On-The-Water Anarchy - Race Track Monday

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
You think maybe you could hold the camera a little higher, and further from your face so we don't have to actually look up your nose?

Next time, I'll shoot from underneath my taint just for you, BJ.

Last edited by a moderator:

S291sailor

West Michigan
I'm sure you've covered this - but just in case you haven't: if there is a "steady shot" or "stabilization" mode on your camera: turn it on. It degrades the quality of the video a little but it makes a huge difference in heavy seas.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
A little pet peeve of mine, folks - so indulge me.

I spend a lot of time and energy gently coercing people to faster boats. I love cruising, but if I'm going to race, I race. I understand dual-purpose boats, but they're just not particularly fun to race. I'm always ranting against the notion of "if you're all racing the SAME bathtub, it's awesome." To me, that's just an argument from people who are scared of fast boats, or are protective of the name of their slow boat.

I've had some fun in J/105s, J/24s, Beneteau 40.7s, and others - but the truth is that faster is always more fun.

That's why the NYYC/Swan 42 pisses me off so badly. The NYYC held a design contest, and they had a chance to create a truly exciting boat that would be fast, fun, and somewhat cruising friendly. At the price tag they talked about, it could be done light enough to have solid performance and still be somewhat useful with the family.

The design that they picked, now at almost 1.2 Million dollars race-ready, is a joke. It's a decent boat - but essentially, it's a giant J/109. I have nothing against the J/109, but over a million bucks for a 42 foot version of one? You've got to be kidding.

I've kept my mouth shut about it because I wasn't sure. I heard the murmurs and got some reports about the new boat, but I figured I'd wait until I had something a little more solid to base my opinion on.

Well, take a look at the video. This is 30 knots gusting 35. Amelia, Brad Read's 42, is running with a full kite and main, sailing well. We paced them for a few minutes, and our GPS and speedo both read a max speed of 15.8 knots. That's about what a J/109 would be sailing with a kite up in this air. Add to that reports of owners having to do extensive, expensive foil and bottom fairing after delivery from Nautor, and you've got one big fat dog of a design contest winner. Having seen the Farr 42 "Sue" that lost to Nautor for the design comp - the NYYC missed the target by a country mile.

Last edited by a moderator:

MR.CLEAN

Not here
I'm sure you've covered this - but just in case you haven't: if there is a "steady shot" or "stabilization" mode on your camera: turn it on. It degrades the quality of the video a little but it makes a huge difference in heavy seas.
That was with the image stabilizer on, and the wind noise reduction off - if you can believe it. When I sailed for the BBC documentary aboard the Endeavour Replica, I learned that even with a 4-man camera crew and the best shit that money can buy, wind is a bitch for filming. With the Ed's little waterproof sanyo camera (nowhere to put foam, J_T), the wind noise ain't gonna be good. Sorry, folks.

fairdinkum

Anarchist
Bermuda
Awesome job on the coverage... we all know windy means shitty sound. Just make up for it witht the after hours coverage! ;)

Ditto on your thoughts NYYC42... oink.

S291sailor

West Michigan
.... even with a 4-man camera crew and the best shit that money can buy, wind is a bitch for filming...
As a professional film-maker myself with extensive on the water experience, I can attest to this... and your clips above, if nothing else, attest to the conditions today. Hang in there (literally?) and thanks for the effort!!!

MR.CLEAN

Not here
I just heard the funniest thing ever out of the mouth of someone very high up in the Premiere chain of command. I'm going to write out what I heard, then I'll walk two hundred steps so I can slam three tall Mount Gay and fruity something or other. Hang on a second, because this is really worth it.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
First, though - please, please, please - show your support for the Kattack guys. Tom, the developer of the code, was out with us today, and he is certainly a real sailor. Aside from me, Tom was the only one who wasn't either hurling or near hurling. He wasn't pounding Stoli like I was, but he was having a good time. I convinced him to load the days tracks up on the Kattack player even though we didn't race, and they just finished it. Do yourselves a favor, do us a favor, and do everyone a favor who wants to watch more OTW coverage - clicky the linkys and show these guys you're listening - and watch a free day's worth of total mayhem in Key West.

After a few drinks, I'm headed home to get some photos up and write a front page story. We're going to get to bed pretty early tonight - last night I hit the bed at 5:30 and woke up at 7:30, and tomorrow night I'll be surprised if I get any sleep at all. We hope you enjoyed our coverage of this non-event as much as we did, and we promise you all that tomorrow will be the best day we've ever brought you in more than two years of OTW coverage for SA.

Here's the story I overheard:

A KW staff person was on the dock, talking to Paul Cayard and Terry Hutchinson last week. The staff person answered a question with "No, you're wrong - Bertarelli is definitely coming to the event."

Cayard looks at Hutch and says, "Is he gonna fuck this one up for everyone, too?"

Hutch looks back at Cayard, not laughing. "Paul, I think you really should sue him for lost wages."

Paul: "I think Dalts already has."

With that, I'm out - the rum is calling like a siren.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
That's why the NYYC/Swan 42 pisses me off so badly. The NYYC held a design contest, and they had a chance to create a truly exciting boat that would be fast, fun, and somewhat cruising friendly. At the price tag they talked about, it could be done light enough to have solid performance and still be somewhat useful with the family.
The design that they picked, now at almost 1.2 Million dollars race-ready, is a joke. It's a decent boat - but essentially, it's a giant J/109. I have nothing against the J/109, but over a million bucks for a 42 foot version of one? You've got to be kidding.

I happened to be in Maine last year at the same time as the NYYC and was parked next to two of these in Booth Bay. You're spot on on the criticism, and then add poor awlgrip jobs, incomplete hardware out of the factory, and shoddy construction. The boys I talked to were not impressed overall, but I never got to talk to a checkwriter to see what they thought. I was a lot more impressed by the Alden.

ILYAsailor90

Super Anarchist
PNW
Good job on the coverage Clean, It was better then nothing.

As for the wind it's not that bad, the only thing I can think of to cut down on wind is putting a little piece of scotch tape over the mic, from what I have seen it seems to work.

Where’s those two HD cameras that Vegas was talking about? You need to recruit some cameramen or women.

Looking forward to tomorrows coverage, I only have an hour and a half of class so I will be watching all day again.