Olson 30 Jock Straps and BOD

Ultraman

Anarchist
Vancouver
Here is a thread that is actually about boats and sailing instead of incessant bickering between a bunch of snow-bound asshats.

I know it has been discussed before and I have done a search and read all the posts.

Boat is a 1983 Olson 30 now in Vancouver that I purchased from an SA ad last fall. Boat is originally from SF area. Mast is out, floor boards up, furniture tabbing is still good, but the mast step needs to be rebuilt - it is moderately compressed and cracked. This work is being done.

Question: Should I install the jock straps? What about BOD?

Sailing conditions in Vancouver are generally light 5-10kts although sometimes it blows 20-25kts.

I have heard many conflicting opinions. Some of the Vancouver boats have them, some don't.

Thoughts?

Aperson

If you are going to rebuild the mast step I would put a Jock Strap in and maybe a BOD. PM me and I will email you the instructions I wrote for the Olson 30 Website. I wrote them for both the Jock Strap and BOD. Also I have pictures of the ne approved bulkhead stiffeners I can send you.

Jollymon

Anarchist
Pacific NW
If you have read all the posts then you know that the decision is yours. This is a 26 year old boat, probably raced hard for some time of its life. The sails load up more than when the boats were built, plus things wear out and the boat gets softer as it ages. You already are replacing the mast step, so that should be your first clue that the boat is getting tired and needs help.

JM

o30_oldschool

o30_Oldschool
BRING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a rebuilt step, but no BOD nor straps, and everything still seems stiff to me. Luckily my boat spent most of its life in Kansas, not SF...

saboteer

My personal feeling is that the Jock Strap and BOD are great for areas of high winds and large crews...aka SF. I recently purchased an O30 myself, 3rd one for the family, and it also came from SF but luckily was not raced there...or anywhere for that matter. I have reinforced the mast step due to some slight settling of the original. I race in an area similar in winds as yours, 5-10knts mainly with days of 15-25 occasionally and am not planning on adding the above mods. If I was going to sail in SF or any other place with higher average winds I might look into adding them. The other O30 in our harbor did add the BOD and has since blown a shroud due to over tensioning. O30's are well build boats, it's when you begin to add larger then needed sails in higher winds and then add 8-9 large bodies on the rail that the integrity of the boat begins to weaken. By the way which O30 did you get from SF? Mine is hull #133 White Lightning. Good luck with the boat, they are a blast to sail.

USA
My personal feeling is that the Jock Strap and BOD are great for areas of high winds and large crews...aka SF. I recently purchased an O30 myself, 3rd one for the family, and it also came from SF but luckily was not raced there...or anywhere for that matter. I have reinforced the mast step due to some slight settling of the original. I race in an area similar in winds as yours, 5-10knts mainly with days of 15-25 occasionally and am not planning on adding the above mods. If I was going to sail in SF or any other place with higher average winds I might look into adding them. The other O30 in our harbor did add the BOD and has since blown a shroud due to over tensioning. O30's are well build boats, it's when you begin to add larger then needed sails in higher winds and then add 8-9 large bodies on the rail that the integrity of the boat begins to weaken. By the way which O30 did you get from SF? Mine is hull #133 White Lightning. Good luck with the boat, they are a blast to sail.

Having already broken on O 30, I would respectfully disagree. The boats are getting old and it is a good safeguard. It doesn't cost much, if you do it yourself. I would seriously consider both.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Here is a thread that is actually about boats and sailing instead of incessant bickering between a bunch of snow-bound asshats.
Where's the fun in that? <_<

I know it has been discussed before and I have done a search and read all the posts.
Boat is a 1983 Olson 30 now in Vancouver that I purchased from an SA ad last fall. Boat is originally from SF area. Mast is out, floor boards up, furniture tabbing is still good, but the mast step needs to be rebuilt - it is moderately compressed and cracked. This work is being done.

Question: Should I install the jock straps? What about BOD?
If you want to support the rig, do it on the cheap, and don't mind a serious PITA in the cabin (I mean, Olson 30s don't have any friggin' room down below anyway), then yeah.

If you don't mind the boat flexing a bit, and getting flexier every year until it pops it's tabbing (might not take that long :huh: ), then don't.

If you want the boat to be stiff & strong, and stay that way, and don't want your cabin cluttered up by an Erector Set conglomeration, put in a ring frame. It wouldn't be that much more work, it will offer better support, it will be lighter, and it will last longer.

I've seen a number of boats with ring frames but only one O30 done that way. I dunno why. Style maybe?

FB- Doug

Foolish

Super Anarchist
Victoria, BC
Make sure your BOD is curved up to the countours of the cabin top. This keeps the cabin much more open than a BOD that cuts straight across. Check out the O30 website for photos of these curved BODs.

I changed mine and the difference is significant.

Chuck L

Super Anarchist
Ring frames are not OD legal...
So if he put in a properly constructed ring frame, which weighs more than a boat without a BoD and jock straps, would you tell him that he can't come and race OD with you guys?

We have this debate all the time. Unlike J/24s or J/105s, but like the O30, the Kirby 25 does not have a large OD class, but it does have pockets of OD fleets. Every now and then you get someone turning up with a modified rudder, extra winches or an oversize Genoa (151% is class maximum, vs. 155% for PHRF). Do you tell them that they can't play (seeing as how any one of these changes by itself is pretty insignificant in terms of boat speed), do you tell them they can't use their nice Genoa in your regatta (here, use this old blown-out sail instead) or that they tape up their extra deck hardware (I bought those winches for regattas, dammit, and I want to use them!) or do you suck it up and realize that a good start or catching the right shift will make more difference than all those things put together?

Sorry to rag on you OS but I wanted to make the point -- when we invite boats for a OD regatta (for a 30-year-old boat built in limited numbers -- 221 boats total), pretty much everyone is welcome!

Cheers,

knockabout

NH/Me
You want him to go to the trouble of building a ring frame which the class measurer has specifically said is illegal and take the chance?

A straight beam takes about 1/2 hr to install, if he's got the mast step apart, the jockstrap adapter is cheap and easy and takes no extra time. If you want to get fancy and improve forepeak access, laminate a curved beam that runs under (but not touching) the deck. If you're going to race at all, add the beam and straps.

Chuck L

Super Anarchist
You want him to go to the trouble of building a ring frame which the class measurer has specifically said is illegal and take the chance? A straight beam takes about 1/2 hr to install, if he's got the mast step apart, the jockstrap adapter is cheap and easy and takes no extra time. If you want to get fancy and improve forepeak access, laminate a curved beam that runs under (but not touching) the deck. If you're going to race at all, add the beam and straps.
Fair dinkum. Just wanted to make the point: sometimes the rules need to be changed to accommodate reality.

Chuck L

Super Anarchist
Sorry to be obtuse here gang but WTF is a BOD and a jockstrap? Some kind of stiffener/deck tiedown?
Sometimes you get too buried in the details.

Yes, BoD = "Beam of Destiny". Runs between the chainplates inside the cabin, just below deck level. Apparently in straight or curved form. (Is there a class-legal BoD design?)

Jockstraps run from each chainplate to the keel step. Rod + turnbuckles, I believe.

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:

SailRacer

Super Anarchist
Nettles, Thanks for asking the same question that I have but was afraid to ask.

Do these things keep the rig in the boat? If It make it safer, then screw the OD config.

Sail safe!

Chuck L

Super Anarchist
Nettles, Thanks for asking the same question that I have but was afraid to ask.
Do these things keep the rig in the boat? If It make it safer, then screw the OD config.

Sail safe!
There are different ways to stiffen the boat -- as illustrated above -- all are effective if done right, but some are either more convenient or more class legal than others.