Older fast Aus multies

PIL66 - XL2

Super Anarchist
Stralya
Wait, what?!?  There was a Corsair 36 catamaran??  We are not talking Farrier catamaran?  We are not talking Corsair trimaran?  A Corsair 36 catamaran??  I didn't even know such a thing existed.  Just learned something I guess.
Yes they existed and someone here will know the full story of how it was to be called a Corsair.

The Parallax 11 deck molds were modified to increase freeboard and add the bridgedeck saloon and bridge brake as i called it... I don't think Robin Chamberlin was involved or drew the square "brake" under the bridgedeck but I could be wrong... There would have been 5 or more originally built before the molds were sold ...For the 90's it had a modern look and is still holds it's own today.

My old man built a beautiful Cole 46 mono at the Traditional Yachts factory at Terry Hills before they went bust but I was always into him about multis and eventually I wore him down so in the late 90's he saw a brochure (That i strategically placed in his hands)at the Sydney boat show on the corsair 36 cat from a hugely overweight dude (His name escapes me) who opened a boat building yard in Brisbane north of the bridge... This guy had about 10 boat molds from Adams 12 to sport boats and the Corsair mold. We negotiated a ridiculously cheap build deal with him as it was to be the first boat and future show boat.  After the hull was built, he went broke taking everyone's money but we had building experience so we, unlike the rest, owned our boat at every stage of the build and saved the build other than hatches and winches that every other owner stole at the time. We then struck a deal with the Bergs at Allyacht Spars to rent a shed and finish it. We organised in a weekend midnight raid on the yard with military precision, cranes and a semi and we lifted and trucked it over the bridge to Lytton and were able to finished it. We are still grateful for their assistance on this and what goes around comes around so i just ordered a big ticket item from Joel at Allyacht.   
   I think ours was the last one built. 

It was a great cruising boat for my Mum and Dad... It go me and all my mates out to surf the reefs whenever the swell was big and I used it as a party barge and shag pad. Good times

A mate of mine owned the Parallax 9 Intrinsic for a few years (ex Don McWatters). Great pocket cruiser and we crossed the bay many times in her.

I think this is a different boat, now for sale: https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/sailing-boats/parallax-9/239287
I sailed against Intrinsic a few times back in the day and it was a very impressive little boat that in it's conditions was very quick... I always wanted to buy it 

Last edited by a moderator:

Wess

Super Anarchist
Yes they existed and someone here will know the full story of how it was to be called a Corsair.

The Parallax 11 deck molds were modified to increase freeboard and add the bridgedeck saloon and bridge brake as i called it... I don't think Robin Chamberlin was involved or drew the square "brake" under the bridgedeck but I could be wrong... There would have been 5 or more originally built before the molds were sold ...For the 90's it had a modern look and is still holds it's own today.

My old man built a Cole 46 at the Traditional Yachts factory at Terry Hills before they went bust and I was into him about multis so in the late 90's he saw a brochure at the Sydney boat show on the corsair 36 cat from a hugely overweight dude (His name escapes me) who opened a yard in Brisbane north of the bridge... This guy had about 10 boat molds from Adams 12 to sport boats and the Corsair mold. We negotiated a ridiculously cheap build deal with him and after the hull was built, he went broke taking everyone money. We had building experience so owned our boar at every stage and saved the build other than hatches and winches that every other owner stole at the time. We then struck a deal with the Bergs at Allyacht Spars and trucked it over the bridge in the dead of night and were able to finished it. I think ours was the last one built.

It was a great cruising boat for my mum and Dad... and I used it as a party barge

I sailed against Intrinsic a few times back in the day and it was a very impressive little boat that in it's conditions was very quick... I always wanted to buy it 
Damn.  That is an interesting historical tidbit.  Thanks for sharing.

craig fraser

Brisbane

My old man built a beautiful Cole 46 mono at the Traditional Yachts factory at Terry Hills before they went bust but I was always into him about multis and eventually I wore him down so in the late 90's he saw a brochure (That i strategically placed in his hands)at the Sydney boat show on the corsair 36 cat from a hugely overweight dude (His name escapes me) who opened a boat building yard in Brisbane north of the bridge... This guy had about 10 boat molds from Adams 12 to sport boats and the Corsair mold. We negotiated a ridiculously cheap build deal with him as it was to be the first boat and future show boat.  After the hull was built, he went broke taking everyone's money but we had building experience so we, unlike the rest, owned our boat at every stage of the build and saved the build other than hatches and winches that every other owner stole at the time. We then struck a deal with the Bergs at Allyacht Spars to rent a shed and finish it. We organised in a weekend midnight raid on the yard with military precision, cranes and a semi and we lifted and trucked it over the bridge to Lytton and were able to finished it. We are still grateful for their assistance on this and what goes around comes around so i just ordered a big ticket item from Joel at Allyacht.   
   I think ours was the last one built. 

It was a great cruising boat for my Mum and Dad... It go me and all my mates out to surf the reefs whenever the swell was big and I used it as a party barge and shag pad. Good times

That's a great story Pil, would like a dollar for every boat builder in the Hemmant area that's gone bust over the years

plywoodboy

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
Bottman said:
Dear Pillock, what I have heard is that far more than $240,000 was spent on Ave and she is still slow, is that correct ? Bottman
No, Ave looks great, sails great, and the people on her were lovely when they were over here.

Bottman, please put your energy into your reno so we can celebrate your success one day in a positive way.

Peter

DtM

Super Anarchist
Out of the Office
He has publicly taken responsibility on more than one occasion.

I would go sailing again with him anytime. 

Go sailing with you (and feel safe)? Not a chance in hell.

Geese

There was a Corsair 36’ catamaran named  Parallax for sale in Hampton Virginia around 2015. I peeked at it from another boat but yes the bridge deck clearance seemed low to me even back then as I was just getting interested in multi hulls. Pil I wish I was around for one of those surf trips! Rented an Athena 38 and did that in Nicaragua last summer. 

PIL66 - XL2

Super Anarchist
Stralya
There was a Corsair 36’ catamaran named  Parallax for sale in Hampton Virginia around 2015. I peeked at it from another boat but yes the bridge deck clearance seemed low to me even back then as I was just getting interested in multi hulls. Pil I wish I was around for one of those surf trips! Rented an Athena 38 and did that in Nicaragua last summer. 
@Geese  I will search and post a video called 2230 from a guy named Chris Stroh from Cronulla.  It was a particular huge east coast swell we had (2002..?) The Shark Island classic was cancelled so we rounded up 15 local guys on board and motored to the 5th left of the Merries reef off Boat harbour Kurnell dodging bombs across Bate Bay... It was a very dangerous day and I couldn't surf as there were sneaker sets every 15-20 minutes. I had to motor constantly with lookouts... The footage is amazing...My father never found out untill years later when we showed him. 

I believe the Parallax 11 was first built by Ostac yachts in the early to mid 90's in Brisbane. The model was called Corsair 36.... Here is a pic I found of whats seems to be a modified one I had not seen before with center boards called Deva...https://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f32/38-catamaran-for-sale-4132.html... looks good.. It has a look more like Robins X beam XS... Another boat I love

I hope someone here has the the Ostac story

Also... Another boat I liked and would love to know it's whereabouts is Brandy Creek Ferry. I think it was a 26ft grainger... Anyone remember or know if it survived...?

For those wondering, I will post pics of XL2 in a couple of months... Thanks @DtM... will be in touch

I apologize to all for poking you know who and will now exercise my ignore button.... 

Parallax 11.jpg

Parallax 11 ....jpg

@Geese  I will search and post a video called 2230 from a guy named Chris Stroh from Cronulla.  It was a particular huge east coast swell we had (2002..?) The Shark Island classic was cancelled so we rounded up 15 local guys on board and motored to the 5th left of the Merries reef off Boat harbour Kurnell dodging bombs across Bate Bay... It was a very dangerous day and I couldn't surf as there were sneaker sets every 15-20 minutes. I had to motor constantly with lookouts... The footage is amazing...My father never found out untill years later when we showed him. 

I believe the Parallax 11 was first built by Ostac yachts in the early to mid 90's in Brisbane. The model was called Corsair 36.... Here is a pic I found of whats seems to be a modified one I had not seen before with center boards called Deva...https://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f32/38-catamaran-for-sale-4132.html... looks good.. It has a look more like Robins X beam XS... Another boat I love

Also... Another boat I liked and would love to know it's whereabouts is Brandy Creek Ferry. I think it was a 26ft grainger... Anyone remember or know if it survived...?

For those wondering, I will post pics of XL2 in a couple of months... Thanks @DtM... will be in touch

I apologize to all for poking you know who and will now exercise my ignore button.... 

View attachment 352404

View attachment 352405
Hi Pil, those above photos are of Kialani. It was built by Ostac using the hull moulds of the parallax but with the deck design done by Tony Lawnton. It was built for Rob Cleveland an American expat who lived at Coolum with his Aussie wife and family. Rob was a good surfer and sailor and pushed his boat hard, I did a few races out of Mooloolaba on her and when the conditions were right we would take her to Old Woman Island to surf the excellent left hander there. This was during the early 90’s.

cynophobe

Super Anarchist
Airlie Beach

View attachment 352404

View attachment 352405
Unfortunately Brandy Creek Ferry was wrecked in a big Northerlie a few years back. Something like 20 boats ended up on the bricks that day. 

Back in the 90's there was a Corsair 36 in charter with the Moorings on Hamilton Island. Really cool looking boat but a bugger to work on. The only other cat in charter then was Winkali, the first Seawind 1000. Will never forget looking in the engine bay and thinking the engine had fallen off its mounts. My first encounter with a bloody Bukh 

PIL66 - XL2

Super Anarchist
Stralya
I recently went to Peter Gows 80th and he gave me a bunch of pics so here they are...
Launching of Rob Mundles Catamundlepidgeons.... Crowther Catana 42..?  Then Peter Gows Simply the Best (stretched 46)... Now White Noise... Anyone know the year..?
Great boat and quick for it's day.... should have won the Gladstone back in the day but pipped by Kim on Alpha century due to a "Zero sail measurement dispute)..

Most epic sound system I'd ever heard anywhere..... Pete owned Miranda Hi- Fi chain  (And the Crowther Shockwave 37 of the same name)

Boats_00032B.jpg

Boats_00004B.jpg

PIL66 - XL2

Super Anarchist
Stralya
Another Crowther owned by Pete before Simply the Best was Duet... Of course Pete spent a bomb on it with new noses as later pics will show..... someone will know more of the story... Paul Nudd or Cruisey... Did Cruisey build that wing mast.... Technical stuff back then...

Peter apparently had a share in famous Simply the Best F40 (Many Line wins in the Gladstone)with Jamie Morris I am told... Could someone confirm this...? I doubt he sailed on it though.

More pics to come or Peters other boats

Boats_00019B.jpg

Boats_00020B.jpg

Boats_00021B.jpg

Boats_00022B.jpg

3B Duet_00007A.jpg

3B Duet_00017A.jpg

3B Duet_00020A.jpg

Boats_00024B.jpg

MRS OCTOPUS

Anarchist
AUSTRALIA
Duet changed hands and become SCREAMER.

Ken the new owner capsized at some stage and rebuilt the very heavy wooden wing.

After getting in a heap of trouble, and apparently  spending time in the Big House he supposedly skipped bail and ended up in Darwin. Damaged the boat on the reefs around the Vernon Islands on the way.

Whilst sailing back to the East Coast single handed  he disappeared.

The boat fetched up near Cape Hotham and has gone through 2 owners since.

The last I heard it was renamed CUCI MATA and the colour scheme  has finally been changed.  (Not that it was bad it was just the association it drew with 

a notorious previous owner  :eek: )

View attachment 354133

Recidivist

Super Anarchist
Duet/Screamer/Cuci Mata no longer has the wing mast, which apparently was very heavy.  The owner before the current one obtained a 42' masthead rig from a mono, and was looking for a way to add a few feet.  At the same time, I had a 50' fractional rig lighter tapered section that I was concerned was too big for my 34' project cat - which is intended as a coastal cruiser.  So, we swapped. 

Last time I saw it, the wing mast was lashed to the fence at the MANTA (Multihull Association Northern Territory Australia) boatyard in Darwin.  I reckon a carton would secure it.

MRS OCTOPUS

Anarchist
AUSTRALIA
Sorry PIL66 I typed my message within your quote snip.

Now I can't change it

Apologies. 

Recidivist, I did here some one was sniffing  around the wing mast  so it may have already found a new owner. Unsure though.