OneSails drama.......

This is sad, having bought many excellent sails over the years from Jan Reuvers, both with Quantum and Ullman.

Not only were they competitively priced, they were delivered on time, and had the best price, performance, durability ratio I've ever seen.

Not sure what happened there, but Jan is a design genius and was for many years a very reputable sail maker in RSA.

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
This is sad, having bought many excellent sails over the years from Jan Reuvers, both with Quantum and Ullman. Not only were they competitively priced, they were delivered on time, and had the best price, performance, durability ratio I've ever seen.
Yes, it turns out that using others' trade secrets without paying is a good business strategy, until you get found out of course...

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
I learnt from a friend in the South African boating industry that a leading person from within the industry went and spoke to the sailmaker about the non-performance and that the sails were being despatched within the next day or so.

Lets hope all ends well.
This would mean the sails were built but never shipped!?

Or an incredibly fast construction time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Decay

For what it's worth "built but never shipped" is what I heard regarding my sail before communication was dropped. May or may not be factual.

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
That’s code for “spent the money finishing up other people’s sails. Bought too many nice dinners for my girlfriend after you gave me that fat deposit.”

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
Sadly I am neither shocked nor surprised at this story. The boating business (like many others) has many bad people. You combine this with "brands" which are actually represented by other local companies/individuals who in turn use other sub contractors/individuals. We may think we are dealing with a substantial/reputable organisation whilst handing over large sums of money but we are not

I've bought sails from One Sails UK and met reps of the Italian company who sponsored a Melges 20 event I did. Good sails and good people fortunately unlike the bunch in South Africa 

8:1

Some Island.
because north own all their dealers, dream on, same thing could and has happened to them.
No they do not and that is a FACT.  There are plenty of independent North Lofts.  If you want to get down to the root of the problem go find me a sailmaker.  Not a sales guy but a sailmaker.  Someone who sews like and sweatshop, kicks the stick like a designer, gets the boat around the buoys and shows up to work Monday sober, and I'll show you Santa Clause.     

Peacefrog

Super Anarchist
No they do not and that is a FACT.  There are plenty of independent North Lofts.  If you want to get down to the root of the problem go find me a sailmaker.  Not a sales guy but a sailmaker.  Someone who sews like and sweatshop, kicks the stick like a designer, gets the boat around the buoys and shows up to work Monday sober, and I'll show you Santa Clause.     
Can I put my hand up? I am a bit fat, Hair is turning grey so is the beard if I don’t shave, but can seem to get deer to fly :)

Svanen

Super Anarchist
Whitby
I have a big problem with people who use their "celebrity," however minor it may be, as leverage in what is essentially a minor contract dispute. I have no idea about the nature of the underlying matter--maybe they did get screwed, maybe there's more to the story.  We'll certainly never know. But, creating and disseminating a video like this is unseemly at best and borders on extortionate at worst. Go get a lawyer like the rest of us.
What celebrity?

Before this thread I’d never heard of these people, and couldn’t care less. Their website shows that they have: (1) an ugly boat, and (2) little sailing experience. No one should be influenced by anything sailing-related that they have to say.

h20man

Anarchy Organiser
ocean
First point - it DID make me think - what on earth were OneSails doing getting involved with these crooks.  A franchisor is supposed to do due diligence when signing up a new franchisee.  After all, a bad choice can adversely affect the brand - which you allude to.
A good franchisor shall in fact do the due diligence...  and should monitor to ensure things are good.

McDonald's (regardless of food quality) has one of the best franchise departments, with  Quality Control, ensuring service, meals, bathrooms etc are up to snuff, as well as ensuring location is of benefit.

Franchises should give benefits 3 ways..

1. Franchise supports Franchisee in Marketing, R&D and Raw Product Quality.
  2. Customer knows that a Franchise is behind the Franchisee, assuring the quality of service/product/experience, as well as backing the customer if there is a failure.
  3. Franchisee supports Franchise by delivering a broader reach to what the Franchise is selling.

Too often some people look at how they can make quick money.. 

Making quick money is easy...  and short term. Yet, the consequences of not providing what is needed are long term.

Making money long term is work.. but provides satisfaction to all, and if done properly can be a long term win win.

flotsam

That's terrible.  I feel for you both.

Not all One Sails franchisees are like that.  My co-owner and I recently ordered a no.1 headsail from One Sails in Perth.  We paid Paul Eldrid 50% up front and 50% on delivery.  It was made promptly and we're loving the new sail.