Outhaul Sheave Re-Do

I just redid my outhaul, wondering what to do about the sheave box. I have this stock endcap with a sheave built in, but the sheave is old and worn. Doesn't seem like replacing that sheave in the endcap would be easy ( I tried to hammer out the pin, it's fused solid). I doubt it's been touched since the 80s. 

I am thinking about doing away with the endcap and bolting on a sheave box (something like the below). Since it's at the end of the boom I could actually get solid bolts on it pretty easily. Any issues with this plan? It seems I would be sacrificing some strength / stiffness at the end of the boom without the end cap, is it enough to worry about?

The boat is a 24' sportboat (wabbit)

image.png

IMG-0047.JPG

IMG-0048.JPG

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
How close to the end of the boom is the mainsail clew? That two hole unit is for very small wire, 1/8" max, and low load (under hi loads they bend) The 3 hole fitting looks OK, but how are you going to mount it? I would try to re-use the original boom end cap, drill out the pin

Ok, any tips on removing this sheave? It seems to be essentially fused in - I suppose drilling it out is an option. It does spin somewhat so I may just live with it for a while and kick the can down the road

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Does the sheave pin have any flare on either end? If it is straight (no flare) than one end of the pin is knurled. Those 'knurls' grip the aluminum tabs when the pin is pounded in. See if you can see them. And then you have many yrs of aluminum corrosion locking the pin in place. Isn't that a Ballenger spar??

I just redid my outhaul, wondering what to do about the sheave box. I have this stock endcap with a sheave built in, but the sheave is old and worn. Doesn't seem like replacing that sheave in the endcap would be easy ( I tried to hammer out the pin, it's fused solid). I doubt it's been touched since the 80s. 

I am thinking about doing away with the endcap and bolting on a sheave box (something like the below). Since it's at the end of the boom I could actually get solid bolts on it pretty easily. Any issues with this plan? It seems I would be sacrificing some strength / stiffness at the end of the boom without the end cap, is it enough to worry about?

The boat is a 24' sportboat (wabbit)

View attachment 423844
i have the 4 hole one on the end of my 10' boom,  118sqft loose footed main,  clew is attached to the boom with velcro and i'm using i think either 3mm-4mm  robeline dyneema core control line at that end of the internal cascade outhaul..       works great for me

i didn't install it, came that way when I bought the boat...the flanges were , I guess, hammered over to match the curve of the boom..   I'm not touching it until it breaks..

Last edited by a moderator: