onboard coffee??

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
I've created a little cafe in my lazarette with one of these:

image.png

Sorry - we just had a snowstorm and a 23 hour power outage. I'm a little giddy now that I have all my toys back.

eliboat

Super Anarchist
I use a Chemex.  Brews a fantastic pot of coffee.  Of course you need to be careful about the glass cone, but the flavor is worth it.  French presses, in addition to the aforementioned cleaning hassle, there have been studies that link the use of a French press with some types of heart disease.  Using a drip or pour over with a good filter has the opposite effect.  My understanding is that this  is because you don't filter out a lot of th oils that end up in a french press coffee (ever noticed that rainbow like gloss in a french press coffee?)

Anomaly2

Anarchist
Rhode Island
What is this!!! How come I've never seen one. Does it make a decent espresso? 
Kamira, made by Nino— backyard inventor in Sicily.

We bought five in his first year, my wife called and talked to him, asked him about being his US distributor. He said it was too soon, was focused on sales in Italy. A year later, we were with one of my wife’s good friends- a guy from Sicily who now lives in Minn. We show him a Kamira, tell him the distributor plan, ask him to go visit Nino when he goes to visit family in Sicily. He’s up for it- a partnership is quickly arranged over several bottles of wine. Then... he Googles “Kamira” on his phone: “ Hey, it’s on Amazon”

Sigh. I coulda been a contender. Back to the salt mines for me.

Yes, it makes lovely espresso

C4F849AA-858D-43F2-9C53-520428E0CF17.jpeg

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Kamira, made by Nino— backyard inventor in Sicily.

We bought five in his first year, my wife called and talked to him, asked him about being his US distributor. He said it was too soon, was focused on sales in Italy. A year later, we were with one of my wife’s good friends- a guy from Sicily who now lives in Minn. We show him a Kamira, tell him the distributor plan, ask him to go visit Nino when he goes to visit family in Sicily. He’s up for it- a partnership is quickly arranged over several bottles of wine. Then... he Googles “Kamira” on his phone: “ Hey, it’s on Amazon”

Sigh. I coulda been a contender. Back to the salt mines for me.

Yes, it makes lovely espresso

View attachment 292286
That is interesting, especially Sicilian back yard tech. Amazon has one listed but it's 'unavailable' at this time. What do they cost, I'll look for one.

I'm not put off by this review, I like a challenge:

"This unit exploded while it was making espresso and I have only had it since February 26, 2017. It broke the glass top of my new range from the explosion and bent the bottom of the unit so it was bulging out. I think the pressure release safety valve malfunctioned. The stove top is costing me $400.00 just for the new part." 

Rantifarian

Rantifarian
We have used both an insulated stainless French press (4 cups-2 each) and an Aeropress 2 cups at a time into the accessory Java Jug. The jug gives you a stable pressing base, and then you add more hot water to suit the number of cups or strength. The Aeropress stores inside the jug, so it takes about the same space as the French press. 
I've been looking for something like the java jug for ages, thanks!

We use an aeropress when sitting around with nowhere to be, but have a stash of coffee bags for when it's all too rushed. The Robert Timms extra strong ones are an improvement over instant for minimal extra effort. 

crankcall

Super Anarchist
Toronto
We have a lexan bodied french press left over from the camper that I forgot about. That may be the ticket, I really hate glass on a boat for anything. I've abandoned the Kuerig idea, I do like the variety of flavors, zero washing out and the little pods are recyclable here, but its another appliance to lug. I did find an induction one burner electric stove so if im at the dock i'll boil a kettle on it. 

If the dock has electricity its on them, I have to pay for the propane. 

I really like the idea of a thermal carafe french press, that seems handy for a few reasons

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
I have both a bialetti and a ss percolator on board with a hand-crank grinder.  The problem with the bialetti is that it's a real pain to re-set it for another round, if needed.  (Also need to keep a spare gasket on board...) Most often, I've just been using the percolator.  

Actually, lately I've gone over to the other side and just make a big pot of tea - have some of it hot in the morning and the rest cold with dinner.  Usually half black half herbal.  

Maybe there will be more time to mess around with coffee when I'm retired.  

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
We have Bialettis in various sizes. One was my mother's. They are simple and deliver a good coffee, provided you use the right coffee and decent water. Here's a couple of ULBs (Ultra Large Bialetti) my wife spotted in Verona a couple fo years ago:

image.png

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
I have both a bialetti and a ss percolator on board with a hand-crank grinder.  The problem with the bialetti is that it's a real pain to re-set it for another round, if needed.  (Also need to keep a spare gasket on board...) Most often, I've just been using the percolator.  

Actually, lately I've gone over to the other side and just make a big pot of tea - have some of it hot in the morning and the rest cold with dinner.  Usually half black half herbal.  

Maybe there will be more time to mess around with coffee when I'm retired.  
I have to say that hot tea was lovely on the mid watch, but on an empty stomach it gave me a belly ache.

HFC Hunter

Super Anarchist
Instant coffee. I regret each sip, but it’s safer/easier in sporty conditions.

Actually, usual is a French press first thing in the morning with Mrs HFC - I like to plunger. Then it’s time for a coffee in a similar style. ;)

DDW

Super Anarchist
I'm  checking it out online. What's the verdict: Close espresso? 
It is a replica of the original one made in Italy in the 50s. Produced in Taiwan and sold by someone, I'll have to look that up. Ah, here it is. There is a very high tech improved version made in Australia I think, but out of my price range. 

It doesn't develop enough pressure to do true espresso (which aficionados will say takes 14 bars or so) but it's closer than a mocha pot or the Bellman or any of the other percolator types. On the Atomic, the grind and tamp makes a big and sensitive difference - you need it to develop the maximum pressure before the release blows and you get nothing. That done, you can get a decent double or triple shot out of it (including la creama), then steam the milk.  I generally get the Italian Roast from Starbucks (don't start on me....) and have them grind it with the machine set on 1.5 (near Turkish grind). That keeps the pressure up but is still porous enough to get a shot. There are a few other tricks if you get one. 

I have the Bellman, a couple of the mocha pots including the latte version, and a few other gadgets. The Atomic is the stovetop solution I've settled on, one in the sailboat, one in the camper. In the powerboat I just have a countertop 110V espresso machine.

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
Speaking of coffee, last night I came across a review of the brew at the Holiday Inn breakfast bar: "It tasted like polluted river water strained through a dirty diaper."