Older fast Aus multies

envy

Anarchist
Here's an oldie. My dad built this Crowther Tempest 33 (Wildcry) back in the late 70s. He put a 46 foot rig on it and weighing in at only 2,200 kgs, it was the quickie of the Victorian multihull fleet. Wildcry went on to win everything on offer in Victoria durning the late 70s and early 80s. Unfortunately after he sold it in the early 90s it dragged anchor and was wrecked on South Percy Island. We did many Melbourne - Devonport races and other coastal races in Victoria as well as regular racing in Westernport and Port Philip bays. Dad pulled out of a race in the mid 80s and decided to take up cruising. He left Melbourne and curised the East coast living on it for 6 years until he had to upgrade to a bigger boat due to pressure from his lady. He purchased a modified Crowther 10 cat and cruised it for 7 years. /monthly_11_2011/post-38887-070001900%201321831408_thumb.jpgHe then sold that cat and at 62 years of age built an Oram 43 cat ( Starfire) in 13 months for under 100K. Now at 74 he decided to go cruising internationally. He left Darwin with his lady back in July and he arrived in Singapore just a week ago. Go dad!!!!!
Darren you have hi-jacked the thread from old Multi's to old Dad

don't blame ya, good bloke your dad

Last edited by a moderator:

craig fraser

Brisbane
Wow, fantastic reminiscing here on these old superboats. Some BrsVegas updates:

I believe the Firetruck sank for a day recently when a gland failed. She was safe inside Scarborough Harbour on pile moorings until greed ripped them out for a bigger (empty) marina and all the old boats got pushed out into the bay.

Ocean Emu has had an average of one sail per year since the upgrade, and although the paint job is awesome, she is not going as fast as she looks.

Assassin was up the river for a while.

Cliffhanger should be added to the list and she just fronted for the nats and looked damn fine for an old girl. I have the trophies for the owner if anyone can find her for us?

And the Sea Mist... I was lucky enough to cross the bay in the blink of an eye to do one of her first races with Des while the inside was unpainted ply, and the back beam was flexing up at least 200 mm under mainsheet load in the puffs. Felt OK when on one hull, just a lot of WTF OMG and spray. When we flogged the unbeatable Ben Bolt in that race, her owner (clubhouse keyholder) stayed out on the mooring while the rest of us waited for someone else to get a key to let us in the clubhouse for a drink.

Ahh to dream of the old days after a perfect weekend of Bribie Cup racing in 12 knots NE Saturday and then a cruise today in 20 knots N for a return trip from the Sandhills on Moreton to Sandgate leads in 80 minutes. Maybe the caravan will feature here one day.
Cliffhanger's owner is Glenn on 0417620706

PIL66 - XL2

Super Anarchist
Stralya
Here's an oldie. My dad built this Crowther Tempest 33 (Wildcry) back in the late 70s. He put a 46 foot rig on it and weighing in at only 2,200 kgs, it was the quickie of the Victorian multihull fleet. Wildcry went on to win everything on offer in Victoria durning the late 70s and early 80s. Unfortunately after he sold it in the early 90s it dragged anchor and was wrecked on South Percy Island. We did many Melbourne - Devonport races and other coastal races in Victoria as well as regular racing in Westernport and Port Philip bays. Dad pulled out of a race in the mid 80s and decided to take up cruising. He left Melbourne and curised the East coast living on it for 6 years until he had to upgrade to a bigger boat due to pressure from his lady. He purchased a modified Crowther 10 cat and cruised it for 7 years. /monthly_11_2011/post-38887-070001900%201321831408_thumb.jpgHe then sold that cat and at 62 years of age built an Oram 43 cat ( Starfire) in 13 months for under 100K. Now at 74 he decided to go cruising internationally. He left Darwin with his lady back in July and he arrived in Singapore just a week ago. Go dad!!!!!
Darren you have hi-jacked the thread from old Multi's to old Dad

don't blame ya, good bloke your dad
It seems you had no mono/multi choice........I hope i'm doing that at 74....in fact i hope i'm doing anything at 74....

Corley

I'm restoring a C Class trimaran Lock Crowthers original Kraken 25 this was one of Lock's earliest tri's around 1962. Hope to do some club racing with the Multihull Yacht Club of Victoria on the boat. I reckon we'll do ok when the wind is light.

/monthly_11_2011/post-33468-053137100%201321920455_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• Kraken 25 racing in the 60\'s.jpg
    Kraken 25 racing in the 60\'s.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 12

Rawhide

Super Anarchist
Pittwater
I'm restoring a C Class trimaran Lock Crowthers original Kraken 25 this was one of Lock's earliest tri's around 1962. Hope to do some club racing with the Multihull Yacht Club of Victoria on the boat. I reckon we'll do ok when the wind is light.
Keep us upto date with your progress with some photo's. Do you know whether this was the only one built?

Corley

/monthly_11_2011/post-33468-084094500%201321939236_thumb.jpg

Keep us upto date with your progress with some photo's. Do you know whether this was the only one built?

I have a build log up on boatdesign.net

Kraken 25 build log

I've rebuilt the main hull from scratch luckily I had a photocopy of the original plans out of scale but able to rescale quite well. I'm up to the final lamination of the main hull triple diagonal cold molding with about 1 1/2 of the main hull to finish. I also found the floats were too rotted out to reuse so I'm building a new set in double diagonal using the original float with the outer layer removed as a base the new floats will be a shade wider but should make no difference at all to performance. I'm looking forward to turning the main hull prior to Christmas and aim to get the boat on the water by mid 2012.

I've saved a few bits from the original boat the rudder blade and stock, the original daggerboard, the mast and boom and the crossbeams will be salvageable. The original hulls were just too far gone to be worth rebuilding.

There were a few Kraken 25's built, one called Jabberwock was built by Martin Cooper in Queensland. I recall reading about a Kraken 25 in the states that carried the sail number 45 so quite a few plan sets were sold.

Attachments

• kraken 25 main hull final triple diagonal lamination.jpg
    kraken 25 main hull final triple diagonal lamination.jpg
    770.5 KB · Views: 5

DaveK

Super Anarchist

Kraken 25 build log

That's awesome! I'll follow this! Love the traps too!

I've rebuilt the main hull from scratch luckily I had a photocopy of the original plans out of scale but able to rescale quite well. I'm up to the final lamination of the main hull triple diagonal cold molding with about 1 1/2 of the main hull to finish. I also found the floats were too rotted out to reuse so I'm building a new set in double diagonal using the original float with the outer layer removed as a base the new floats will be a shade wider but should make no difference at all to performance. I'm looking forward to turning the main hull prior to Christmas and aim to get the boat on the water by mid 2012.

I've saved a few bits from the original boat the rudder blade and stock, the original daggerboard, the mast and boom and the crossbeams will be salvageable. The original hulls were just too far gone to be worth rebuilding.

There were a few Kraken 25's built, one called Jabberwock was built by Martin Cooper in Queensland. I recall reading about a Kraken 25 in the states that carried the sail number 45 so quite a few plan sets were sold.

Kraken 25 build log

Minor point. The Kraken 25 may well be 25 feet long, she is almost certainly wider than 14 feet and she quite possibly, or even probably has more than 300 square feet of sail, but she is not a C Class, which in addition to those beam and sail area limits states right at the beginning of the rules that a C Class is a catamaran. I know that the Bard said "what's in a name" but Kraken 25 is fine, a C Class is not..

Rawhide

Super Anarchist
Pittwater

Kraken 25 build log

Minor point. The Kraken 25 may well be 25 feet long, she is almost certainly wider than 14 feet and she quite possibly, or even probably has more than 300 square feet of sail, but she is not a C Class, which in addition to those beam and sail area limits states right at the beginning of the rules that a C Class is a catamaran. I know that the Bard said "what's in a name" but Kraken 25 is fine, a C Class is not..
I may be wrong but I was under the impression that the original C class rules (and D, B and A as well) did not have the catamaran restriction and it was a later amendment?

Rawhide

Super Anarchist
Pittwater

Kraken 25 build log

Sounds like the restoration I did to my grandfathers axe!

Indian Chief

Sydney

Kraken 25 build log

When i was about 16 (33 years ago) a long time multihull builder in Victoria now living in Queensland called Wayne Barrett built a really nice Kraken 18. Last heard it was on Lake Eppalock i believe. i think yours was on the Gippsland lakes for a long time. if its the one there's a photo of it in Paynseville Yacht Club's foyer when Lock was racing it there.

Corley

The boat was designed at the time to meet the C class box rule as they stood at the time its 25' x 14' and has 300 sqft of sail. I know Lock was irritated that tri's could not race in C class.

The boat was the same that lived down on the Gippsland Lakes later it was sailed out of Frankston Yacht Club then my parents bought the boat and Sailed it out of Blairgowrie Yacht Squadron on the Mornington Peninsula. I hope to take it down there to race when its all ready to go.

waikikin

Sydney
I remember Wildcry, & was cruising nearby when she was lost on Percy, last saw her at Great Keppel, also known to us as the green gerkins cos of her colour I suppose. Also pretty sure I met your Dad, I think he was doing masseur/sport therapy or somesuch. All the best.

PIL66 - XL2

Super Anarchist
Stralya
Just got back from Port Douglas and spotted what appeared to be either a nacra 36 or similar on its road trailer. Can any one confirm this. It seemed to be in good nick but out in the sun with no cover.

cynophobe

Super Anarchist
Airlie Beach
/monthly_11_2011/post-33189-070365300%201322430048_thumb.jpg

Just got back from Port Douglas and spotted what appeared to be either a nacra 36 or similar on its road trailer. Can any one confirm this. It seemed to be in good nick but out in the sun with no cover.
If it was covered in graphics it was the new carbon N36 Malice.It lives in Prt Douglas.The original hulls are up there too.

Attachments

• malice shot_150x150_p1 - Copy (3).jpg
    malice shot_150x150_p1 - Copy (3).jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:

PIL66 - XL2

Super Anarchist
Stralya

If it was covered in graphics it was the new carbon N36 Malice.It lives in Prt Douglas.The original hulls are up there too.

Thanks Chippy, that be her.....wouldn't you by a cheap tarp or some thing similar....?

scottmax

Super Anarchist

Thanks Chippy, that be her.....wouldn't you by a cheap tarp or some thing similar....?
What you saw wouldn't be the normal. Mal looks after his boats much better than most. It would have been temporary for sure.

He also sail pretty regularly in the local scene around Cairns as well.

Tornado807

Super Anarchist
Vancouver, BC
At least I knew, there was/is a Nacra 36 in SoCal..."2 of 10". Had been moth-balled in a warehouse for the past few years...but it gave us some good races around the channel islands aboard Afterburner (52 ft Bladerunner).

Latest posts