Open Source Marine Linux for Raspberry Pi

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Did you use to use your paper maps outside ?

OK, having a screen outside is a big plus but most of us are old enough to be used to navigate with the nav station inside! Tyhe outside screen trend is relatively new, first time I've used one was probably about in 2005!
I did sometimes, I had a book of waterproof charts ;)

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Yes, we also had "P charts" (the P was for plastified) but with the wind and spray it wasn't really more practical than keeping it inside. On small boats (20 footers) people had a bit of plywood with elastic chords to keep the map on it so that they could have the map on their laps sat in the companionway.
I do about 98% of my navigating below at the chart table, but when I need to see the plotter and steer at the same time I *really* need it. Part of this comes from having a crew of 4-6 people to being 2 people or just me.

SimonGH

Westbrook CT
After trying this and a few other RPi solutions, I ultimately have decided to go with an ODroid-XU4 running Android.

The XU4 uses an eMMC module which is significantly faster than an SD card, so OpenCPN renders charts much faster and touch screen control is smoother.

Also Android supports multi-point touch, so the familiar "pinch to zoom" and other gestures work.

In addition, because you're running Android you get the google play store, and all the apps available (that are tablet formatted automatically).  If you like Navionics, B&G, PredictWind, etc., they are all available on Android.

I will keep the RPi to run the SignalK server / N2k bridge, although that can be replaced with a device like the iKommunicate.

If I were a developer, I would actually start with an Android based platform because the MFD-like touch screen interface is inherent to the architecture.  I still maintain that the RPi builds are all starting from a desktop interface, which means you're still messing about with tiny buttons, awkward trackball / mouse / keyboard solutions.

You could potentially then run the OS / Apps on hardened Android hardware, such as some of the sunlight readable & ruggedized tablets.

mgrouch

USA
The XU4 uses an eMMC module which is significantly faster than an SD card, so OpenCPN renders charts much faster and touch screen control is smoother.

Also Android supports multi-point touch, so the familiar "pinch to zoom" and other gestures work.

In addition, because you're running Android you get the google play store, and all the apps available (that are tablet formatted automatically).  If you like Navionics, B&G, PredictWind, etc., they are all available on Android.

eMMC is still slower than SSD which you can have with Raspberry. Or you can have industrial raspberry with CM4 and eMMC.

Multi-touch (pinch zoom) works with BBN OS too (including in OpenCPN). You can also connect Android tablet to it and fully control it from Raspberry pi screen with touch using scrcpy which is included in BBN OS.

Android does have many good paid applications.

With raspberry you have more options to connect sensors and pick interfaces for your needs. Unix is more open for scripting and automating things.

mgrouch

USA
New release 2022-01-04 of Open-source Bareboat Necessities Marine OS for Raspberry Pi is available for downloads now. 

It still includes OpenCPN 5.2.4 because OpenCPN 5.6.0 still doesn’t have all plugins available. 

You can upgrade to OpenCPN to 5.6.0 easily with apt install and update all plugins via OCPN plugin manager. 

Release notes for this BBN release
and links to Getting Started Guide and download locations:

https://github.com/bareboat-necessities/lysmarine_gen/releases/tag/v2022-01-04

Thanks

Panoramix

Super Anarchist
After trying this and a few other RPi solutions, I ultimately have decided to go with an ODroid-XU4 running Android.
Down the road aren't you going to be hit by planned obsolescence issues with the current flavour of Android not playing nicely with your older hardware, or unmaintainable software that has disappeared from Google play ? Hopefully boats last a bit longer than phones... trying to use a 10 year old phone can be a bit of a challenge.

bay_cloud

SF Bay area
If the aftermarket case keeps the tablet dry but still allows touch, and has provision for a bigger battery pack, yes it should be good. Not sure about gloves though, even my Simrad MFD doesn't really work with gloves on.

The battery life thing depends on your use-case. A few hours, not a real problem. More than 8 hours, you'll need some form of battery assist. At least that's my experience.

Bright sunshine doesn't seem to be a problem, even my cheap 7" Samsung is easily readable.

The tablets are a good way to go for casual use.

FKT
I bought a 10.1 *resistive* display, ip67, standard vesa mount for $500 off alibaba. 120v and 12v waterproof power supply and cables. Thick bezels but otherwise seems great. Should work better than your MFD under wet conditions. I chose that over multi touch.  Opencpn works fine but need to figure out right click. 

I've done basic programming, mostly web service automatons/ server side Javascript and agree pypilot looks confusing. Would love to upgrade my 100 series autopilot. 

This BBN program looks to be very relevant to me and when I have time in a month or so may try it out. 

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
I bought a 10.1 *resistive* display, ip67, standard vesa mount for $500 off alibaba. 120v and 12v waterproof power supply and cables. Thick bezels but otherwise seems great. Should work better than your MFD under wet conditions. I chose that over multi touch.  Opencpn works fine but need to figure out right click.
What's the brightness level though? If it's not better than 800 nits (candelas/m2) I think you'll be sorely disappointed for bright sunlight use.

I have an 11.6" 16:9 ratio 1000 nits waterproof screen on order ATM. Capacitive touch so we'll see how that goes - don't care a lot. Main requirement was the brightness & waterproofing.

FKT

bay_cloud

SF Bay area
What's the brightness level though? If it's not better than 800 nits (candelas/m2) I think you'll be sorely disappointed for bright sunlight use.

I have an 11.6" 16:9 ratio 1000 nits waterproof screen on order ATM. Capacitive touch so we'll see how that goes - don't care a lot. Main requirement was the brightness & waterproofing.

FKT
Listed as 1000 nit, far brighter than my 350 nit laptop, but the real test will be socal or Mexico in the summer, not SF in the winter.

similar to this without the extra bezel lip

http://m.embeddedtouchpanelpc.com/sale-12381167-10-4-inch-1000-nits-resistive-touch-monitor-1024-768-with-sealed-i-o-cable-set.html

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
https://m.alibaba.com/product/1600261256833/Touchthink-outdoor-sunlight-monitor-10-4.html

Touchthink monitor on Alibaba looks promising. You can order it customized in 1000 nits

And in that one small sentence lies endless possibilities for disappointment...

I have ordered a screen. If it arrives and is as ordered, I'll happily post the details. I ordered it and paid by PayPal so I have some recourse if it's not as described. The TouchThink ones looked good but I couldn't find a method of payment other than credit card and I don't want that number out there anywhere I can help. You may be more trusting.

FKT

mgrouch

USA
BBN Marine Linux OS for Raspberry Pi 2022-02-10-Release-Stable is available for downloads

Long Term Support Release 10.

Based on Buster

Changes:

• Added solarthing
  • Added maiana AIS support via add-ons
  • Added OpenCPN config for higher resolution monitors
  • Fixes for log OpenCPN plugin
  • PyPilot updates
  • Mopidy youtube updates
  • Updates to SignalK
  • RPI firmware updates
  • Doc updates

Download at https://cloudsmith.io/~bbn-projects/repos/bbn-repo/packages/?q=lysmarine

Getting Started Guide: https://bareboat-necessities.github.io/my-bareboat/bareboat-os.html

Sisu3360

Anarchist
I've looked through this project and a few others, and I'm still a little confused - what I'm looking for is a box with an internal or peripheral compass/magnetometer, GPS, and the ability to connect a wind instrument in the future (not sure if wired or wireless yet), and send that data to either an iOS or Android app (e.g. iRegatta), probably in NMEA 0183 format via a WiFi network broadcast by the system (frontend device would be no more than about 8 feet from the box, it's a small boat). I do not have any need for frontend hardware or software beyond an off-the-shelf phone/tablet and the app(s) thereon.

Is the boat gateway all I need, or do I also need the boat computer? It looks like you have your GPS, compass, several other sensors, and NMEA inputs run through the computer, but the gateway appears to be the WiFi hub I'm looking for. Or am I completely off-base?

Basically, I'm looking for the sailing version of Stratux, which is a Raspberry Pi-based unit for flying that brings in some data broadcasted by the FAA and other airplanes, along with an onboard GPS/attitude sensor, and sends the data to your tablet running a flying app with a simple WiFi dongle (or the onboard WiFi of later models). Mine fits in a relatively small 3D printed case with an onboard fan and it's served me well for years. Seems like I shouldn't need two separate modules to do something similar on a boat, but maybe I do. I know your system is meant to support a much more sophisticated data network.

mgrouch

USA
I've looked through this project and a few others, and I'm still a little confused - what I'm looking for is a box with an internal or peripheral compass/magnetometer, GPS, and the ability to connect a wind instrument in the future (not sure if wired or wireless yet), and send that data to either an iOS or Android app (e.g. iRegatta), probably in NMEA 0183 format via a WiFi network broadcast by the system (frontend device would be no more than about 8 feet from the box, it's a small boat). I do not have any need for frontend hardware or software beyond an off-the-shelf phone/tablet and the app(s) thereon.

Is the boat gateway all I need, or do I also need the boat computer? It looks like you have your GPS, compass, several other sensors, and NMEA inputs run through the computer, but the gateway appears to be the WiFi hub I'm looking for. Or am I completely off-base?

Basically, I'm looking for the sailing version of Stratux, which is a Raspberry Pi-based unit for flying that brings in some data broadcasted by the FAA and other airplanes, along with an onboard GPS/attitude sensor, and sends the data to your tablet running a flying app with a simple WiFi dongle (or the onboard WiFi of later models). Mine fits in a relatively small 3D printed case with an onboard fan and it's served me well for years. Seems like I shouldn't need two separate modules to do something similar on a boat, but maybe I do. I know your system is meant to support a much more sophisticated data network.

You do not need pi or multi-user OS (as linux) in your case. You just need ESP32 MCU controller with sensors connected to it and a little bit of programming it.

Google for ESP32 and NMEA on it. There are plenty of projects with open source code. One of them is SenESP.

mgrouch

USA

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!

This

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172684461880?hash=item2834cbc738:g:c1wAAOSwcUBYUMKf

Plus this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/182598371832?hash=item2a83b609f8:g:Tl4AAOSwc9ha6X~q

Will do what you want.

I do the combining elsewhere, so I use this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/182598371832?hash=item2a83b609f8:g:Tl4AAOSwc9ha6X~q

I get more or less the same results as I do flying, I get GPS position and traffic on my various phones and devices. I am using this on my iThings:

http://seaiq.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

mgrouch

USA
New BBN Marine Linux OS for Raspberry Pi
2022-04-27-Release-Stable

Now with OpenCPN 5.6.2 and latest HomeAssistant including energy dashboard.

Based on Buster

Changes:

• Fixed and updated HomeAssistant
  • HomeAssistant now includes Energy Dashboard
  • Avnav update

Download at https://cloudsmith.io/~bbn-projects/repos/bbn-repo/packages/?q=lysmarine

Getting Started Guide: https://bareboat-necessities.github.io/my-bareboat/bareboat-os.html

Comparison matrix vs OpenPlotter:

https://bareboat-necessities.github.io/my-bareboat/bareboat-necessities-vs-openplotter.html

Fair Winds

mgrouch

USA