On That!

Livia

Super Anarchist
Southern Ocean
Ed, those guys usually deliver Enchantress back from Hobart to Adelaide (home port) after the Hobart race leaving Tasmania to starboard, so. west coast back uphill for 1500 miles in the Southern Ocean.

You should have some free time next January!

Last edited by a moderator:

Recidivist

Super Anarchist
Ed, those guys usually deliver Enchantress back from Hobart to Adelaide (home port) after the Hobart race leaving Tasmania to starboard, so. west coast back uphill for 1500 miles in the Southern Ocean.

You should have some free time next January!
Livia, we were doing that back in the late 60's, early 70's.  I have stories!  It was considered quite foolhardy back then, and one year we actually had the mayor of Hobart beg us not to go.  The whole round trip was over 3000 nm, and doing that every year built my sea miles impressively (especially as I was still a teenager).  I'd love to visit Port Davey again - we used to know it quite well when the only other boats were the pro fishermen - and every year we compared observations to update everyone's charts.

But @Hilly, you are right also - Gunrunner is a seriously small boat in those waters!  Respect.

BTW, happy New Year - long time since we met up in Darwin.

Ocean View

Australia
Correction to the front page post.

They pulled out due to a tear in the main and a total power outage in the middle of the 1st night

So they went back to Sydney, and are now back on their way to Hobart with an ETA of 3rd Jan most likely

They got the boat from Brisbane to Sydney in 2.5 days the weekend before the race start

And have placed 3rd, 4th in their division several years with 7 or 8 campaigns now.

And completed the last tough one in 2015.

It's a very strong little boat.

Fintho

Tasmania
@Editor

This thread is also a good place to shout out the skipper, Dr John Willoughby for his amazing volunteer work in the pacific islands through his charity Vision of Islands. https://vision-of-islands.org/ 

He was recently awarded an Order of Australia medal for his work, which is the "highest recognition for outstanding achievement and service."

Absolute top bloke

paps49

Super Anarchist
Adelaide Australia
Correction to the front page post.

They pulled out due to a tear in the main and a total power outage in the middle of the 1st night

So they went back to Sydney, and are now back on their way to Hobart with an ETA of 3rd Jan most likely

They got the boat from Brisbane to Sydney in 2.5 days the weekend before the race start

And have placed 3rd, 4th in their division several years with 7 or 8 campaigns now.

And completed the last tough one in 2015.

It's a very strong little boat.
WTF were they doing in Brisbane, they sailed out of Adelaide.

Fintho

Tasmania
WTF were they doing in Brisbane, they sailed out of Adelaide.
After last years failed Hobart they took the boat up to Brisbane to compete in the Bris-Gladstone race, which they had to retire from. The boats been there since, until they took it to Sydney

SCANAS

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
After last years failed Hobart they took the boat up to Brisbane to compete in the Bris-Gladstone race, which they had to retire from. The boats been there since, until they took it to Sydney
Did they start that Gladstone? They went up on the mud in the creek on the way to the start IIRC. 

Fintho

Tasmania
Did they start that Gladstone? They went up on the mud in the creek on the way to the start IIRC. 
If my rather sketchy memory serves me alright there were some engine troubles in the pre start? But yes, I remember Alive and Enchantress both retired before or very soon after the start.

Ocean View

Australia
After sailing Adelaide to Sydney for the 2020 Race they arrived at the CYCA dock 5 mins before the race was cancelled.

John and another jumped on a plane and got out of there to SA that night, and the other guys took the boat up to QLD as that was the easiest option as that is where they lived. 

Marinetraffic shows them rounding SW corner of Tassie heading up the west coast - Doing their holiday trip home with 25 nots up the tail and a nice breeze from the right directions (SE,S,SW) for the 10 days or so to get them to Adelaide.

https://www.windy.com/?2022010800,-43.285,150.161,6

It's not always unpleasant on the lower west coast of Tassie and is a stunning place to cruise if you get nice weather.

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
Caught up with Enchantress in Dunalley last Monday and Tuesday.

They also have an intermittent electrical problem on the first night which caused a black out and led to the mainsail damage during a sail change. Buggered up all the reefing lines as well, which they repaired in Dunalley.

After Port Davey, they might go to Strahan. Usually do King Island as well, maybe not this time due to Covid, then Portland, then Adelaide. Did the same trip with them about four/five years ago.

@TUBBY goog luck with the circumnavigation…. I did the first Great Circle race way back in 1979 on Dynamite 2. Started at Portsea, then round clockwise back to Flinders in Western Port.

Some navigational advice (in case you didn’t already know) for the circumnavigation:

https://mast.tas.gov.au/notices/m004-22t-west-coast-sandy-cape-lighthouse-navigation-warning/

I sent it on to Enchantress as well.