OREGON OFFSHORE

born2sail

Super Anarchist
Place your bets :lol: My money's on Summer Wind :rolleyes:

The race starts Thursday, 13 May, @ 10:00.

Wave Dancer

Rage

California Girl

Orizaba

Summer Wind

Katzenjammer

Cool Change

Ya Shure

Sanitariam

Wy'East

L'Orca

Passpartout

Peregrine

Aja

Anam Cara

Last edited by a moderator:

WunHungLo

Super Anarchist
PNW
The list of entries doesn't look right without the Banditos. :(

I suppose it gives someone else a chance to win it :D

PS: Seems like the Blog has more current info than the website with respect to entrants. What is Summer Wind? No info on the blog either.

born2sail

Super Anarchist
The list of entries doesn't look right without the Banditos. :(

I suppose it gives someone else a chance to win it :D

PS: Seems like the Blog has more current info than the website with respect to entrants. What is Summer Wind? No info on the blog either.
Yep, not quite the same without Time Bandit. We need to encourage a race from up north down to Astoria so more of the BC & WA homeboys & girls join us.

I'm not sure what's up with the CYC Offshore website. We're whining about it.

Summer Wind is a Cal 43.

snyrt

It was an absolutely beautiful race. Proudly, L'Orca won 2nd in class and 5th overall. We had terrific conditions (13-24kts of breeze with 7-12ft swell) for the first 20 or so hours, then about 10 hours of absolute calm navigating the currents resulting from the ebb of the Straits of San Juan de Fuca, and then a blast reach in 20-28kts up the Straits, which of course turned into a sketchy, dead run (on a 35S5 with weather-helm issues). California Girl did a great job in Class C (though not so good giving us predictions at the weather briefing) and Orizaba blew everyone away with a corrected victory over Rage, a Wylie 70 (if memory serves it was within 4 minutes corrected). Though some boats dropped out due to seasickness and mechanical troubles, we got together in Victoria for a great party. It was my first Oregon Offshore and I was amazed at how tactical it was. Short-tacking the Washington shore offered a unique set of challenges, including a pissed-off Humpback tangled in a crabpot. The entrance to the straits is a crapshoot, and the strange wind patterns (or lack thereof) kept the sail changes coming. I've got to say, it was a hell of a race for only a 192nm rhumb-line. I can't wait to see it grow. Though I'm stuck back in Chicago for the season, I wish everyone luck in the Swiftsure in two weeks! A run-down is available at oregonoffshore.blogspot.com and hopefully we'll have some of our pics and video up publicly in the near future.

And here's California Girl's vid:

J24Soup

Super Anarchist
Portland, OR
It was a great/fun run on Orizaba, and correcting out over the new/"detuned" Rage was a blast. We were actually ahead of them for a bit before the corner as heading out 30mi. offshore overnight paid off huge, but once the wind reached them along the short the rocketed around the corner and down the straights. Luckily we were just close enough behind. Is a fun program, friends sailing together for years, and great owner - good to see him enjoy it. I heard about the whale on the radio, wild. And for having wind the whole way, still a long haul. As always, great reception by the CYC folks, Victoria, etc. Definately missed giving the Banditos a run for their money. Congrats to L'Orca and California Girl as well. Anyone know how to post/share a track out of Nobeltec?