Oops

KC375

Super Anarchist
Northern Hemisphere
More at gCaptain

1663680021190.png

NaClH20

Super ciliary
Curious as to why there are so many people standing around watching. And at least one with the leisure to be filming. Someone must have known there was a problem and everyone was just waiting to see a train wreck…

nolatom

Super Anarchist
New Orleans
The Chief Mate, and Supercargo if there was one, will have some explaining to do regarding ballasting, weight and placement of containers, and the load/offload sequence, and GM calculations.

And yes, the offloading floating crane operator, tried hard to help, taking that outboard container and trying to set it down onto the inboard stack, but the forces already in motion were way too much.

The GOLDEN RAY, a car carried that capsized while departing Savannah under pilotage, was another demonstration of how not to do it:

We sailboat sailors have it pretty good by comparison, with (mostly) heavy keels, beamy shape, and lightweight rig high, up to keep us upright.

Last edited:

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Curious as to why there are so many people standing around watching. And at least one with the leisure to be filming. Someone must have known there was a problem and everyone was just waiting to see a train wreck…
Looked pretty sudden to me.

What do you think they should have done?

NaClH20

Super ciliary
What do you think they should have done?
Oh I’m not questioning what was being done. It’s just that there’s no particular reason that so many people would be standing around watching a ship being unloaded, and it was curious that anybody would know to be filming that particular operation at that particular time. The use of the truck crane was a little unusual too. I’m just wildly speculating (we can do that here, right?) that somebody knew that there was an issue, people were trying to correct it, and someone (lots of someones by the look of it) thought that the situation was crazy and things were likely to go belly up. Which they did. Wonder what the root problem was… Container get loaded in the wrong place? Empties went in first by mistake? Clearly something was off. Obviously.

Veeger

Super Anarchist
Stability issues are sneaky. There's lot's of 'little' things that can suddenly 'add up'. I'd suspect a little issue with either ballast or bunker transfers going on at the same time as the cargo ops. Get a little list, inadvertently leave some Port and Stbd tanks common and things start to gravitate and Voila--you're swimming! Trying to compensate with weights is an exercise in chasing your tail as things are still moving as long as there is a list. If that kind of scenario was indeed in play, at least 3 peeps (should have) lost their job--Capt, Ch Mate, watch engineer and even a Deck watch officer if it wasn't the Ch Mate.

Actually, everyone lost their jobs there that day--some perhaps only on a temporary basis.

Veeger

Super Anarchist
I was on a ship once (not as crew, but as cargo rep/mooring master) that started taking on water as it got loaded. Got deeper in the water and the Ch Engineer decided he needed to tell me about his 'little' problem. It seems that the shit tank was now below the waterline. No prob. Yes, prob. It seems that the shit tank was also somewhat corroded and was now leaking through its side into the ER. No prob, shut off the shit system. Problemo. It seems that the skin valve is corroded in the open position! Ah, I see your problem and NO, you can't pump bilges here. How long before something important gets wet? Mebbe 6 hours. When I got off the ship, they had a diver pounding a wooden plug into the through hull and the crew building a nice wooden shitter hanging out over the poop deck and shortly after sailed halfway across the Pacific Ocean to their discharge port.

Moral of the story: Shit happens

Last edited:

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Truck drivers waiting for their load with nothing to do according to Twitter. I've got a Turkish co-worker. Maybe he can translate the yelling. :)

Nice effort by the crane operator but a bit too little/too late.

Latest posts