Older fast Aus multies

Recidivist

Super Anarchist
Phil's right, Big Bandicoot is still on the hard in Darwin, getting a superficial makeover with new windows etc. New mast as well - MUCH larger section, thankfully.

Mai Tai - Shockwave 37? If so, she's here as well. Brought to Darwin as an open decker, had a God Pod built on and won the 2010 Darwin- Ambon race, only to break up on the way home. Crew were rescued by a freighter and the boat later washed up on another island. Indo police towed it to Ambon and the owner went back, slapped some glass over a few of the fractures, lashed the hulls to the beams with the spinnaker sheets and sailed her 600 miles to windward to get home! She was sold and the new owner removed the God Pod, must have replaced or repaired the broken beams and launched her. I haven't seen her for a few months so I don't know if she's still here or sailed away.

Rawhide

Super Anarchist
Pittwater
Does anyone know what has become of the the old Nacra 36 or the Jutson formula 40, are they still out there racing or have they been converted to winnebago's.
The info on the Jutson 40 is in the Prosail 40 thread Just asked the same question.

The 36 Nacra is that Malice ?

Malice has a set of brand new carbon hulls under the old rig.The old hulls are somewhere in Port Douglas.Make Mal an offer.The Hammo boat is from the same mould as Malice but built to survey and is very heavy and quite slow.
New rig is on the way so if you make an offer you might as well make a offer for the whole lot. I am sure Mal will be happy to have a second 36 to play against.
Be nice to bring it back to Pittwater, can you PM me Mal's number please.

tri

Melbourne
/monthly_11_2011/post-33189-071193600%201320966353_thumb.jpgTalking of dissapearing boats.Where has Spirit gone?
As a family we moved to Seattle for 7 years and shipped the boat over and played around in the Pacific North West.

When George was kind enough not to renew our visas and we were all told to head back to Australia we decided to sell the boat.

She was purchased by a guy called Michael Reppy whose goal was to break the record for single handed SFO to Tokyo. The boat was then renamed as Dolphin Spirit http://www.dolphinspirit.org/ and was going to be used to highlight the issue of dolphin killings in Japan.....

The last thing I heard was that due to the issues in Japan this year that he put the boat up for sale... not sure if anyone bought it or not, but for the price they were offering a new owner would be getting a lot of bang for their buck.

Indian Chief

Sydney
/monthly_11_2011/post-33189-071193600%201320966353_thumb.jpgTalking of dissapearing boats.Where has Spirit gone?
As a family we moved to Seattle for 7 years and shipped the boat over and played around in the Pacific North West.

When George was kind enough not to renew our visas and we were all told to head back to Australia we decided to sell the boat.

She was purchased by a guy called Michael Reppy whose goal was to break the record for single handed SFO to Tokyo. The boat was then renamed as Dolphin Spirit http://www.dolphinspirit.org/ and was going to be used to highlight the issue of dolphin killings in Japan.....

The last thing I heard was that due to the issues in Japan this year that he put the boat up for sale... not sure if anyone bought it or not, but for the price they were offering a new owner would be getting a lot of bang for their buck.
Hey Rohan, i saw it up for sale for around 130K US. As you say a lot of bang for buck!!!!!

janj70

These two kicked ass about 16 years ago around the Whitsundays. This shot was taken last weekend at Moreton Island. Hot Vindaloo and Live Wire.

/monthly_11_2011/post-25551-089894000%201320997116_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• P1050151(5).JPG
    P1050151(5).JPG
    934.1 KB · Views: 14

Indian Chief

Sydney
What about Bagatelle, last known being rebuilt in Cairns and not far from finished but not heard anything now for sometime. Anyone have any news on its progress?

scottmax

Super Anarchist

Hey Rohan, i saw it up for sale for around 130K US. As you say a lot of bang for buck!!!!!
Just found out it has been sold to the guy who designed it in the US.

Give Rosco a call and I am sure he can do you a deal for a nice new carbon one with Carbon rig.

Just relised I replied to the wrong post. This is in regards to the Nacra 36

Last edited by a moderator:

Rawhide

Super Anarchist
Pittwater

Just found out it has been sold to the guy who designed it in the US.

Give Rosco a call and I am sure he can do you a deal for a nice new carbon one with Carbon rig.

Just relised I replied to the wrong post. This is in regards to the Nacra 36
Thats a bummer, would have been a cheap plaything.

ozmultis

Pic of Ocean Emu the other day.

/monthly_11_2011/post-25062-040863800%201321340516_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• emu.jpg
    emu.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 11
D flawless was the fastest multi in Brisbane - possibly Australia when I started sailing in the very early 80's.That boat used to do horizon jobs on the entire fleet.ended up on the bottom of the ocean after hitting a shipping container/whale? on the way back from NZ,.read the book years ago , good read.

Y-Bar

Super Anarchist
here is a couple more legends

/monthly_11_2011/post-7937-029417600%201321356864_thumb.jpg

/monthly_11_2011/post-7937-001287700%201321356926_thumb.jpg

cant fail to mention a true legend Lock Crowther

Attachments

• AustraliaChild.jpg
    AustraliaChild.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 11
  • johnwest.jpg
    johnwest.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 12

envy

Anarchist
Ahhh that fantastic designed 40 Crowther tri - Bullfrog etc is really my all time favorite boat.

heres a movie http://currentsunshine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/verbatim480-1.mov
Thanks for the clip
Now has been made "eco friendly" ( no poluting engine) but don't know how 1 tonne of batteries helps it to sail faster ?

Also, was that extra weight allowed for in the original specs.? Seems to me modern boats are going lighter.

Speaking of lighter, will there be anymore Aus. line honours winners with cabins ? or are we going to be big "off the beach" multis ?

Like Raw to the core, Mad max, Nacra, Spud gun, Rapid ride, Seacart 26 or even Extreem 40 or AC 45.

WetnWild

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
Here's Big Bandicoot in Darwin a bit over 2 years ago.

/monthly_11_2011/post-46369-017996000%201321393510_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• Darwin trip 2009 029.jpg
    Darwin trip 2009 029.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 14

WetnWild

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
And right beside Big Bandicoot - another classic - Des Grummitt's Sea Mist. Originally from Brisbane, then Cairns and sold by Des to Darwin.

/monthly_11_2011/post-46369-082459800%201321393866_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• Darwin trip 2009 032.jpg
    Darwin trip 2009 032.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 15

tri

Melbourne
Pic of Ocean Emu the other day.

/monthly_11_2011/post-25062-040863800%201321340516_thumb.jpg
Looks just as good in green as she did in pink.... thanks for the update photo as I still think if you wanted to cruise the world she was an ideal design for it.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile

Yep - still for sale

grainger tri