onboard coffee??

Slick470

Super Anarchist
Virginia
I've been trying to figure this out for a while myself. Being the only coffee drinker in our house, I only care about one good cup of coffee in the morning (good enough for me, not Moonie). I have a stove top percolator but it makes too much for just me. I have tried an Areo Press and it does make a good cup of coffee, but I agree it has a lot of parts. Then I came across a kick starter for a "no mess French press" and ordered one during the early backer phase. They ended up meeting their $20k backer goal by a couple million, so it sounds like there is a market for this sort of home coffee gadget.

https://www.rite.company/

It's insulated stainless steel and it comes in a 1/2 liter and a 1 liter so I ordered the 1/2 liter. Being a kickstarter, it took a really long time to actually get the thing but I'm happy with the end result. It has a removable thermometer to get the water temp in the right range and an hour glass that sticks to the side with a magnet to help time the brew, all in a neat little package. Is it no mess, god no, but it might be a bit better than a standard french press. 

They had all sorts of early production issues that delayed the initial shipments, but while they were sorting all that out they designed a few different versions, so there is a ceramic and a plastic version and all sorts of accessories now as well. 

One of my favorite cups of coffee is camping in the winter and making coffee with a percolator over the fire. My dad has an old one in his camping kit that would make some slightly chewy coffee, but I always remember that coffee as being amazing. It was probably Folgers too. 

DDW

Super Anarchist
How do I steam the milk with that Rite thing? We need two threads: one for the doppio/frenchy crowd and one for the latte crowd. There are separate steamers and frothers, but they don't work well and that's one more thing I have to buy, store, and clean. 

Ishmael

Yes, we have no bananas
Fuctifino
Where do you load the coal in?

microcasaleva_s11.png

DDW

Super Anarchist
DDW, I drink my coffee black. I prefer simple and adding milk into the mix just adds complexity. 
Jesus, now we need three threads. I never drink coffee at all, only espresso, and only when mixed with properly steamed milk. The slope into snobbism is a steep one. 

DDW

Super Anarchist
Christ, now we need a Vegan thread? Probably two more, one for coffee and one espresso? Do those kind even drink milk?

IStream

Super Anarchist
Christ, now we need a Vegan thread? Probably two more, one for coffee and one espresso? Do those kind even drink milk?
This is the internet. This is how it works. Fractal bullshit and pedantry all the way down.

We have a lexan bodied french press left over from the camper that I forgot about. That may be the ticket, I really hate glass on a boat for anything.

I really like the idea of a thermal carafe french press, that seems handy for a few reasons
The Bodum brand has lexan bodies, available from fancy kitchen stores, and probably Amazon.  I found one in Victoria.  The captain was pleased.

While you can get thermal press pots, I wouldn't bother.  Pour it into a thermos instead, like they do in France.  This keeps it from over-steeping and getting bitter.

If rinsing the pot out is an issue for you, a cone filter may be better.  But then you have garbage to deal with.  If rinsing the grounds overboard hurts marine life, please let me know.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
I had a friend who brewed camp coffee this way, but instead of the paper towel filter, he added an egg to the pot. I'm not sure of the exact technique, but the egg is supposed to capture the grounds. He called it Swedish coffee. The filtering was inefficient, but the coffee was tasty.

My apologies to the Swedes.
That was how my grandmother made it, but only the white and after the boil. Then I found out it’s also how the French “fine” wine, as the egg protein binds with the swdiment and it settles. 

Cant see it working on  boat as the pot has to sit still for awhile.