Old teak and holly sole

bgytr

Super Anarchist
Got the boards finished, the 2 boards at the base of the mast.   Got the teak faced marine plywood at Annapolis exotic woods and some maple strips from a basket making place online.  Cut some grooves and epoxied the strips in.  Sanded the boards smooth, and coated with a layer of epoxy.

One matches really well, the other has a bit of color mismatch.  Not sure why, both boards were adjacent on the original plywood.  The only thing I can think of is the second board I heated before the final epoxy coat to thin the epoxy a bit and somehow that changed the color a little.  It also made the resin glossier.  Maybe it will wear in with time.  Not perfect, but it will have to do for now.

20200905_175642_copy_655x1164.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bgytr

Super Anarchist
Good enough! On to the next item on the list...
Yup.. yesterday and today did 2 winches, redid my mast boot, stripped some cockpit coaming varnish, fixed hanging locker door, installed a nav table storage shelf, re-bedded the centerboard cable through deck fitting.   The list keeps going... but fun messing around on the boat.  Keeps me from smokin crack.

Elegua

Generalissimo
Yup.. yesterday and today did 2 winches, redid my mast boot, stripped some cockpit coaming varnish, fixed hanging locker door, installed a nav table storage shelf, re-bedded the centerboard cable through deck fitting.   The list keeps going... but fun messing around on the boat.  Keeps me from smokin crack.
Nice job! But honestly smoking crack might be cheaper if a touch less family friendly. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Irish River

Super Anarchist
BC
I refinished my parents solid teak n holly floor 20 years ago. Went through a lot of discs of the DA.  It came out really nice, they forgot what it had looked like. Most areas have a specialty wood supplier for high end builders/contractors. Ask a finishing carpenter or cabinet maker on one of the local mansions, he will tell you where to get the good stuff.

Foreverslow

Super Anarchist
for future consideration dept:  

If a small repair check about the boat as builders sometimes reuse scraps to keep costs down.

On Sabres, when you need to patch teak your teak n holly, you pull out one of the drawers and turn it upside down.

Presto!, the bottom is long rectangular piece of the same teak and holly plywood.  swap a piece of plywood into the drawer bottom, you now have have a perfect repair piece for the floor.