On-The-Water Anarchy - Race Track Monday

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Since it's now technically Monday, it's time to get this ball rolling, but first let me make a few observations so that we can present the best possible live report to all of you.

Please spend a few minutes playing with your board settings. The less superfluous information you display, the quicker this will load for every one of the thousands of Anarchists that will be watching this space. These will be very rich reports, full of embedded video, expandable photos, hyperlinks and more. We expect at least a couple of thousand of you to be watching simultaneously at our peaks, and we want to avoid traffic jams at every stage. At a minimum, please set your maximum posts per page to 25, and shut off all signatures and avatars.

If you are not a registered member of SA, now is the time to sign up. Members can see thumbnail photos and embedded videos, while nonmembers only see filenames. Take the two minutes it takes to register - we don't spam, and no one will track you down through your registration information. If our servers get overloaded, we may need to restrict this report to members only, so get on the ball now.

We want and need your help to make this great. SA has a huge number of clever folks, and we're hoping and expecting that you'll be your usual selves, combing the web for great information about the racing, the competitors, and the venue. This is your forum, so feel free to post whatever text you want - but please don't post any attachments or other rich files. You can post an occasional pic, but either host it on another site and use the image tag, or just put a link up to the pics.

We'll have some excellent videos for you this week, and Mer's usual great work - but we're not looking to win any awards here. I'm no video editor, and I really don't care about production value - just that we get you great information and exciting action to make you feel just a little bit of warm salt water splashing on your skin, wherever in the world you are. Enjoy the show, and go take a look at what Kattack has to entertain you while you wait. It's good stuff.

Thanks for being a part of On-The-Water Anarchy, Key West 2008.

-Clean

Last edited by a moderator:

MR.CLEAN

Not here
We've already met dozens of Anarchists or more, though we haven't yet met the guys from the Melges 24 Lounge Act. These Santa Barbara dudes have been entertaining all of us for more than a year now, and they're at it again.

Check 'em out here.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Here's another one - I met this dude at the launch ramp on Friday, and told him how much I liked his little blog. Cool bunch of guys, good writing.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
This was pretty damned touching - some of you surely know Steve Washburn - a guy who has many people to sailing, and sailing to many people. Wash really did start this whole OTW thing rolling, and he lost his young son a bit more than a year ago in an incredibly sad tragedy. Wash got a lot of solace from the hundreds of Anarchists who put him in their thoughts, and what he went through, publicly, helped many more people deal with their recent losses.

Peter Craig presented the "Love of Sailing" award in, memory of Paul Washburn, to Bruce Ayres, Newport Beach, CA Melges 24 sailor. That's Steve on the right and Bruce in the middle.

Wash.jpg

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Steve Palm and Tom Verburgt sat down with me in a blustery tent in Key West's historic seaport to discuss their Kattack Performance App with me. A panel including Terry Hutchinson, Paul Cayard, Kimo Worthington, Larry Leonard, and a few others used Kattack's player from last year's Farr 40 fleet to give a huge crowd some great tactics tips just a few minutes earlier, and Steve and Tom explain just how useful their program is. Be sure to click their banner at the top of the page to see the great offer they've made to all the anarchists.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
I met up with Terry Hutchinson and John Kilroy at the awards ceremony for the Lauderdale-KW race. They took the hat trick: First in class, first corrected and first over the line. A brutally tough race with 10' seas and 30 knots of breeze on the beam, and Samba Pa Ti was the only boat without major issues - they horizoned a fleet that included bigger boats as well as multihulls.

Check out the interview, and thanks to Kattack for making it possible.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
RC is headed out shortly to check conditions on the course. Vegas just checked in. He says that Sand Key Buoy is registering 35 knots.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
We've got another good prize for the most informative on-course racer of the day. If you give us the goods, we'll give you the goods.

Luigi Reggio is doing a cameo as the midline boat spotter for Division 3. This is his vacation, I guess.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Hey Squirrel, how do those embedded videos work for you? Can you guys tell me if they load quick, etc.? Don't criticize the quality - this ain't the golden globes. Just wondering about the functionality. T.Hutch is a good interview.

Hey Squirrel, how do those embedded videos work for you? Can you guys tell me if they load quick, etc.? Don't criticize the quality - this ain't the golden globes. Just wondering about the functionality. T.Hutch is a good interview.

I had no probs with the videos. Thnx a lot although work will be difficult in the afternoon for the next week.

Bush_is_a_moron

Super Anarchist
videos are very fast coming up....no delay

Mr. Squirrel

Super Anarchist
Please spend a few minutes playing with your board settings. The less superfluous information you display, the quicker this will load for every one of the thousands of Anarchists that will be watching this space. These will be very rich reports, full of embedded video, expandable photos, hyperlinks and more. We expect at least a couple of thousand of you to be watching simultaneously at our peaks, and we want to avoid traffic jams at every stage. At a minimum, please set your maximum posts per page to 25, and shut off all signatures and avatars. -Clean
Clean,

The videos work great. My I-net in my hotel sucks, but it only took 10-15 secs to download completely and then played continuously after that.

For those that havent figured out how to do it - Turn off Avatars/ Set Messages per page

Go to My Controls at the top of the page. Then select Board Settings (left edge towards the bottom). Choose No for signatures and No for avatars. And make Messages per page = 25.

We all thank you

MS

tdmarsol

From the Race Committee . . . .

21 Jan 2008 ~ "Nautica Watches Day"

Welcome to Day 1 of Acura Key West Presented by Nautica!

Weather: Overcast and windy, current winds have been recorded at 18-21 knots with sea state variable from 2 1/2 -3 feet and some reports of 3-6 feet.

Postponement: AP down no earlier than 1100

"Based on today's forecast and timing, it's our intent to have 1 race today" ~ RC