Olympic Sailing

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
6 hours ago, Rambler said:

I'm not the first to observe that sailing is at high risk of being dropped from the Olympics.

As far as the organisers are concerned (The IOC) the Olympics are not about the particiant, they're all about the viewers. The participants are the product being sold.

Sailing is failing because both the boats (except for the 49er's and FX; I can't comment on the board and kite classes) and the format are not viewing worthy.

No one outside the sailing world can comprehend lifts and knocks or broad spectrum tactics, whatever the (usually) usless announcer tries to explain. Tactics at a pile in mark rounding might be an exception. But generally tactical racing makes for bad TV.

So you are left trying to be entertained by someone performing the act of sailing the boat.

And here only the skiff classes do the job.

Get rid of the Laser and Finn and bring in something like a Musto; one for each gender.

Dump the dump truck 470 and maybe bring in a mixed gender skiff.

As for the format, if you want TV viewing, something like we have racing a fleet skiffs on a narrow river is what you need. Boats tacking, gybing and crossing every 60 seconds because the course is set up as a narrow 200 meter wide corridor and only 20 minutes races to keep the fleet bunched. Non stop action and a display of athleticism that viewers can understand. Probably plenty of entertainment too as the activities sucumb to the tight pressure and suffer capsizes and other misfortunes.

A video of our recent regatta gives merely a hint of what you could do; more so if you double the number of boats, add in professional videography and close up or on boat action shots

At what point does an OCS (jumps start) become a penalty turn instead of a return and start properly? Whatever happened to RRS 29.1? Local rules?

Foiling Optimist

Super Anarchist
Vancouver BC.
If all this streaming has shown anything, it's that sailing at the Olympics has remarkable amount of racing.  The commentators were saying the time limit for a Radial race is 75 minutes. But there are 12 races so one could have a monstrous driftathon with a cumulative time of 15 hours of racing in one class. And there are ten boat classes so the Olympic has perhaps 75 hours of racing, which would be comparable to the total time of all the men's and women's soccer games. It's not like running these races is necessarily expensive but because the TV coverage skips between classes, it's confusing for lay people and you can't follow one class properly. That, plus the observation that the slower boats invite all the dubious pumping and sculling, really suggests cutting the numbers of classes to maybe a mixed skiff, the mixed Nacra and kites, would make the sport more current and easier to follow.  I strongly argue that if sailing was dropped it would be bad for the sport for various administrative and marketing reasons, and if it was under threat, and I don't it's actually clear that that's the case, substantially simplifying it might just be a route to sustainability. 

Rambler

Super Anarchist
East Coast OZ
At what point does an OCS (jumps start) become a penalty turn instead of a return and start properly? Whatever happened to RRS 29.1? Local rules?
Sorry just understood your question.

Whatever it looked like or the wording said, it was a cse of circling the bouy and starting again.

The naration was insterted by the drone operator who is not a sailor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Livia

Super Anarchist
Southern Ocean
And at least according to dock talks of Finnish team she would have had right to compete in that start. I don't know, whole thing was little unclear for me. Where did she even get penalty for?
Sums up sailing nowadays “I did not get to talk to my coach”

FFS

There was a general and she did not know she could start the next race as penalty slides away.

She started then pulled out.

and she is leading the fleet

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
I suppose the difficult question becomes how much of a jump start for a mere turn?

Half way up the first work?
It isn't in the rule book, has to be local or even club rules. If he was OCS there should have been a second sound signal and he should have returned and started correctly. Rule 86.1 does allow RRS 29.1 to be changed. SailGP also has a changed OCS rule

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
16 hours ago, Rambler said:

I'm not the first to observe that sailing is at high risk of being dropped from the Olympics.

As far as the organisers are concerned (The IOC) the Olympics are not about the particiant, they're all about the viewers. The participants are the product being sold.

Sailing is failing because both the boats (except for the 49er's and FX; I can't comment on the board and kite classes) and the format are not viewing worthy.

No one outside the sailing world can comprehend lifts and knocks or broad spectrum tactics, whatever the (usually) usless announcer tries to explain. Tactics at a pile in mark rounding might be an exception. But generally tactical racing makes for bad TV.

So you are left trying to be entertained by someone performing the act of sailing the boat.

And here only the skiff classes do the job.

Get rid of the Laser and Finn and bring in something like a Musto; one for each gender.

Dump the dump truck 470 and maybe bring in a mixed gender skiff.

As for the format, if you want TV viewing, something like we have racing a fleet skiffs on a narrow river is what you need. Boats tacking, gybing and crossing every 60 seconds because the course is set up as a narrow 200 meter wide corridor and only 20 minutes races to keep the fleet bunched. Non stop action and a display of athleticism that viewers can understand. Probably plenty of entertainment too as the activities sucumb to the tight pressure and suffer capsizes and other misfortunes.

A video of our recent regatta gives merely a hint of what you could do; more so if you double the number of boats, add in professional videography and close up or on boat action shots

Paradoxically, many other sports have rulrs just as confusing as "lifts and onocks" (ehich is not at allconfising). Baseball for instance.

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
Nothing to do with the spats up above but on edge of my seat watching right now.

Team GBR has not missed a medal race since the format was introduced - now that is strength in depth. Currently looking very likely or almost assured of a medal race in 8 classes with just the Lasers on the edge with 1 race to go Alison Young 10th (on equal points with 9th) and Elliot Hansen 12th but within 4 points of the 3 boats ahead of him and 2 races to play with.

It would be amazing if these two young athletes could maintain the GBR record of being in every sailing final.

A success story that, I believe, dates all the way back to Jim Saltonstall's 'ferrets' as he used to call the likes of Ainslie, Percy, Goodison, Robertson & Simpson etc.

I won't comment on USA, the Editor has that well in hand on the front page but perhaps Mr Cayard should get a copy of Jim's excellent book "Race Training".  It is still relevant today - obviously.
Silly bugger, Elliot got what I assume is a 2nd Rule 42 penalty - 1st one in race 5 got him 2 turs but the rules are 2nd one in a regatta = a race DSQ - at least that is what I assume it was for

Talking about "is it interesting to watch from TV"

Surfing certainly isn't. I am sure that it is great when you are sitting on beach watching your friends to do it, but it does not work as TV sport. I watched 30 minutes of competitors swimming against waves for 30 minutes.

Compared to that sailing is full of action.

unShirley

Super Anarchist
Ventura
Talking about "is it interesting to watch from TV"

Surfing certainly isn't. I am sure that it is great when you are sitting on beach watching your friends to do it, but it does not work as TV sport. I watched 30 minutes of competitors swimming against waves for 30 minutes.

Compared to that sailing is full of action.
I have found the high wind races fun to watch.  I hate sailing in light air but find the light air races interesting, although not as much as the heavy air races.  Regarding surfing:  I am an avid surfer and enjoy watching the WSL contests, but, I always watch the "condensed replays" because they show only the rides, not the sitting around waiting for waves.  If no condensed replay is available then I hit the skip ahead button constantly.  So, I seldom watch live surfing. The reality of surfing is that one sits around for 2 - 3 minutes to catch and ride a wave for 5 - 10 seconds.  Fortunately, the thrill of that ride usually makes the wait worthwhile.

Foiling Optimist

Super Anarchist
Vancouver BC.
It was also unfortunately the case that the post typhoon waves were poorly formed,  low period, i.e. breaking close together, and seemed to mostly close-out quickly. So it was not a great demonstration of competitive surfing although the top people did really show why are so great to get rides at all in those conditions. The Igarashi-Medina semi-final was particularly impressive as they were able to do some spectacular aerials off of waves that were otherwise pretty unpleasant.   

Bowchow

Anarchist
FYI for anyone who has a newer samsung TV with the samsung TV app, the edge channel (1169) has sailing on it. Just saw a promo for the show "The sail to Tokyo" and they had Vendee highlights on yesterday..  

Couta

Super Anarchist
Australia

FFS

There was a general and she did not know she could start the next race as penalty slides away.

The fleet was already in sequence....so her coach didn't respond because to do so would have DSQ'd her for outside assistance....Not understanding the rules at this level is almost unbelievable...and as you point out Livia, it highlights the increased dependency coached sailors now have. In reviewing this, I wonder how many coaches will recognise the weakness dependency represents for their charges and what they'd do about it? I'd also question the strategic input...to take on NED aggressively was completely unnecessary....and NOT a strategy a coach would recommend at this point in the regatta with such a commanding points lead. Interesting stuff.

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
At this level I would have thought that athletes almost slept with their Rule Book along with the NoR & SI's. It is he competitor's responsibility to know what they can and cannot do. Mark you I see this at all levels. I received a Wechat the other day from a sailor asking about an element of the racing rules which he could have found out by reading the bloody rule book. Laziness?

Could you imagine a high level chess player having to be reminded how they could move the knight? 

If a coach has not completed his duty by the time the sailors leave the dock he is lacking in his ability to pass on his knowledge and experience.

It also seriously disadvantages the competitors with a lower budget or part of a bigger team.

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
Looks like just enough puff today - racing delayed and now only 7-8 kts on the course which will suit the same sailors who liked in on day 1

Female Skiffs, Finn & Nacra currently racing. Looks like wind may also be shifty as the Nacra race was showing as "Interrupted" I am guess abandoned due to a windshift - but as I say, just a guess

(p)Irate

Super Anarchist

FFS

To be fair neither of the commentators on 7Plus knew the rules either. They suspected that she'd be hit with a gross misconduct violation for starting after the General.

Latest posts