On-scene in San Francisco

Te Kooti

Super Anarchist
What happened when MSP came to consult with Stingray?

Or SWS fell in the harbour and corrected his cognitive problems?

Or Gauchogreg rode into town on a horse?

This thread is for your town-and-around gossip.

Stinger et al have a few posts under "AC Spotting".

But this is more than that.

Who said and did what?

After all the bullshit, what is like (from your perspective) in SF?

Te Kooti

Super Anarchist
Reply to your own post. Fine old SA tradition. Ten points so far:

1. Hot and minimal wind in SF

2. Almost nobody wearing team gear. Few signs of a big regatta getting under way tomorrow. Have not seen even one Oracle shirt. And only a few kiwi ones.

3. Being dressed in TNZ gear, a few people want to talk. But they know SFA about the AC

4. At the "AC Park" (pier 27) food and drink is VERY expensive and today they were showing that pukep-worthy ("Larry As Hero") wind gods movie. Do they have PJ's consent to use his voice in that awful movie?

5. Only half the super yacht pier is occupied. Tons of space for your superyacht registered in Georgetown

6. TK put on a show by accidently knocking over an 11 oz glass of Moa pale ale (at the Waiheke Yacht Club - bloody expensive mate!). Just did the laundry in the hotel room.

7. There are a lot of tourists in SF but they are not here for the Cup.

8. My knowledge and affection for Chinese life paid off when I scored an Asian-owned hotel near the waterfront. Even so, $130 USD per night!

9. Compared to Valencia, things here are REALLY spread out. On the basis of only one look-see, I would say Valencia was better. Of course, being in Spain, there are advantages.

10. Just took the Market St to Van Ness cable car - $6 USD. Will buy the stored value tx tomorrow.

CONDITIONS ARE VERY LIGHT AND, AS SUCH, FAVOUR ORACLE (Remember the clean undercarriage).

P.S. Now going out to track down Renny and the Stingmeister.

kenergy

Super Anarchist
Mate, I hope you did a table suck on that spilled Moa, it sounds more valuable than gold up there.

Enjoy the evening and keep up the posts, love to hear about the venue and atmosphere.

bottlerocket

Texas
Headed there tomorrow from Texas. I was just commenting to my wife that no one around here is even following the AC. Not surprised all the tourists there don't know of the regatta.

It's stunning to me that LE with all his resources and experience did not pony up a strong marketing type to get this thing off the ground. It a shame for SF and for the AC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
Met two great Anarchist friends today, had a stroll around the Park (yes, expensive) and the Village (kind of closed since no racing). Super mood all around, sunny, warm, Mediterranean spirits, although jet-lag sets in. Nice super yachts to look at, mega friendly staff at the Park and Village. Looking forwards to the get-together in about an hour and the races tomorrow.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Reply to your own post. Fine old SA tradition. Ten points so far:

1. Hot and minimal wind in SF

2. Almost nobody wearing team gear. Few signs of a big regatta getting under way tomorrow. Have not seen even one Oracle shirt. And only a few kiwi ones.

3. Being dressed in TNZ gear, a few people want to talk. But they know SFA about the AC

4. At the "AC Park" (pier 27) food and drink is VERY expensive and today they were showing that pukep-worthy ("Larry As Hero") wind gods movie. Do they have PJ's consent to use his voice in that awful movie?

5. Only half the super yacht pier is occupied. Tons of space for your superyacht registered in Georgetown

6. TK put on a show by accidently knocking over an 11 oz glass of Moa pale ale (at the Waiheke Yacht Club - bloody expensive mate!). Just did the laundry in the hotel room.

7. There are a lot of tourists in SF but they are not here for the Cup.

8. My knowledge and affection for Chinese life paid off when I scored an Asian-owned hotel near the waterfront. Even so, $130 USD per night!

9. Compared to Valencia, things here are REALLY spread out. On the basis of only one look-see, I would say Valencia was better. Of course, being in Spain, there are advantages.

10. Just took the Market St to Van Ness cable car - $6 USD. Will buy the stored value tx tomorrow.

CONDITIONS ARE VERY LIGHT AND, AS SUCH, FAVOUR ORACLE (Remember the clean undercarriage).

P.S. Now going out to track down Renny and the Stingmeister.
Great start to your visit, TK - apart from the spilt beer.

If you go by the compound, remember to offer some soothing words to NZL 5's taniwha. They'll be amped.

Have a good one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Te Kooti

Super Anarchist
If any kiwis in SF find John Navas could you please buy him a drink from me? PM me to arrange repayment!
Yes, agree with that.

I just met Comrade Stingray in Cow Hollow. He and I have had issues but, meeting F2F calls for cordiality and courtesy.

He is the first I have seen fully decked-out in Oracle gear! [although he claims there are others if I look hard enough]

It is VERY hard to know where to watch the races.

It is a long way from the Marina Green to the AC Park (Pier 27) end.

The AC Store at PIer 27 is absolute shit. No team stuff there. Just (I assume) ACEA stuff made to look like team gear. Poorly designed, printed on shit fabric and offered at outrageous prices. The best deal in there is the Program (at $15).

It is a long walk from Pier 27 (the AC "park) to the TNZ/LR bases and even further to OR. It is obvious organisers just gave up on any "village" idea. This was one thing Ernesto did quite well.

Having seen the "AC park" today (and noted the prices down there) tomorrow I might opt for the big screen at Marina Green.

Stinger (who is clean-cut young guy) thinks he might take his binoculars and go up Telegraph Hill for the big-view. But he has a mobile device to get Virtual Eye etc.

From my VLC experience (2007) I decided you have to be near a screen. Not for the commentary. But for the telemetry. Will look for a breakfast place and make a decision before Race 1.

There is very little wind in SF at present and SR wonders if they will even get on their foils for Race 1.

Few comments about SF. Today I walked miles and very much like the obvious height restraints in housing areas. Looks like the famous SF BOS said 4-storeys max. Makes for a kind of Parisian (or European) look.

The Cow Hollow, Marina Districts and environs look pretty up-market. Not many street dwellers and many affluent looking citizens gulpng down tacos and starring at their cellphones.

On the drive in from the airport the van driver continuously made phone calls. Have these people ever heard of distracted driving?

If there is a lay-day (or racing is cancelled for no wind) I will be hitting any 2nd hand bookstores around here.

And yes, if I see John Navas, I will give him special Maori greetings and a secret look at a taniwha.

Te Kooti

Super Anarchist
If you go by the compound, remember to offer some soothing words to NZL 5's taniwha. They'll be amped.
Informed sources say the two Waikato taniwha are behaving. But the East Coasters (Ngati Porou and Kahungunu) are a nuisance. When not on the boat they have to be kept in carry-cage thing (like a cat box).

Grant is saying things like "whose idea was this?"

I reckon things will settle after Race 1. Everyone is too excited for now.

But I am worried OR might protest the TNZ use of taniwha. Also, ISAF would probably not be impressed with having magic-realist creatures in the AC. And lord knows what the SPCA thinks? Imagine the look on Graham McKenzie's face if OR protest?

PeterHuston

Super Anarchist
Make sure to check out the Tenderloin tonight. Just tell everyone you meet you have a special Twatwannna, or whatever it is you think you have that is so special. The locals will make you feel very welcome, even if you are a Flintstoner.

Te Kooti

Super Anarchist
One more thing that demonstrates the depths to which we have sunk.

OR have a poster in laundromats, restaurants and other places urging citizens to support the "USA" team.

They are pleading for support!

The poster asks citizens to bring US flags (red, white & blue) to the AC Park at Pier 27.

Larry must surely find this an undignified process.

However, between now and 1 p.m. tomorrow, I have to find ashop or lumber yard to get dowelling so I can wave my three NZ flags! (2 orthodox; 1 silver fern - all from the dollar shop in Devonport)

See, that is the difference.

Kiwis do not need to be asked.

OR have a poster in laundromats, restaurants and other places urging citizens to support the "USA" team.

The poster asks citizens to bring US flags (red, white & blue) to the AC Park at Pier 27.

However, between now and 1 p.m. tomorrow, I have to find ashop or lumber yard to get dowelling so I can wave my three NZ flags! (2 orthodox; 1 silver fern - all from the dollar shop in Devonport)

TK/H

thanks for the on the scene truthful updates

I am glad you have the maori spirit powers going

as the ggyc oracle cheaters curse =GOCC will be their final end to the ggyc cat ass trophe

have a good time mate and be safe

as the sw soiler stalker is around and might be staring at you right now

cheers msp/jtr

PeterHuston

Super Anarchist

TK/H

thanks for the on the scene truthful updates

as the ggyc oracle cheaters curse =GOCC will be their final end to the ggyc cat ass trophe

have a good time mate and be safe

as the sw soiler stalker is around and might be staring at you right now

cheers msp/jtr

Wait...didn't you say for months that you were suing the City of San Francisco, Gavin Newsome, Mayor Lee, Sen. Diane Feinstein, Gov. Jerry Brown, the estate of Gov Ronald Reagan, the State of California, the California Coastal Commission, the USCG, the US Navy, the Marines, the Air Force, the Army, the Girl Scouts, the Catholic Church, the Hari Krishna's, everyone in the Haight, the SF 49'ers, the homeless and naked in the Tenderloin on behalf of the Citizens ot the World to stop the 34th America's Cup?

Or were you just full of shit this whole time?

KiwiJoker

Super Anarchist
Auckland, NZ
Kia ora Te Kooti - Thanx for on-the-spot reports. Keep 'em coming mate. I've spent just enough time around the San Francisco waterfront to understand the delights of your Cup adventure. I'm guessing the big screen at Marina Green will be the best viewing choice, for Day One at least.

Te Kooti

Super Anarchist
Grant reached out to Maori long ago and it was a brilliant (and, in my view, needed) move to name the boat S.V. AOTEAROA

It is this kind of thing that distinguishes Dalton from Blake.

The next step will be to get Maori crew members.

They went out and recruited Rob Waddell (a non-sailor) and there are some pretty tough Maori All Blacks (e.g. SBW - NZ'ers know who I mean) who would swing on the grinding pedstals and bring a wicked new dimension to high performance yacht racing.

I would like to see someone from Tai Tokerau, maybe Tainui and (because it is my home) Kahungunu.

This bloke Kahungunu piloted waka to Aotearoa about 1500 years ago. He first landed in what is today Northland but then gunkholed down the coast (and also went overland).

As well as being an astute sailor and navigator he was a horny buggar.

As a result of him spreading his seed there are Kahungunu descendants in the Far North, Bay of Plenty (Tauranga area) and up and down the East Coast (Gisborne to Wairarapa).

It was his descendants who introduced market forces to NZ by grabbing Captain Cook's cabin boy in 1769 (at Cape Kidnappers) and then trading him for useful stuff like blankets and muskets!

If you think a public display of taniwha might puzzle the AC opposition, imagine the reaction when confronted by the mischievous proclivities of Kahungunu's relatives!

KIA KAHA!

Latest posts