the UK national flag some hundreds of years ago.... not sure what kind of statement is trying to be made.  

Otherwise a fine looking but sadly neglected boat.  

Mitre cut

NZ
It does look suspiciously like a horizontal bearing on that rutter, I'm sure the boat is full of special tricks like that.

bighugh

Well, I can't seem to edit my post.  I knew I should have checked before opening my mouth.

So, the correct information is (per the management of the resort where they are tied up):

The smaller one belongs to and is loved very much by Michael Birch.  https://www.yachtingworld.com/blogs/elaine-bunting/mike-birch-is-back-5346

And the larger one is in the probate process, so while looking a little shabby, she has a number of people hoping to continue her story.
I did a delivery from England to Italy with Mike Birch after the Admiral's Cup way back in 1975. He was by far the most accomplished sailor I ever sailed with and a terrific person as well. I treasure the memory.

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
wonder if the rutter on the first boat is designed to cant. If you look at the closeup it looks like a bearing in the tube in front of the stainless pintle thingy. 
It does, I wondered about that too. It also looks like the fasteners are suspiciously wimpy.

I wonder if this is a self-steering blade rather than a rudder.

FB- Doug