Online sailing movies

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
The DRUM movie about the 85-86 Whitbread Race is worth a watch.  It's free on YouTube at:

Last edited by a moderator:

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
Adrift

Horatio Hornblower

Kon-Tiki

Knife in the Water

Master and Commander

Muitiny on the Bounty

Moby Dick

Captain Couragous

Captain Blood

Donovan's Reef

The Dove

One Crazy Summer 

Simmer Rental

Between Home

Turning Tide

In the Heart of the Sea

unShirley

Super Anarchist
Ventura
Not a sailing movie per se but Master and Commander, a good tale, has the most realistic looking ocean shots.
From Wikipedia:

Aubrey–Maturin series

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search

Aubrey-Maturin series

Author

Patrick O'Brian

Country

Great Britain

Language

English

Genre

Literary fictionNautical fictionHistorical fiction

Published

1969–2004

The Aubrey–Maturin series is a sequence of nautical historical novels—20 completed and one unfinished—by Patrick O'Brian, set during the Napoleonic Wars and centering on the friendship between Captain Jack Aubrey of the Royal Navy and his ship's surgeon Stephen Maturin, a physician, natural philosopher, and intelligence agent. The first novel, Master and Commander, was published in 1969 and the last finished novel in 1999.[1] The 21st novel of the series, left unfinished at O'Brian's death in 2000, appeared in print in late 2004. 

I like to read from various genres and never read two books in a row from the same genre.  So, it took me a few years, but I read the entire Aubrey-Maturin series and enjoyed it immensely.  In fact, it was long enough ago that I might start over and do it again.  Turn the TV off and read a book (or a kindle).

A

Amati

Worst Sailing movie was All is Lost!
We saw it at a downtown Seattle movie theatre.  When we went in, we didn’t know if there were any other sailors in the audience.  But then about 3/4 of the audience discovered the lack of an EPIRB at the same moment, and started yelling at the screen.  It went downhill from there......people were throwing popcorn at the screen, yelling and laughing.  At one point a couple of the theatre crew came in to see what was going on, but we found our out later they couldn’t  figure it out and left.  A bunch of us wound up at a bar across the street and the best we could come up with was he was an alcoholic who never had sailed before.  

See Level

Working to overcome my inner peace
Not the best sailing movie, but the scene in Pirates of the Caribbean where the Black Pearl decides to fight Barbarossa and drops their anchor to spin the boat and bring their guns to bear,  great trick, I wonder if it was ever actually used in battle?

Mudsailor

Anarchist
So Cal
Who cares - Keira Knightley.......maybe she needs another thread over in GA

keep em coming, watching Drum right now.  

A

Amati

21 minutes ago, See Level said:

Not the best sailing movie, but the scene in Pirates of the Caribbean where the Black Pearl decides to fight Barbarossa and drops their anchor to spin the boat and bring their guns to bear,  great trick, I wonder if it was ever actually used in battle?

‘Battleship’ did that- pretty cool.  No sailboats, but good water and boats action.

Would ‘African Queen’ couldn’t.   More motor boat stuff.