One of Bob's GOB's

Thorvald

Puget Sound
Just noticed in the November UK sails newsletter that a Mirage 33 won the 2011Chi -Mac and back singlehanded race. Pretty good little read even for cruisers.(prep is a big deal).The guy sounds like a hell of a sailor still the boat has to be up to the task, so, Kudos Bob. If some smart fellow wants to set up the link to the story. That would be fine. Haven't figured that one out yet.

Just noticed in the November UK sails newsletter that a Mirage 33 won the 2011Chi -Mac and back singlehanded race. Pretty good little read even for cruisers.(prep is a big deal).The guy sounds like a hell of a sailor still the boat has to be up to the task, so, Kudos Bob. If some smart fellow wants to set up the link to the story. That would be fine. Haven't figured that one out yet.
Fixed it for ya.

SuperMac%20Ophir%20Mirage%2033.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
That's nice news to kick off Monday. Make me feel pretty good. But I ask myself, "Is it the boat or the rating?" Because Christmas is on the way I think I'll say, "Oh, it's the boat Bob. Most definitely the boat."

I'd strut around all day feeling full of myself but the dogs wouldn't notice anyway.

Dan33

Super Anarchist
That's nice news to kick off Monday. Make me feel pretty good. But I ask myself, "Is it the boat or the rating?" Because Christmas is on the way I think I'll say, "Oh, it's the boat Bob. Most definitely the boat."

I'd strut around all day feeling full of myself but the dogs wouldn't notice anyway.
I never thought the rating was overly generous, so lets say it was the boat and the skipper...go ahead, strut.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Ad:

Yes they do look a bit high but I'd credit that to the photo angle and foreshortening.

With a single spreader rig my practice was to put the spreaders at 54%.

I arrived at 54% after exhaustive, scientific study. Oh yeah, and copying other designers.

Thorvald

Puget Sound

I'd feel good. Cool boat!

Dan33

Super Anarchist
It's my understanding that the designer recommends adding two more ports per side.

(thanks Bruce)

I seem to have the small picture problem solved.

/monthly_12_2011/post-25646-096853400%201323101158_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0786.jpg
    DSCF0786.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 2

Thorvald

Puget Sound
Fixed it for ya.

SuperMac%20Ophir%20Mirage%2033.jpg
Thanks Salazar!

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS
Here is why it's the boat: the rating number is only correct for one set conditions, usually the conditions that suit the boat best. [Otherwise the rating would be too favorable, and everyone would complain.] For some boats, especially cruisers, performance falls off in light conditions, heavy conditions, or both. The boat with the best performance over the widest range of conditions will be the winner.

So, it's the boat.