Our refreshed 1D35 comes out to play.

RobbieB

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
Everyone is a critic here.  Unless it's a professionally shot video of TP52 Quantum racing there's going to be stones cast.  People even find something to criticize about the pro's too.

It's always gutsy and entertaining to post your sailing vid's!  

Looked like a great day of sailing.

Great on completing the project. Too many old  worn out "race" boats in up on jack stands in junk yards where delusional old "racers"claim they are rebuilding a classic race boat where the boats spend many many years  on stands getting a "faired race bottom". If they do hit the water every once in a while they rarely sail. 

ctutmark

Super Anarchist
PNW
So the guy on the stbd cabintop winch appears to be cranking on the foreguy, that seems very strange. Having spent quite a bit of time on 1D35s the easiest answer would be the foreguy is led backwards through the ratchet block. Should never need to put a 2:1 foreguy on a winch.

Movable Ballast

Anarchist
San Diego
We are applying for a modified rating this year. 

Using the old spinnaker pole for a sprit at 30% "J" extension, to change to a new "J" of 1.3 * 15.6 = 20.3. 

that will allow me to fly the old miter cut "180% " Drifter off of it downwind... 

PHRF committee is reviewing, last year told me that would be 9 sec... 
you'll snap an unsupported spin pole like a twig. Give it a whirl if you must but you heard it here first... 

LionessRacing

Super Anarchist
Myrtle Beach,
you'll snap an unsupported spin pole like a twig. Give it a whirl if you must but you heard it here first... 
"Drifter" is the clue, for < <10kts TWS. 15.5 ' pole extended 1/3 past forestay. 

This pole is thicker wall than modern extrusions, AFAIK it's from 1962. 

Will add a bobstay the next time we haul out, to push a proper sprit (SELDEN?) against if this works well enough.  

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
ratings stuff aside, good to see you out and will be fun to race against you this year.

cheers

Kahoots.

RATM

Anarchist
A lot of really bad habits in the video and not just the pit.  But he did stand out.  Get your sailmaker to come out ostensibly to check the sails and have him put people in the right positions to do their positions.  The pole bouncing up and down is really bad and could kill someone on a bigger boat.  The guy sitting against the bulkhead and grinding with his left arm doing about 45 degs with each crank is ridiculous.  Nothing that can't be fixed easily and some folks just don't know better.  With the right attitude and desire, easily fixed.  
Why didn't you use lazy sheets and guys? The boat was designed for those and the best sailed ones use them. 

proOC

Anarchist
1639.jpg

Good friends relayed some soft spots on the deck and put a sprit on her last year.  Wish I had a newer pick.  Also renamed it Entourage II.

Great boat and will be interesting to see how they do this year after they have sorted out what the new dimensions and sail arrangement can do for them.  Makes it a more effective racer for the Race to Mackinac and other distance stuff.  Not sure the hit they take on any ratings with the new look.

Tarnish

Chicago
I would like to hear from the original poster or the folks from Entourage about their selection of the 1D 35 platform over other options. I have seen the work done on Entourage and it looks like a new boat. Were there other options considered? What features / specs made the 1D35 the best option for such a large investment? 

proOC

Anarchist
I would like to hear from the original poster or the folks from Entourage about their selection of the 1D 35 platform over other options. I have seen the work done on Entourage and it looks like a new boat. Were there other options considered? What features / specs made the 1D35 the best option for such a large investment? 
I am going to reach out to the owner.  If he isn't caught at the peak of Vail this holiday season I might get a response before spring.

LionessRacing

Super Anarchist
Myrtle Beach,
corrected...
Hardly, people invest their money where they choose, sometimes for financial gain, other times for psychic. "Throwing it away" is a canard, judging behavior that you have no insight on. Perhaps the sum was trivial to the individual, or the cause so important as to be worthy in their eyes.

Who are you to criticize? 

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
Hardly, people invest their money where they choose, sometimes for financial gain, other times for psychic. "Throwing it away" is a canard, judging behavior that you have no insight on. Perhaps the sum was trivial to the individual, or the cause so important as to be worthy in their eyes.

I threw a lot of money at my old Jeanneau. Was it worth it? fuck yeah as I enjoyed using the boat with the upgrades and enjoyed the complements when people noted how well equipped it was. I kind of even get a kick out of seeing how the new owners enjoy some of the upgrades (like the watermaker) as I often walk past the boat in the marina.

Eventually I will return to boat ownership and I will want to upgrade and improve it.

I will still think of it as throwing money at it and certainly not refer to it as "investing in". 

Criticising no, just being realistic.  

Edit...

I wrote "throw at" which is very different to "throw away" 

Last edited by a moderator:

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North

Money used for sailboats is not an investment.

It's an expenditure.