Older well known IOR Boats

K9u20

Ft Lauderdale
What older well known IOR boats are sailing in your area ?

Where is:

Running Tide

America Jane 3

Williwaw (s)

Locura (s)

Obsession

Aries (s)

Love Machine (s)

Evergreen

Carat (s)

Bull Frog

Ondine (s)

Intuition (s)

The fleet of IOR 50's

ETC

barleymalt

Super Anarchist
Michigan
Or the old IOR Maxis...

Kialoa(s)

Windward Passage - Southern Cali

Matador

Ondine

Masker/DanceII

Congere

Boomerang

Sassy - Chicago

etc..

A bunch of the old fifties are in Mexico, still several in the GL as well.

savoir

Super Anarchist
Just that you asked this question shows that you have never steered a Peterson boat downwind in a blow. There is a reason that none of them have dirty spreaders.

Trust me. Bruce Farr and Monique did us all a huge favour.

savoir

Super Anarchist
Who cares where they are. They were bitches of things to sail and stupid designs with the pinched in transoms, fat beams, bumps and all that.

Kialoa, Ondine and Windward Passage were not IOR. That's why they were so good, except for the blue pig.

The Goose

newps
The 81' Boomerang is now the Hexe and was at NEB this summer. Don't forget Doug Peterson's best boat, the Peterson 42 Settler! Still around and kicking ass

K9u20

Ft Lauderdale
Several Ondines were IOR designs. Ondine XI and Ondine XII were both designed to the IOR. My opinion is that the IOR rule promoted slower designs then could normally be designed for that size of boat. I am curious as to where they are, not how well or poorly they sail.

Go Left

Super Anarchist
Seattle
Who cares where they are. They were bitches of things to sail and stupid designs with the pinched in transoms, fat beams, bumps and all that.
Kialoa, Ondine and Windward Passage were not IOR. That's why they were so good, except for the blue pig.
The Blue Pig - the '73' Ondine - is now in Seattle sailing as Atalanta. Locally known as "The Lost Continent", it is now mercifully white not that baby blue. Actually raced pretty hard and does OK if there's a breeze at a PHRF rating of 15.

Now Windward Passage was/is an awesome boat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris 249

Super Anarchist
Ondines III (Chance approx 1974), IV (Milgram 1978?) and V (Frers) were designed to the IOR.

Kialoa III (S&S '74?) and IV (Holland '79?) and V (Frers) were designed to the IOR.

Lots of people found the IOR boats interesting to sail. I wouldn't own any of the heavy boats, but ocean racing around the world was more popular in those days. They were challenging downwind but quite fun in their own way upwind....sure they were slow, but all leadmines are slow for their length and cost.

Yaz

Super Anarchist
Clearly you are a young fuck who was not around in the heydey of IOR. Kialoas III to V were IOR designs, and damned good ones. Ondines III to V were IOR as well, although they were not great designs and not nearly as successful as the Kialoas. Before you young shits spout off about the lame IOR designs, I should remind you that many, many international race records were held by these "pigs" for decades, beaten only by $25 million canting keel supermaxis (10 to 20' longer than their IOR counterparts) with full professional crews in ideal conditions. Most IOR Maxis were 78 to 82', had amaeteur goons as crew, and were things of beauty. Beasts to sail, especially downwind, but they were not glorified powerboats like the 30m supermaxis of today. Remember the days of 6 to 10 full on maxis at any given international regatta? Remember the days of a dozen or more 50's lining up against each other during the day and their BN's smoking weed and fucking whores all night long? No? I didn't think so. Piss off. Who really gives a shit if a leadmine goes 15 knots or 25? It's all slow anyways. What matters is how you achieve the speed you do, and the IOR boats did it in bling bling bitchin' style. Everybody, and I mean everybody, had fun in those days. Full stop.

Yaz

Super Anarchist
By the way, Kialoa V, one of the most beautiful IOR maxis ever built, was completely butchered by Pendennis shipyards a couple of years ago. She was bought by a tobacco company, painted red, and given a pathetic looking deckhouse. A real shame.

dolphinmaster

Super Anarchist
Chapel Hill, NC
Clearly you are a young fuck who was not around in the heydey of IOR. Kialoas III to V were IOR designs, and damned good ones. Ondines III to V were IOR as well, although they were not great designs and not nearly as successful as the Kialoas. Before you young shits spout off about the lame IOR designs, I should remind you that many, many international race records were held by these "pigs" for decades, beaten only by $25 million canting keel supermaxis (10 to 20' longer than their IOR counterparts) with full professional crews in ideal conditions. Most IOR Maxis were 78 to 82', had amaeteur goons as crew, and were things of beauty. Beasts to sail, especially downwind, but they were not glorified powerboats like the 30m supermaxis of today. Remember the days of 6 to 10 full on maxis at any given international regatta? Remember the days of a dozen or more 50's lining up against each other during the day and their BN's smoking weed and fucking whores all night long? No? I didn't think so. Piss off. Who really gives a shit if a leadmine goes 15 knots or 25? It's all slow anyways. What matters is how you achieve the speed you do, and the IOR boats did it in bling bling bitchin' style. Everybody, and I mean everybody, had fun in those days. Full stop.

Tell em Yaz.

Where are Mr. Jumpa and Sweet Okole. They were IOR and fast.

Go Left

Super Anarchist
Seattle

I remember races with 6,7 or 10 IOR Two-tonners running in a breeze side by side, rolling rail to rail, digging trenches in the water, where you could shoot through all the mains in one shot for an entire leg. Awesome racing, felt faster than a space shuttle and took major talent to keep them on their feet. The tactical broach to get to the inside was an interesting piece of the racing strategy kit.

Good sailboats? No. Good raceboats? Uhmmmm. Great fun? Absolutely.

Speaking of old IOR boats: Anybody remember Great Fun?

Oh, BTW: Obsession is running day sails in Puget Sound. The owner races is SC70 instead of blowing up gear on the IOR Maxi.