Overheard on the water.... stories welcome

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
It is easy to forget how well the human voice carries on the water.

My brother had a tempestuous summer with his soon to be wife while racing GP14s. This was at a time when the f bomb  word was shocking.

But move on five decades...

This morning I was out rowing the Hyland Trout https://heylandmarine.com/trout-rowing-boat/

I am using 9 foot sweeps and I have lost a stone in two weeks - rowing for two hours every day plus the cabbage and black coffee diet - since you did not ask.

This  morning was wonderfully still as I rowed the two miles from waldringfirled to methersgate quay against the tide.

I could hear voices above the sound of the sculls but when I got the to the quay I stopped rowing and could then hear  an angry woman vituperating across the limpid water. It was emanating from a 30 foot moodieish boat

"the thing you do not understand", she said.

"Is that I hate this cramped dirty boat on this horrible estuary at low tide."

I felt I should start rowing again.

A few moments later I rested on my oars.

"all you want to do," she said still with vigour and poiwer in her voice, " is sit down, put your feet up and read the newspaper"

she then added with real bitterness ..... "ad nauseum"

I rowed some mre, her voice coming at me. I rested again

"are you not grateful for all the help I give you... are you not.  Then say so"

Finally the man's voice.

"Thank you....for all the help".

The whole thing quite put me off my stroke.

I would welcome stories of bon mot eavesdropped over the water

Dylan

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
We were anchored off and rowing into a favourite, fairly remote, beach - a frequent cruising destination when our kids were small. There was an open air wedding under way - bride and groom and wedding party all dressed up, standing on the sand - and a piper piping... My eight year-old son said (in one of those quiet pauses that kids unerringly find when they speak loudly) "Maybe if he wasn't squeezing that poor thing so hard, it wouldn't scream like that!". A ripple of laughter ensued in the bridal party and we headed for the opposite end of the beach.

I love it when people are having a conversation over the noise of their tenders outboard motor....the engine seems to amplify and carry the voices and like it or not you get to hear some things you’d probably rather not.

gkny

It is easy to forget how well the human voice carries on the water.

My brother had a tempestuous summer with his soon to be wife while racing GP14s. This was at a time when the f bomb  word was shocking.

But move on five decades...

This morning I was out rowing the Hyland Trout https://heylandmarine.com/trout-rowing-boat/

I am using 9 foot sweeps and I have lost a stone in two weeks - rowing for two hours every day plus the cabbage and black coffee diet - since you did not ask.

This  morning was wonderfully still as I rowed the two miles from waldringfirled to methersgate quay against the tide.

I could hear voices above the sound of the sculls but when I got the to the quay I stopped rowing and could then hear  an angry woman vituperating across the limpid water. It was emanating from a 30 foot moodieish boat

"the thing you do not understand", she said.

"Is that I hate this cramped dirty boat on this horrible estuary at low tide."

I felt I should start rowing again.

A few moments later I rested on my oars.

"all you want to do," she said still with vigour and poiwer in her voice, " is sit down, put your feet up and read the newspaper"

she then added with real bitterness ..... "ad nauseum"

I rowed some mre, her voice coming at me. I rested again

"are you not grateful for all the help I give you... are you not.  Then say so"

Finally the man's voice.

"Thank you....for all the help".

The whole thing quite put me off my stroke.

I would welcome stories of bon mot eavesdropped over the water

Dylan
This is the problem with eavesdropping.  We don't know if he looked up from the paper when he thanked her or just kept his head down.

Piriapolis, Uruguay , some years ago.

Big NZ flagged cat, NZ skipper with a Brazilian wife,  in a slip maybe three or four along from us.

About 1100 - she  went on for quite a bit - I don't think he got a word in - gist of it was 'how do you expect me to live on a boat where the washing machine doesn't work!!!'

He appeared on my boat soon thereafter and spent the rest of the day, in the cockpit, drinking beer.

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
Piriapolis, Uruguay , some years ago.

Big NZ flagged cat, NZ skipper with a Brazilian wife,  in a slip maybe three or four along from us.

About 1100 - she  went on for quite a bit - I don't think he got a word in - gist of it was 'how do you expect me to live on a boat where the washing machine doesn't work!!!'

He appeared on my boat soon thereafter and spent the rest of the day, in the cockpit, drinking beer.
whose beer?

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
@dylan winter This is a wonderful story and the telling is excellent. I expect nothing less from a man of your background and experience.

I wish I had something similar to share but my culture is simply too different. First, it's impossible to hear anything over the drone of outboards, Sea-Doo's and generators. Second, no one in my country complains or argues with that level of class anymore. It's all "F- you! Well, F- you back!" and so on.

nota

Anarchist
well o a calm night a heated argument was heard

who was correct on the bombs and atomic theory oppie or the h-bomb guy teller that went on a while and several of us learn something

on an other occasion ALSO A CALM NIGHT

O NO YOU WON'T

YES I WILL

REPEATED SEVERAL TIMES

COMING FROM THE HINCKLEY 40 ANCHORED NEAR US

FOLLOWED BY A SPLASH

HE DID IT as the next morning's light saw her still clinging to the anchor line

[threw the drunk g/f over the side ]

brendong

Anchoring seems to be a great catalyst for terse words especially when there's only 2 on board ..........My wife and I worked out a series of hand signals and that seemed to work for us. And no the bird wasn't one of the signals

Russell Brown

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend WA
I had really weird boats for a large part of my life and the comments weren't always nice. Some people were going by in a loud dinghy at night and a woman said: I always wanted to be different..., but not like that!

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
I had really weird boats for a large part of my life and the comments weren't always nice. Some people were going by in a loud dinghy at night and a woman said: I always wanted to be different..., but not like that!
how weird?

snaps pretty please

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
I've posted this before but think of the incident every spring working in the boatyard. There are always new owners with shiny new boats and little experience. For that reason, I keep the camera on deck as I work. 

This couple came into the docks off the public landing very slowly. She was standing on the foredeck-bench with the bow line, ready to leap onto the dock. 

He was operating his brand new toy with extreme caution, motoring in slowly. That turned out to be too much caution as he goosed the throttle two yards short of the dock. 

She went ass over teakettle into the (wait for it),...Goose River. 

This was a tight lipped NE couple. She made her shameful/wade past other boaters all the way to the ramp to clamber up on the dock, and then completed her loop in a fast - dripping stroll back down the docks to her husband, who was now tied up on the dock. 

I couldn't hear the strained hissing from my deck but the body language told all. 

New boat owners crop (1 of 1).jpg

I started out in a GP14 on Chelmarsh reservoir in the English Midlands. The Wednesday evening race often ended in a drifting match. You could hear every word spat out under the breath between squabbling couples the length of the water. And this was in the early days before the clubhouse was built. Nowhere to hide when they came ashore!
But that was the 60s, I can barely remember what I ate for dinner last night. 

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
I've posted this before but think of the incident every spring working in the boatyard. There are always new owners with shiny new boats and little experience. For that reason, I keep the camera on deck as I work. 

This couple came into the docks off the public landing very slowly. She was standing on the foredeck-bench with the bow line, ready to leap onto the dock. 

He was operating his brand new toy with extreme caution, motoring in slowly. That turned out to be too much caution as he goosed the throttle two yards short of the dock. 

She went ass over teakettle into the (wait for it),...Goose River. 

This was a tight lipped NE couple. She made her shameful/wade past other boaters all the way to the ramp to clamber up on the dock, and then completed her loop in a fast - dripping stroll back down the docks to her husband, who was now tied up on the dock. 

I couldn't hear the strained hissing from my deck but the body language told all. 

View attachment 511326

Tom, I can't decide if you are a genius or just cruel. ;)

Latest posts