Open Source Marine Linux for Raspberry Pi

mgrouch

USA
Open Source BBN Marine Linux Free OS for Raspberry Pi
2021-10-04-Release-Stable (Long Term Support 2)

Notes: This release is the second Stable Long Term Support

More was done for offshore sailors and live-aboard. All touchscreen issues including OpenCPN were resolved even in previous release.

• Firewall added
  • Recognize Shipmodul
  • Magnetic variation fix in SignalK
  • Improved performance and usability of Stellarium
  • Fixed conflict of pypilot and bluetooth
  • Polars added
  • Add-ons Maritime Library
  • More SignalK plugins
  • Better winlink support (2 apps pat-winlink and jpskmail)
  • Gribs dir location fix in OpenCPN
  • Harder limits for rsyslog
  • Allow updates via apt even if cloudsmith is out of bandwidth
  • Added rpiboot for CM4 support
  • Documentation improvements. Better hardware support section and more.
  • A separate image is available for Waveshare CM4 IoT board/box
  • Mirrored release image. 2 locations to download from (cloudsmith and archive.org)

Download at

Bareboat Necessities OS Documentation
Getting Started Guide at

Bareboat Necessities OS Documentation
Project Home at github

mgrouch

USA
I have dAISy AIS USB and Argonaut m7 screen a cockpit.

I do download GRIBs and use them. My boat has an LTE router (Spitz)

mgrouch

USA
I've also have speakers connected to Pi and use touchscreen both as a chartplotter/dashboard and music player.

LTE modem has GPS built-in and I use it as well.

mgrouch

USA
Also wind speed/direction is fed via NMEA into Pi with FTDI USB stick from wireless masthead transducer

and compass is via IMU on pi.

mgrouch

USA
They are described in Hardware section of Getting Started Guide.

There are industrial options with CM4 as well.

You can put the whole system into weather proof enclosure and use cable glands for exits

(the way telecom providers put their equipment outside).

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
The list of supported IMUs is in Getting Started (Hardware) section. The support is via PyPilot.

https://bareboat-necessities.github.io/my-bareboat/bareboat-os.html#_imu_compass_accelerometer_gyroscope
And how many of them are commercially available as 'plug and play' items? Which ones? from whom/where?

I've *been* down this rabbit hole. I never did find an IMU that worked without extensive fucking about with Arduino code or similar when what I wanted was basically a black box that got power in and engineering magic numbers out. Such as ships heading in degrees.

There's a fair bit of stuff that works but as I said, it's a rabbit hole of arbitrary depth/branch counts, a lof of them ending in a dead end. I hit one the other day with a Bosch IMU that turns out to be buggy as hell and obsolete to boot yet it's on that list you provided.

FWIW I like, use and recommend Raspberry Pi's but you're trivialising the problems the moment you do more than load up OpenCPN - and I'm a software developer.

FKT

mgrouch

USA
And how many of them are commercially available as 'plug and play' items? Which ones? from whom/where?

I've *been* down this rabbit hole. I never did find an IMU that worked without extensive fucking about with Arduino code or similar when what I wanted was basically a black box that got power in and engineering magic numbers out. Such as ships heading in degrees.

There's a fair bit of stuff that works but as I said, it's a rabbit hole of arbitrary depth/branch counts, a lof of them ending in a dead end. I hit one the other day with a Bosch IMU that turns out to be buggy as hell and obsolete to boot yet it's on that list you provided.

FWIW I like, use and recommend Raspberry Pi's but you're trivialising the problems the moment you do more than load up OpenCPN - and I'm a software developer.

FKT
Sorry to hear about your IMU issues. If you looked at the list provided Bosch IMU is specifically mentioned as experimental and unreliable on pi. So your issues with Bosch just confirm accuracy of the list.

IMUs are key component in drones and they somehow fly. You can check PyPilot documentation / forums and find IMU that works without going into Arduino code.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
You can simply start with below deck system and use a regular consumer monitor in a dry place in your nav station.
I could, but my power consumption would then go up. I have been chasing it the other way. I started with an ordinary old laptop, which worked well but used about 3 amps. Then I hacked a small Dell Chromebook to accept Mint and started using that. It draws under an amp and works pretty well. My latest tech is an Ipad running SeaIQ on a mount. It draws even less than the Chromebook and can be carried around the boat. If under power or otherwise not needing the last bit of battery I run both and if I am really wanting to save amps I run just the iPad.

I may set up a rig-pi for the ham radio duties, but for a nav system I can't seem find any kind of monitor that won't draw a lot more power than what I have now. maybe I am looking in the wrong places??

I love SeaIQ btw, it looks like OpenCPN so it works well looking from one display to the other. http://seaiq.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

mgrouch

USA
I could, but my power consumption would then go up. I have been chasing it the other way. I started with an ordinary old laptop, which worked well but used about 3 amps. Then I hacked a small Dell Chromebook to accept Mint and started using that. It draws under an amp and works pretty well. My latest tech is an Ipad running SeaIQ on a mount. It draws even less than the Chromebook and can be carried around the boat. If under power or otherwise not needing the last bit of battery I run both and if I am really wanting to save amps I run just the iPad.

I may set up a rig-pi for the ham radio duties, but for a nav system I can't seem find any kind of monitor that won't draw a lot more power than what I have now. maybe I am looking in the wrong places??

I love SeaIQ btw, it looks like OpenCPN so it works well looking from one display to the other. http://seaiq.com/
For power usage you need to be specific. 3 amps at what voltage? Power is watts. Monitor power usage depends on size and backlight brightness.

It shouldn't be an issue to find low power consumption monitor for nav station, with the power usage less than iPad of comparable size.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
For power usage you need to be specific. 3 amps at what voltage? Power is watts. Monitor power usage depends on size and backlight brightness.

It shouldn't be an issue to find low power consumption monitor for nav station, with the power usage less than iPad of comparable size.
My boat is a 12 volt boat. Is it possible to have a Pi and 10" monitor come in under 1/2 amp at 12 volts?