Orma 60s

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
With so many built, where are they now?

I know about the Artemis test mule, ex BP4 and whatever vodaphone was also groupama 2 was for sale but haven't heard anything recently. Didn't one break in half as well?

Last edited by a moderator:

Corley

There are still quite a few around in various places for example the ORMA 60 Sopra is available for charter. I think Foncia is still hanging in the shed at the Submarine base in Lorient. There are quite a few boats scattered around. The ORMA 60 Brossard broke in half and its remains are still visible on Google Earth in Oman. And the former Sodebo ORMA was used as a parts bin for the new Prince de Bretagne Maxi donating its beams, rig and foils to the otherwise new boat. If you search on ORMA in Yachtworld you will see quite a few boats are still around and up for sale. A performance bargain if you can handle the high cost of ownership.

The full history of the ORMA boats is excellently tracked on this website: http://www.histoired...MA/Sommaire.htm

(some pages in English, but better if you read French or use google translate)

Their list covers all 60-footers, some were predecessors to the ORMA class, so not technically ORMAs.

To summarize:

- 5 have been lengthened/shortened to new class size

- 16 are still sailing at 60ft size (9 private owners, 6 charter, 1 racing)

- 4 are stocked ashore (mostly for sale)

- 10 are destroyed/abandoned at sea

- 4 are fate unclear

Here's a detailed status based on that site (and what I know):

(1) Lengthened/shortened to new class size

*Lengthened:

- Prince de Bretagne II (ex-Sodebo, VPLP 2002): lengthened to 80ft in 2012, still racing

- Gitana XI (ex-Belgacom, VPLP 2001): lengthened to 77ft in 2009, still racing

- Tritium (ex-Bonduelle, VPLP 1999): purchased by John Sangmeister in 2012 after being lengthened to 72ft by Artemis for AC wing testing

*Shortened:

- Laiterie de Saint-Malo (ex-Laiterie Mont St Michel, Irens 1987): shortened to Multi 50 in 2006, for sale?

- Fujicolor (Irens 1987): center hull re-used to make a Multi 50 for Anne Caseneuve in 2002

(2) Still navigating at 60ft: racing/cruising/charter

*Private owners (2000 generation):

- Team Australia (ex-Bayer Cropscience/Banque Populaire IV, Irens 2002): doing great in Australia :)

- Vodaphone (ex-Geant, VPLP 2002): doing equally well in NZ :)

- Libertad (Plessis 2006 cat): home built (under-funded), has sailed a bit but status unclear

*Private owners (1990s generation):

- Loereal (ex-Waterworld, VPLP 1994): sailing US West Coast

- Lakota (ex-Pierre 1er, VPLP 1990): purchased in 2011 in Sweden, currently lying La Rochelle

- Name unknown (ex-RMO/Primagaz, VPLP 1990): supposedly purchased in bankruptcy court by an American in 2011

*Private owners (oldies):

- Samsung (ex-Spirit of Apricot, Noble 1988): lying Scandinavia, limited sailing

- Ocean 3 (ex-Fleury Michon IX, Irens 1988): new owner since 2011?

- Interroll (ex-33 Export, Ollier 1984 cat): pics sailing in 2009

*Charter:

- Emotion (ex-Sopra, Lombard 2002): available for day-charter in France

- Sensations (ex-Foncia, VPLP 2001): available for day-charter in France

- HiQ (ex-Groupama, VPLP 1998): available for day-charter in Sweden since ~2012 (owner sold Lakota and bought this as replacement)

- Atheos (ex-Biscuiterie La Trinitaine, Irens 1998): available for day-charter in France since 2011

- Name unknown (ex-Harris Wilson, Joubert 1994 cat): charter cat since late 1990s, current status unclear

- HMI (ex-Fujicolor II, Irens 1990): limited charter/sailing in Germany since 2008?

*Racing:

- Defi Cancale (ex-Elf Acquitaine III, Ollier 1988): participated in Transat Quebec Saint-Malo 2012

(3) Stocked ashore

- Groupama 2 (VPLP 2004): for sale

- Mediatis (Aquitaine Design 2003 cat): for sale

- Region Haute Normandie (Irens 1994): for sale, after being re-built (unfinished) for a Thailand-based charter owner, following many years as a wreck ashore after 1999 capsize in Jacques Vabre

- Eure et Loire (ex-Banque Populaire, Irens 1994): still belongs to Francis Joyon, appears unwilling to sell it

(4) Destroyed/sunk

*2000 generation

- Orange (ex-Banque Populaire III, Lombard 2001): capsized and abandoned during 2006 Route du Rhum

- Atheos (ex-Gitana X, Ollier 2001): purchased for charter purposes in 2009, but broke-up at sea and lays in pieces ashore (hull/floats/mast, no beams)

- Brossard (ex-Sergio Tacchini, Irens 2001): Wrecked in 2009 in Oman. Foul play highly suspected (insurance fraud?).

- TIM (ex-FILA, VPLP 2001): capsized and abandoned during 2005 Jacques Vabre

- Banque Populaire II (Lombard 2000): capsized and abandoned during 2000 C1Star

- FujiFilm (Irens 2000): broke-up and abandoned during 2002 Route du Rhum

*1990 generation

- Orange Project (ex-Broceliande, VPLP 1997): capsized and destroyed during 2005 Jacques Vabre

- Fleury Michon XI (VPLP 1992): broke-up and destroyed during 1993 racing. Floats re-used for Broceliande.

*Oldies:

- Hitachi (VPLP 1988): capsized and abandoned during 1989 Lorient-St Barth-Lorient

- Steinlager (Williams 1987): capsized, unclear if recovered?

(5) Fate unclear

- Dupon Duran III (Lombard 1994 cat): last for sale in 2004

- Sebago (Thompson 1988): unclear if navigating since ~1999

- Larus Roc (ex-Paragon, Humprey/Thompson 1985): unclear if navigating since 2005

- Gryllos (ex-Lejaby Rasurel 2, Lombard 1985 cat): status unclear but was sailing as a cruiser in 2002

Corley

The original Adrian Thompson designed Paragon still exists and is called Titi Nui (big tits, lol) these days and cruises in the Bay of Islands, NZ it's quite detuned with a fixed rig and sits low on her lines due to cruising gear weight. Larus Roc was a sister ship to Paragon apparently (Paragon Mk2).

It's sold but the listing for Larus Roc is still available on the Multihull Company website:

http://www.multihull..._MKII/Larus_Roc

a couple of years ago there was 1 for sale up round denmark for about us$250k

http://www.boatshop2...-orma-60/285605

http://www.yachtworl.../Ostsee/Germany

Yes, the listings are for HMI (ex-Fujicolor II, Irens 1990). Great boat, upgraded over the years under Loick Peyron, since well-maintained by German charter owners, upgraded engine, etc.

One issue for potential racer-cruising use is a very large chord wingmast (even by ORMA standards). Otherwise, one of the nicer ORMA options available for potential buyers...

Note: the video is a different boat - as far as I can tell it's Nokia/Ocean 3 (ex-Fleury Michon IX, Irens 1988). Very nice but nothing close to as modern as HMI/Fuji II. Older design with relatively low-volume floats.

Speng

Super Anarchist
Cincinnati, OH
Best one out there is Groupama II, pretty much the fastest ORMA ever made. Team Oz (ex BPIV) was a really successful ocean racer as was Gitana XI (sadly - as it was the only Irens of it's generation left - stretched) although to be fair they won a lot of races vs Groupama II because old Franck could keep it right side up in the ocean...

Also I'm not sure if LoeReal was ever really an ORMA as I believe it was built specifically for the movie (somebody made a killing there) so was never raced on the circuit.

Ah the good old days...

Speng, pretty sure LoeReal was an altered ORMA, not built for the film - I think either a sister to, or maybe the original Florence Arthaud tri, the beautifully (feminine) painted one, Group Pierre Premier.

Speng, pretty sure LoeReal was an altered ORMA, not built for the film - I think either a sister to, or maybe the original Florence Arthaud tri, the beautifully (feminine) painted one, Group Pierre Premier.
Partly correct -- LoeReal was one of two purpose-built trimarans for Waterworld film (one had working sailplan, the other a daft sci-fi windmill rig). Both the movie trimarans were built on same plans as Group Pierre 1er, so near-sisterships to that one, which I guess does make them 'altered ORMAs', although they never raced in the class. I think of the 2 movie tris, LoeReal was the sailing version, while the windmill version is now ashore on display somewhere in the US (at the studios? I once saw a photo).

Group Pierre 1er lived on as Steve Fossett's Lakota, and later as charter boat in Sweden, now La Rochelle.

eric e

Super Anarchist
nz.akl
^

apparently on an artificial lakelagoon at universal studios florida

833px-Waterworld_trimaran.jpg

http://www.pdracer.c...ter-world-race/

Fuller

Australia
The full history of the ORMA boats is excellently tracked on this website: http://www.histoired...MA/Sommaire.htm

Their list covers all 60-footers, some were predecessors to the ORMA class, so not technically ORMAs.

To summarize:

- 4 are fate unclear

*Lengthened:

- Prince de Bretagne II (ex-Sodebo, VPLP 2002): lengthened to 80ft in 2012, still racing

- Tritium (ex-Bonduelle, VPLP 1999): purchased by John Sangmeister in 2012 after being lengthened to 72ft by Artemis for AC wing testing

*Shortened:

- Laiterie de Saint-Malo (ex-Laiterie Mont St Michel, Irens 1987): shortened to Multi 50 in 2006, for sale?

- Fujicolor (Irens 1987): center hull re-used to make a Multi 50 for Anne Caseneuve in 2002

- Team Australia (ex-Bayer Cropscience/Banque Populaire IV, Irens 2002): doing great in Australia :)

- Libertad (Plessis 2006 cat): home built (under-funded), has sailed a bit but status unclear

- Lakota (ex-Pierre 1er, VPLP 1990): purchased in 2011 in Sweden, currently lying La Rochelle

- Name unknown (ex-RMO/Primagaz, VPLP 1990): supposedly purchased in bankruptcy court by an American in 2011

- Samsung (ex-Spirit of Apricot, Noble 1988): lying Scandinavia, limited sailing

*Charter:

- HiQ (ex-Groupama, VPLP 1998): available for day-charter in Sweden since ~2012 (owner sold Lakota and bought this as replacement)

- Atheos (ex-Biscuiterie La Trinitaine, Irens 1998): available for day-charter in France since 2011

- Name unknown (ex-Harris Wilson, Joubert 1994 cat): charter cat since late 1990s, current status unclear

- HMI (ex-Fujicolor II, Irens 1990): limited charter/sailing in Germany since 2008?

*Racing:

- Defi Cancale (ex-Elf Acquitaine III, Ollier 1988): participated in Transat Quebec Saint-Malo 2012

(3) Stocked ashore

- Region Haute Normandie (Irens 1994): for sale, after being re-built (unfinished) for a Thailand-based charter owner, following many years as a wreck ashore after 1999 capsize in Jacques Vabre

- Eure et Loire (ex-Banque Populaire, Irens 1994): still belongs to Francis Joyon, appears unwilling to sell it

(4) Destroyed/sunk

*2000 generation

- Orange (ex-Banque Populaire III, Lombard 2001): capsized and abandoned during 2006 Route du Rhum

- Atheos (ex-Gitana X, Ollier 2001): purchased for charter purposes in 2009, but broke-up at sea and lays in pieces ashore (hull/floats/mast, no beams)

- Brossard (ex-Sergio Tacchini, Irens 2001): Wrecked in 2009 in Oman. Foul play highly suspected (insurance fraud?).

*1990 generation

- Orange Project (ex-Broceliande, VPLP 1997): capsized and destroyed during 2005 Jacques Vabre

- Fleury Michon XI (VPLP 1992): broke-up and destroyed during 1993 racing. Floats re-used for Broceliande.

*Oldies:

- Hitachi (VPLP 1988): capsized and abandoned during 1989 Lorient-St Barth-Lorient

(5) Fate unclear

- Larus Roc (ex-Paragon, Humprey/Thompson 1985): unclear if navigating since 2005

- Gryllos (ex-Lejaby Rasurel 2, Lombard 1985 cat): status unclear but was sailing as a cruiser in 2002
Thanks for that!!

Partly correct -- LoeReal was one of two purpose-built trimarans for Waterworld film (one had working sailplan, the other a daft sci-fi windmill rig). Both the movie trimarans were built on same plans as Group Pierre 1er, so near-sisterships to that one, which I guess does make them 'altered ORMAs', although they never raced in the class. I think of the 2 movie tris, LoeReal was the sailing version, while the windmill version is now ashore on display somewhere in the US (at the studios? I once saw a photo).

Group Pierre 1er lived on as Steve Fossett's Lakota, and later as charter boat in Sweden, now La Rochelle.
Thanks Galacticair - sounds far more precise than my guesses.

Bill Gibbs

Anarchist

I'm pretty sure its the other way around. The sailing 60' tri was used at Universal studios, the beams chopped to ship to Florida. Being converted into a cruiser by the guy who bought the pieces in Florida.

Loe Real was the sound stage boat with no internal structure. The hulls were popped form the same ORMA 60 molds as Florence's boat. Loe Enloe spent years and lots of money turning her into a functional sailboat. I think her beam is less than 60', 45'?

What about listing Hydraplaneur as the ORMA 60 catamaran?

I'm pretty sure its the other way around. The sailing 60' tri was used at Universal studios, the beams chopped to ship to Florida. Being converted into a cruiser by the guy who bought the pieces in Florida.

Loe Real was the sound stage boat with no internal structure. The hulls were popped form the same ORMA 60 molds as Florence's boat. Loe Enloe spent years and lots of money turning her into a functional sailboat. I think her beam is less than 60', 45'?

What about listing Hydraplaneur as the ORMA 60 catamaran?
Thanks a lot - interesting history about Loe Real! Didn't know too much about the two waterworld boats. Still find it unbelievable they'd build two boats for a movie and then chuck them... What's a sound stage boat by the way?

Beam of 45-50ft sounds about right for Loe Real, Lakota/Pierre 1er is exactly 50ft (I measured it last summer).

Hydraplanneur is in my list above, under the "Mediatis" name (stocked ashore, for sale).

??????????

To summarize:

- 4 are fate unclear

*Lengthened:

*Shortened:

*Charter:

*Racing:

(3) Stocked ashore

(4) Destroyed/sunk

*2000 generation

*1990 generation

*Oldies:

(5) Fate unclear

"10 are destroyed/abandoned at sea"

10 out of 39. Thats an attritcian rate of just over 25%. A bit high isn't it?

"10 are destroyed/abandoned at sea"

10 out of 39. Thats an attritcian rate of just over 25%. A bit high isn't it?
Actually I was surprised looking at these numbers that the attrition rate was so low. Just look at all the ORMA races in the 2000s, with their very high capsize & structural failure rates:

- Route du Rhum 2002: 3 boats finished out of 18, including 5 capsizes, and 2 major structural failures

- Jacques Vabre 2005: 4 finished out of 10, including 3 capsizes and 2 major structural failures

It's surprising how many of the boats were recovered/rebuilt despite these incidents. In the end, the attrition rate on '2000' generation ORMAs is 40% (6 boats destroyed/abandoned out of 15, incl. 1999 Bonduelle in the count, excl. 2006 Libertad which never raced). It's high, but for a class that's effectively 'dead' it's lower than one might expect. A surprising number still live on as charter boats, in private hands, or for sale.

Nigel Irens is supposed to have said about Enza that ocean racing multihulls were never supposed to be monuments (he was surprised Enza lasted 20 years). The 2000 generation of formula 1 trimarans were certainly never built to last very long - just to win 1-2 Route du Rhums... Singlehanded races are an extreme high stakes game.