Overlooked Maintenance: Ahh Sh*t factors

alanfw

Hervey Bay
Halyard redirection saddle (used when converting hanked headsail to roller furled headsail - see picture) may need to be inspected! The previous owners of the yacht I just bought had installed a brand new dyneema headsail halyard. On my most recent sail, the halyard failed. So yesterday I went up top to fix the problem. It seems at some stage the halyard had been wire. The wire had worn a groove right through the lower part of the saddle, turning it into a perfect v-jammer that cut through the new halyard sheath and also prevented the halyard from running up (but still allowed it to run down). Why the hell would someone replace the halyard without fixing this???

Roller Furler Masthead fitting.jpg

Ensuring halyards aren't (too) twisted up inside the mast.  They tend to let everybody know they're twisted in the middle of complex spin maneuvers when you'd really like the spin and headsail halyards and topping lift and butt end of the pole to move freely.  

Bonus:  Sheeves below the masthead (like our topping lift, which is 18" down) may not be standardized and installed square.  Our aftermarket fitment was in a hole that looked like it was cut with a jacknife (a rhomboid shape) and the block with a too-small sheeve was split.  Oh yeah, that'll stop a VPC topping lift from moving... Our foredeck crew squared the hole with a file but we're keeping our eye on the sheeve/block.