Older well known IOR Boats

slater-san

Anarchist
I remember races with 6,7 or 10 IOR Two-tonners running in a breeze side by side, rolling rail to rail, digging trenches in the water, where you could shoot through all the mains in one shot for an entire leg. Awesome racing, felt faster than a space shuttle and took major talent to keep them on their feet. The tactical broach to get to the inside was an interesting piece of the racing strategy kit.
Good sailboats? No. Good raceboats? Uhmmmm. Great fun? Absolutely.

Speaking of old IOR boats: Anybody remember Great Fun?
Great Fun....sunk on the way up the coast on a delivery from SoCal to NorCal a few years ago.

They were fun and challenging to sail fast downwind. Love those bloopers! Still have one on our Pet. 37, but PHRF out here gets you too much to use it. They weren't really all that slow downwind, just rolled more and were more of a handfull. And up wind they were great! Speed is relative though. And that is coming from someone who loved to sail dragons, even in light stuff.

AnonOTroll

Anarchist
Santa Cruz
RIP to a good boat. Hope the crew was OK.
Great Fun had a habit of sinking from what I've read (like 3 different times.) Coincidentally, it usually happened with most of the valuable gear stripped off ;) . Very cool boat in spite of the fact it had trouble staying afloat.

An also the toy version of it which I had the chance to sail a few times which was a 1/4 tonner called "Fun". A fast little boat in it's day.

40grit

Anarchist
Bullfrog is in Southern Cal, Hippy ownership has her reduced to liveaboard status, she's too big for any Hippy remodels. If you squint your eyes and look thru the rusty bicycles on deck you can still see her Green glory. When I was in the market for a new boat, she was on the market for $160K I called my sail maker and asked what a jib would cost? that ended my fantisy. lot of alimunium and lead.

Tell em Yaz.Where are Mr. Jumpa and Sweet Okole. They were IOR and fast.
I believe Sweet Okole is still on SF Bay at the Richmond Yacht Club.

The 1981 Choate 40, originally launched in Southern California as Audacious, has been sailing out of Stockton, CA for the last fifteen years as Bottom Line. In the 1981 Transpac, as Audacious, she took second in division to Sweet Okole.

http://www.stocktonsc.org/bl/

She has been for sale for awhile....

poopie pants

Super Anarchist
the Bu
4Checkmate.jpg

WunHungLo

Super Anarchist
PNW
The Blue Pig - the '73' Ondine - is now in Seattle sailing as Atalanta. Locally known as "The Lost Continent", it is now mercifully white not that baby blue. Actually raced pretty hard and does OK if there's a breeze at a PHRF rating of 15.
Now Windward Passage was/is an awesome boat.
Here's Atalanta rounding Cape Scott in this year's Van Isle 360

Van_Isle_360_2007_Atalanta_in_her_element_at_Cape_Scott.jpg

WunHungLo

Super Anarchist
PNW
Another golden oldie from San Francisco in the mid 80's - Mad max - Davidson 40 One Ton

Here it is during the van isle 360 this year which it one convincingly.

van_Isle_360__MadMax_pointing_high_and_going_fast.jpg

WunHungLo

Super Anarchist
PNW
I remember races with 6,7 or 10 IOR Two-tonners running in a breeze side by side, rolling rail to rail, digging trenches in the water, where you could shoot through all the mains in one shot for an entire leg. Awesome racing, felt faster than a space shuttle and took major talent to keep them on their feet. The tactical broach to get to the inside was an interesting piece of the racing strategy kit.
Good sailboats? No. Good raceboats? Uhmmmm. Great fun? Absolutely.

Speaking of old IOR boats: Anybody remember Great Fun?

Oh, BTW: Obsession is running day sails in Puget Sound. The owner races is SC70 instead of blowing up gear on the IOR Maxi.
Asymptote....here's a golden oldie you should recognize.... :rolleyes: just kidding....how's the keel now?

White_Cloud_VI360.jpg