Older fast Aus multies

Anyone know what happened to Logan Apperlys Kraken 40, "Mana Moana".

She broke the Sydney-NZ record on her maiden voyage with Lock Crowther aboard.

Logan sold her after she was pitchpoled in Manly(NSW)Harbour.

Also "Ringo" Dave Greens Kraken 40 which set a record for the New York-Bermuda race. Ringo was sold to Mike Kane in So Cal and I don't know what happened to her either :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Y-Bar

Super Anarchist

Also "Ringo" Dave Greens Kraken 40 which set a record for the New York-Bermuda race. Ringo was sold to Mike Kane in So Cal and I don't know what happened to her either :(
This is the only Kraken I know about. Dont know whether it flipped in Manly though.

http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/triad.html

There was the 37 Yumi Maru.

At least I knew, there was/is a Nacra 36 in SoCal..."2 of 10". Had been moth-balled in a warehouse for the past few years...but it gave us some good races around the channel islands aboard Afterburner (52 ft Bladerunner).
So, a Tornado sailor,living in Vancouver, one time crew member on Afterburner. I trust that you are a member of the BCMS and if so I could use your expertise re Tornado rigs for my single handed,day sailing, old C Class platform.

PIL66 - XL2

Super Anarchist
Stralya

This is the only Kraken I know about. Dont know whether it flipped in Manly though.

http://www.thecoasta....com/triad.html

Small world.......I see Phil Webb (owner of Triad)regularly as we both race Superkarts around Australia........very sad story that....he's an absolute lovely guy.

Y-Bar

Super Anarchist

Small world.......I see Phil Webb (owner of Triad)regularly as we both race Superkarts around Australia........very sad story that....he's an absolute lovely guy.
Hey Pil Happy New Year

I remember it sitting in Montys rotting away years ago maybe before Phil got hold of it.

Credits to The Coastal Passage didnt notice the copyright at the bottom of the page first off.

Corley

Hey Pil Happy New Year

I remember it sitting in Montys rotting away years ago maybe before Phil got hold of it.

Credits to The Coastal Passage didnt notice the copyright at the bottom of the page first off.
I thought Yumi Maru was a Kraken 55? Or was there more than one tri with the same name?

envy

Anarchist

Yep - showed that to Darren (ex owner) several months ago when it came up on Crew Org NZ

I like the big patches on the sails, and the easy single - handed ability ( schreecher and all) :p

Here is a question for you and Tony G how much faster would a new carbon "Twinblade 45" be

Would they do the B2G, be as fast as the AC45, why don't people go with the tried and tested designers

Who are all these new designers and what experience do they have, all of a sudden every second marine architect has a catamaran design that claims racing success and with a glossy web page ?????

Rawhide

Super Anarchist
Pittwater
Thats a great promotional MH video, highlights all the best aspects, no crew hastles effortless speed, relaxed sailing, beers don't spill. Don't know how he gets away advertising day charters, NZ regs can't be that different to ours, and aint no way that boat is in survey.

Corley

I recall reading somewhere that whole sections of the hull were "breathing" in and out on Flat Chat on the ocean swells when she crossed the Tasman. It all sounded a bit of a concern but they got there.

cynophobe

Super Anarchist
Airlie Beach
I recall reading somewhere that whole sections of the hull were "breathing" in and out on Flat Chat on the ocean swells when she crossed the Tasman. It all sounded a bit of a concern but they got there.

Cynophobe does the same thing .With the hatches shut she's basicly airtight and you can feel the pressure change on your ear drums.The leward hull in a bit of sea is not a fun place to be for too long.

Tornado807

Super Anarchist
Vancouver, BC
At least I knew, there was/is a Nacra 36 in SoCal..."2 of 10". Had been moth-balled in a warehouse for the past few years...but it gave us some good races around the channel islands aboard Afterburner (52 ft Bladerunner).
So, a Tornado sailor,living in Vancouver, one time crew member on Afterburner. I trust that you are a member of the BCMS and if so I could use your expertise re Tornado rigs for my single handed,day sailing, old C Class platform.
Be glad to help you out. You can reach me to exchange contact details via Private Message on this site...

Cheers.

Indian Chief

Sydney

Cynophobe does the same thing .With the hatches shut she's basicly airtight and you can feel the pressure change on your ear drums.The leward hull in a bit of sea is not a fun place to be for too long.
Yeah Flatty was a special boat!!! when we sold it to the guy that sailed it to NZ, ( Craig) i remember him calling me 2 or 3 days out on his sat phone sounding very concerned. They were 600 odd miles off Sydney. The boat was going along fine in 35 knots on the nose. they had 3 reefs in and the storm jib up but his concern was that the hull soles and sides below the gunwales were pumping and the dagger board cases were twisting a bit. Once i said that was all normal stuff for the boat offshore, he sighed and said thank god for that, thanks i'll let the boys know they will also be happy to hear that. The hulls really did pump offshore. it felt weird standing on the soles of the hulls feeling your feet moving up and down or your shoulders being pressed by the hull sides with the movement of the hulls.

it was certainly a great Kiwi effort to sail it across the ditch. i also remember on the day Craig came for the test sail. As we sailed down Pittwater on one hull with him smiling ear to ear he said "forget the survey, i'm buying it". i then said ok lets organise the shipping to NZ. He then looked at me strangely and said Oh no.... we will sail it back. Within 30 minutes he had called 3 of his mates, booked them flights and they left 3 days later after paying for the boat in full. i think it took them 5 days to get to Nelson.

As for it being in charter, yes it is.. but only in NZ. i also cant believe it got into charter but it is NZ rules after all.

I still ponder the idea of building a 46 foot Flat Chat. I was in Phuket with Tony G a few months back and we spoke about it then, however i'd want little blisters following the lines of the cabin shape in towards the centre of the boat to allow for 2 decent bunks instead of trying to sleep under the cockpits which was a shitter during an ocean race. Long live Flatty!

Older fast Aussie multis?

Mosquito! 40 years of nationals this year.

mosquioto-racing.jpg

A CLASS of racing catamaran designed in Darwin in 1966 has celebrated 40 years of national racing.The five-metre Mosquito, designed by Darwin man and prolific small-boat designer Neil Fowler, has changed a lot in its 46 years of development, but attracted 28 boats to the 40th national championship in Rivoli Bay, South Australia this month

SA Mosquito president Graeme Davies said the boat is an Aussie icon.

"This uniquely Australian boat continues to thrill Australian sailors young and old," he said.

It is raced in SA, Victoria, New South Wales and South Africa, but a Mossie sailing in Darwin is now a rare sight.

The nationals were last held in Darwin in the mid-80s.

The boat can be raced with either one sail or two, for one or two people, and is made from fibreglass or wood.

Mr Fowler designed several other boats; the 4.3-meter Arrow class catamaran - of which several sail regularly in Darwin - in 1964, the 3.5-meter Arafura Cadet catamaran in 1963, and also the Red Baron cruising catamaran, the BlackWitch cat, and the Mynx class.

He died in 2006 aged 84.