Original HarryProa for SALE!

RockCoast88

Maine, USA
Original Harry Proa design, 40' multi-hull. Day cruiser with small sleeping cabin. Custom designed for a local sailing school. Kit. Never fully put together and painted. Good condition. Some work required. Would make a great beginner project, as all pieces are available. Mast, sails and boat trailer included. Buyer must pay, and arrange for, shipping from Maine, USA. $6,000 Photos available upon request. Contact: [email protected]

Russell Brown

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend WA
It seems like the designer could post it on his website. We do that for clients and friends and it has been successful for selling dinghies.

Advertising on this forum is not usually okay unless you buy a classified add.

Last edited by a moderator:

peterAustralia

you know. I am old enough to remember when Rob Denney went on yahoo group Proafile and dished one of Russell Brown's Pacific Proas, when it was for sale for only $30K. The essence was that it was not a great boat because the resale price was so low. From memory Rob said that was roughly equivalent to a set of new sails (which it may have been). $6K is not high resale, I think I saw some photos a week or so back and the condition is not great (this is from memory) , price is still low though

harryproa

Anarchist
The boat was the first pro built Harry, by Mark Stephens.  He did his usual great job but we underquoted both time and cost.  Consequently, we did some free stuff and the top coat was not complete before it had to be loaded on the ship. 
It was not built as a kit.  All the parts are there, it 'just' needs cleaning up (20 odd years sitting outside), paint and assembly.
Apart from a novel walk through cockpit arrangement and a 30 hp engine bracket, both of which could easily be altered, it is standard for Harry's at the time.  Construction is strip planked cedar/epoxy/glass for the hulls, carbon/cedar beams and carbon rudders, unstayed mast and boom.  From memory the sails are by Pierre Gal, who also built the sails for a couple of other Harrys.   I am not sure what rudders are on the boat, but I will supply plans for the latest ones to the buyer if they wish to change them.  As with all Harryproas, I will give the new owner as much support as required.

At $6,000 it is a bargain for someone prepared to do some work and try something a little different.  

It has been advertised on the Harryproa chat group, which is currently having by far the deepest (and reasonable) discussion of proa attributes,  behaviour and options that I have seen in the near 25 years I have been posting to forums.  

RockCoast,
Paying for an ad is voluntary, the fuss is made by sanctimonious types who don't understand the meaning of anarchy and waste their time reading a post titled For SALE! so they can feel good about telling people how to behave.   If the boat sells to a reader, maybe send Scott (site owner) a cheque for 25 bucks (the cost of an ad) and a thank you note.

Let's see how this thread goes
sarcasm font on  
Yeah.  If it follows recent trends, Two Birds will accuse me of trolling; Janet will attest to my lack of scruples for not racing Bucket List; Russ will post some sanctimonious tripe, demand to know why no HP owners post on SA and how dare I mention proas when (apart from the ones I have told him about 10's of times), none have raced or crossed oceans; someone will tell him to behave and he will apologise or sulk, again; Ryan will denigrate me, then ask why we can't all just get along; Pil will tell us he 'doesn't get proas', but won't say why, someone will bring up some ancient history and someone else will mix up Pacific and Atlantic proas and Joe will post the photos of Jzerro and inform us that Harryproas are not Pacific proas.  None of them will discuss the boat in the topic or want to know anything about it.   
Interest in Harrys will increase as new readers want to know what it is about a boat and designer that can generate this much angst and aggression.
Then someone will accuse me of spoiling the thread.  ;-) 

Meanwhile, tomorrow I start assembling the 24m/80' 3,000 kgs/6,600 lbs, $AUS40,000/$US30,000 so far cargo proa prototype after 10 enjoyable months building the components and testing some interesting concepts and ideas.  All going well, it will be supplying a zero emissions freight service to remote Fijian villages by Christmas.

Guvacine

North CA
The boat was the first pro built Harry, by Mark Stephens.  He did his usual great job but we underquoted both time and cost.  Consequently, we did some free stuff and the top coat was not complete before it had to be loaded on the ship. 
It was not built as a kit.  All the parts are there, it 'just' needs cleaning up (20 odd years sitting outside), paint and assembly.
Apart from a novel walk through cockpit arrangement and a 30 hp engine bracket, both of which could easily be altered, it is standard for Harry's at the time.  Construction is strip planked cedar/epoxy/glass for the hulls, carbon/cedar beams and carbon rudders, unstayed mast and boom.  From memory the sails are by Pierre Gal, who also built the sails for a couple of other Harrys.   I am not sure what rudders are on the boat, but I will supply plans for the latest ones to the buyer if they wish to change them.  As with all Harryproas, I will give the new owner as much support as required.

At $6,000 it is a bargain for someone prepared to do some work and try something a little different.  

It has been advertised on the Harryproa chat group, which is currently having by far the deepest (and reasonable) discussion of proa attributes,  behaviour and options that I have seen in the near 25 years I have been posting to forums.  

RockCoast,
Paying for an ad is voluntary, the fuss is made by sanctimonious types who don't understand the meaning of anarchy and waste their time reading a post titled For SALE! so they can feel good about telling people how to behave.   If the boat sells to a reader, maybe send Scott (site owner) a cheque for 25 bucks (the cost of an ad) and a thank you note.

sarcasm font on  
Yeah.  If it follows recent trends, Two Birds will accuse me of trolling; Janet will attest to my lack of scruples for not racing Bucket List; Russ will post some sanctimonious tripe, demand to know why no HP owners post on SA and how dare I mention proas when (apart from the ones I have told him about 10's of times), none have raced or crossed oceans; someone will tell him to behave and he will apologise or sulk, again; Ryan will denigrate me, then ask why we can't all just get along; Pil will tell us he 'doesn't get proas', but won't say why, someone will bring up some ancient history and someone else will mix up Pacific and Atlantic proas and Joe will post the photos of Jzerro and inform us that Harryproas are not Pacific proas.  None of them will discuss the boat in the topic or want to know anything about it.   
Interest in Harrys will increase as new readers want to know what it is about a boat and designer that can generate this much angst and aggression.

Meanwhile, tomorrow I start assembling the 24m/80' 3,000 kgs/6,600 lbs, $AUS40,000/$US30,000 so far cargo proa prototype after 10 enjoyable months building the components and testing some interesting concepts and ideas.  All going well, it will be supplying a zero emissions freight service to remote Fijian villages by Christmas.

Why don't you just stay on the Harryproa Chat group? Seems like a no-brainer.

RockCoast88

Maine, USA
Firstly, let me apologize for any missteps in forum protocol, or disruption, this thread may have caused. Yes, I am new to this forum. I inherited this proa when my father passed away suddenly a few years ago. Like most of you, I'm sure, he spent his entire life working hard while building boats on the side so he could follow that pull to the water. He was able to turn that passion into some long hours and back-breaking work as a staple in the local harbor here in Maine (I'd say Google him - you'd get some great stories - but trolls will be trolls), just to be out there. Every year was the year he hoped to retire and get the Proa out. Unfortunately, the daily grind and health got him before he was able to see that happen. I do not know all the exact reasons this was never completed, because I know it was always on his mind. He was a lot of things - an old salt, a genius curmudgeon - and he taught me more about life than I care to get into, but as a young woman, sailing was not one of the things I was interested in. A regret of mine now, for sure! That said, with small children, and little knowledge, this project is not something my aging mother and I are able to undertake. It deserves to find someone who will appreciate it fully. 

So, here we are. In a niche forum with a boat we always knew had a very specific audience (my father wouldn't have loved it so much if it wasn't something different - especially in the North Atlantic). Drag us through the coals if you must (for any number of reasons). We know there are strong opinions and many experts in this passionate universe. We have been lucky enough to learn a bit as we navigate the journey to get the proa into the right hands, but admittedly, STILL haven't mastered all the nuances of the sailing world. We're grateful for the insight Rob has provided, when he's been able, and have had a few kind strangers give us advice along the way as well - leading us to this forum for example. 

Yes, this very same boat had been originally posted in ads and other forums at $30K (as we had been advised it could be worth that). Yes, this post might have all the "magical" words, but that is because bullet points are all we know in this instance. Nothing to hide. We have additional pictures. It's becoming increasingly more dangerous for our kids to play in the yard with the boat there, and we don't want to spend more money to re-shore it/house it knowing we won't be able to ever get to it ourselves. What we really want is for it to get to a person who will love it. Period. If that happens to be someone here, we would be overjoyed! If not, please scroll on, we appreciate that small kindness. 

Russell Brown

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend WA
You'll be able to sell that boat, Rock. Your post will help "calm the seas" here. It can be an unfriendly place, but lots of good people too. It's a good time to sell any boat and there are a lot of proa nuts in the woods. How else are you advertising?

PIL66 - XL2

Super Anarchist
Stralya

sarcasm font on  

I have said this somewhere before Rob

I believe $ for $ the standard cat / tri beats a proa in all areas. Performance / volume / ease of use / safety / Handling / Life expectancy........  and all this comes at a higher price but the resale more than balances this out. The proof is in the numbers and the amount of secondhand proas  / tris / cats still out there being used and cared for....... all in my humble opinion.... The overwhelming amount will agree, you will not. That's cool

The figures above on your latest build don't add up.... 10 months working on this must be part time with no overheads or rent on your workshop....? Maybe materials only...?

All builders i know have an hourly rate of $60-$110 an hour.... That's $72000 if you work 6 hour day at $60 per hour. I assume you aren't adding in your labour...?

BTW... I'm not having a crack here. I'm genuinely interested in how this build goes.

Pil

peterAustralia

Good luck with your sale of the Harry Proa, It should sell at that price. I think it is a large enough size to be practical, and although not a layout I prefer, (wtw), for that style it is designed well. Being epoxy composite, and stored on land, it should not have degraded over the years. As to the harry proa cargo, nice concept, my  2 cents is that the l/w ratio is too high. I suspect that a lower ratio say 15to 1 vs 20 to 1 would give more carrying capacity at ,marginally slower speed. (the 20 to 1 ratio I am going off memory here) the thinking is that it is not as important if freight moves as fast as people,  personally would prefer a vee bottom, even at 45 degrees, give it that strength in the. Maybe a larger proa with a 14 to 1 ratio might make more economic sense, in terms of economic return vs investment. Of course this is subjective opinion. Maybe a wider hull that travels at only 9 or 10 knots but carry more may make more dollars. Going slower means fewer trips per year, however each trip could carry more.  Obviously you have your own way, you may well be right, it so good luck to you

SeaGul

Super Anarchist
Oslo Norway
The price 30K or 6K isnt the problem - the problem is it is very few people out there that would take on a project like that - so if you can find any - just give it away if the collect it to no cost of yours. (or maybe deliver it for free  next 2-3 states) - the best to hope for is that someone finishes it.  I didnt find any pics - but maybe another idea is to redesign it - see if some of the parts can be used for other things or transformed to cats or tris. About buying an ad - thist post generates more trafikk than most others - it seems - som its good anyway for the forum. 

Latest posts