Overlooked Maintenance: Ahh Sh*t factors

LionessRacing

Super Anarchist
Myrtle Beach,
Having the fun of a diesel fuel tank that recently picked up quite a bit of water from what appears to be a 20+ yr old deck plate O-ring and intense rains. Retrospectively this is something that should have been replaced a while back, they are even in stock at WestMarine. 

What suggestions on commonly overlooked maintenance items? 

I'll put these out: 

• Water level in batteries
  • Charger fuses, and all battery connections
  • Oil level in engine and transmission
  • Coolant level in engine and overflow
  • Tape on rigging cotter pins 
  • Lifeline and Standing Rigging corrosion check

Sunset2

My recent AH Sh*t moment was experienced by my son on a short cruise. The head completely stopped up and he assumed something inappropriate had been flushed.

The bottom line was that the hose were so calcified that the opening in the 1 1/2 inch hose was down to about 3/4 inch. 

So replace all of the head hoses every ten years.

Gabe_nyc

Bayside
This was the main sheet attachment to the traveler on my first boat (28-ft).

The boom-side shackle looked similar.

It was a low price, quick purchase w no survey and I had been sailing along happily for a few weeks when I finally noticed this :)-)

Everything else was ok, I loved the boat and it was a good purchase, but this could have ruined my day in all sorts of bad ways ...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
Parts of the steering system, hidden behind all the shit that's never been removed from the bottom of the big locker.

silent bob

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
Having the fun of a diesel fuel tank that recently picked up quite a bit of water from what appears to be a 20+ yr old deck plate O-ring and intense rains. Retrospectively this is something that should have been replaced a while back, they are even in stock at WestMarine. 

I'll put these out: 

Don’t forget to change the filters on your spark plugs!  

CBD596D6-95BD-4FEC-8565-12D525D55234.png

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker

I'll put these out: 

crimped wire connections

Last edited by a moderator:
Everytime I start our aux I check the raw water, coolant oil, fuel level and racors.  It's a simple two minute routine that's a hold over from being a marine engineer.  Never push go without the bare minimum.  Also makes you look at some other stuff in the process.  One thing that got buy us with the convenience sail stuff is a good once over that you get flaking and stowing. The jib on the furler sun cover stitches were toast should have caught bit sooner but out on the ten ft bowsprit it looked fine.  Also cycling thru hull valves is some we should do alot more but rarely do.  If you are actively using your boat you tend to be alot better at catching stuff.  The worse damage we have had is sitting bat the dock through shitty winter storms and something chaffing etc.

ghost37

Boston
My recent AH Sh*t moment was experienced by my son on a short cruise. The head completely stopped up and he assumed something inappropriate had been flushed.

The bottom line was that the hose were so calcified that the opening in the 1 1/2 inch hose was down to about 3/4 inch. 

Would recommend soaking hoses and head discharge fittings in white vinegar for a few hours. We liveaboard and do this every few years. Head hoses are expensive so keen to get as much life out of them as possible.