Old Skool gear

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Under severe pressure from SWMBO I tackled cleaning up my workbench this weekend. Under the workbench is a box of sailing stuff...blocks, fairleads, a couple of winches, shackles, wire and so on.  The sources for this stuff vary from relatively recent...a few months ago, to "lost in the mists of time". 

In the "Mists" category, I came across this little treasure from my days of racing Mercuries out of Stillwater Cove in 9th grade. SOMEWHERE....I think. I ~think~ I still have a Line Seven foulie jacket.

All right, what you got?

timer.JPG

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Under severe pressure from SWMBO I tackled cleaning up my workbench this weekend. Under the workbench is a box of sailing stuff...blocks, fairleads, a couple of winches, shackles, wire and so on.  The sources for this stuff vary from relatively recent...a few months ago, to "lost in the mists of time". 

In the "Mists" category, I came across this little treasure from my days of racing Mercuries out of Stillwater Cove in 9th grade. SOMEWHERE....I think. I ~think~ I still have a Line Seven foulie jacket.

All right, what you got?

View attachment 393623
I still use an ancient windup stop watch for things like bouy flash sequences 

hand tool

Alaris

Super Anarchist
Maryland
D0EB3E13-00C1-4A37-B529-A62634B1AE1D.jpeg

These came off the 1958 Block Island 40 many years ago. They are 60s era. Sent them to Switzerland for repair and mounted them on a piece of broken teak from the 40 to install in my vintage ride. Lots of very large blocks and fittings were in the same vicinity but would look less appropriate in the car. 

Last edited by a moderator:

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
What brand are those two large blocks on the left? Beautiful industrial design.
Made in the USA in the 60s and 70s by APM with stainless steel needle roller bearings.  Standard runner blocks on 12-metres, and mast-base blocks too.  Wonderful design and build.

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
View attachment 393696

These came off the 1958 Block Island 40 many years ago. They are 60s era. Sent them to Switzerland for repair and mounted them on a piece of broken teak from the 40 to install in my vintage ride. Lots of very large blocks and fittings were in the same vicinity but would look less appropriate in the car. 
Very nice!

Hobot just posted this pic on the Random Pic thread.  Looke like a Mille Miglia Jaguar.  You can see the two clocks on the dash, similar to yours.  Excellent.

View attachment 393732

Alaris

Super Anarchist
Maryland
I think it’s one of those “it’s always been done this way” kind of things. The sheets are spliced on. They’re the smallest ones that were available when the boat was built in the 90s so they are not nearly as gnarly as some of the ones I’ve seen but yes I agree soft shackles would probably be better.

Bowman only goes forward for the spinnaker set/douse and the mast is fine.