Olson 30 question

kcwright

I realize it’s an old sport boat but I was hoping someone will have an answer for me. I bought an Olson 30 a little over a month ago. Love the boat but I can’t seem to point as high as other boat out on the course. Is it me or the boat? Any tricks?

jibeset

Super Anarchist
I realize it’s an old sport boat but I was hoping someone will have an answer for me. I bought an Olson 30 a little over a month ago. Love the boat but I can’t seem to point as high as other boat out on the course. Is it me or the boat? Any tricks?

It could be sails, rig tune, wind conditions, bottom job, or you.... How is the boat set up? How many crew are you sailing with?

jibeset

rudimentary

Anarchist
PHRF NW
The Olson has a relatively shallow keel for it's length. To make the most of it's pointing ability, they like to be sailed fairly flat. Also. given that it is such a headsail driven boat; proper genoa trim is very important as well; including backstay adjustment. A well sailed Olson can point with the best of them. Best of luck.

kcwright

It could be sails, rig tune, wind conditions, bottom job, or you.... How is the boat set up? How many crew are you sailing with?
jibeset
Last night we had the #2 up (100%) and the wind was 20 gusting to 30 and there was 4 guys on board. Bottom was redone before the boat went in the water 6 weeks ago. As far as set up goes I guess it’s pretty standard for and Olson. It’s my first boat so if I sound a bit lost it’s because I am.

Schnick

Super Anarchist
Vancouver, BC
4 bodies not enough in that breeze. A 100% jib is a #3 normally. Sounds like you could have used a 3 or a 4. How many spreaders do you have? I haven't sailed the two spreader boats but the single spreader you can damn near fold the mast in half trying to apply headstay tension. Main should be board flat. Two more guys on the rail would have been the difference.

kcwright

4 bodies not enough in that breeze. A 100% jib is a #3 normally. Sounds like you could have used a 3 or a 4. How many spreaders do you have? I haven't sailed the two spreader boats but the single spreader you can damn near fold the mast in half trying to apply headstay tension. Main should be board flat. Two more guys on the rail would have been the difference.
It's a 2 spreader rig, and the inside stays were a sloppy upwind last night. they have been ok in less wind, should I tighten them up a bit? How tight should the headstay be? so many questions.... Thanks for the feedback.

GybeSet

Super Anarchist
¬

olson30.jpg

circa 1978

Last edited by a moderator:

redboat

Super Anarchist
Beverator beat me to directing you to the Olson class site. It's very helpful.

Most of the Olsons that do well sail with max legal weight on the rail upwind in a breeze.

If you are new to the boat and it hasn't been really well maintained the mast step could be soft and the sails could be a little tired, both will kill your upwind ability in a breeze.

Takes time to get the feel of the boat too. The more tiller time you get the faster you will go.

Good luck. Have fun. They are great boats.

Rumbulls

Super Anarchist
Boyne City
Being new to the Olson, we've been told that the boat likes alot of twist and does not like to be pinched upwind.

don't use alot of vang, keep traveler trimmed to weather, ease the sheet so the boom is centered on the pushpit and when trimming the genoa, talk to the trimmer and go with speed and pointing ability and find the grove...play with the car adjustments, you'll find it.

As for tension on the rig, when you're sailing up wind, the leeward stays should be just slacked...not floppy limp.

That should be enough for now...and like these guys said, most of this info is on the class website.

Where you at....midwest?

kcwright

The boats in Whitby, just east of Toronto. I'll read the class site again and get 2 more guys on the rail. I think the mast step is OK, sails are good not great but good.

Thanks for all the info guys

Rumbulls

Super Anarchist
Boyne City
The boats in Whitby, just east of Toronto. I'll read the class site again and get 2 more guys on the rail. I think the mast step is OK, sails are good not great but good. Thanks for all the info guys

There's a good fleet in Kingston.... Also, we're trying to get the great lakes championship to BYC Detroit NOODS. Do you travel? We have a 2 day race in our area on Labor day weekend and would appreciate your competition....6hr drive, probably.

We are contemplating the '08 Chicago to mac race, also....there is 1 or 2 olson30s that race.

Here's a link to some races you might be interested in.....

http://www.charlevoixyachtclub.org/redfox/index.htm

http://www.ltyc.org/

kcwright

Right now I don't have a trailer... or a cradle for that matter. I bought the boat from Dave in Kingston, I hope to do some out of town stuff next year but I'm going to spend this summer getting my head around the boat. I haven’t even put up the chute yet.... This weekend I hope. Like I said I'm new!

Mark K

Super Anarchist
Well, for starters, even with 6 on the rail you should be under a #3 in

17 true. You have to sail it flat. At about 25, a #4 is fast.

What was said before about the keel is right, you have to get it moving

fast and keep it flat or you go sideways. Once you start scrubbing that

wide keel sideways, it creates massive drag and the boat is both slow

and sliding off to leeward. That's perhaps the single most common error

among Olson newbes, 10-15 degrees of heel is the limit. Therefore, rail

meat is important. Trying to carry too much sail is bad bad bad.

That boat just doesn't take kindly to being over-grunted.

The best set up is for a straight mast (tiny bit fo prebend and tight lowers

to keep it so) with a main cut for that set up (pretty flat). If the mast isn't

stiff, you can't get a tight forestay and pointing in high winds

demands that.

Last edited by a moderator:

kcwright

10-15 degrees, that flat eh... We weren’t even close to that. We did hit 8.2 knots up wind, averaging around 6.5.

I'll tighten up the lowers, I think the forestay is to loose. Next time there's that much wind I'll use the #4.

I bought Rocket now Northern Girl. She needs a bit of work, I'll take care of over the long cold winter!

Thanks

Kevin

Shorthanded

Super Anarchist
Holland, MI
It's a 2 spreader rig, and the inside stays were a sloppy upwind last night. they have been ok in less wind, should I tighten them up a bit? How tight should the headstay be? so many questions.... Thanks for the feedback.
I don't know shit about the Olson 30, but I'd take the slack out of the leeward shrouds while sailing. Rig tuning doesn't stop at the dock.

Latest posts