Packrats Anonymous

Ventucky Red

Super Anarchist
We make it a point to pick a closet or two a year; with the exception of hers, go through them and clean them out. Our motto is; "hasn't been touched in a year, it goes.." Pretty soon I will be going after the shed in the back yard and the loft in the garage. There are things in there we haven't touched in years and doubt I ever will again..

We don't waste our time with a yard sale or Craigs List, it is either a Thrift Shop, or on the curb with a Free sign attaced to it - you would be suprised of some of the crap people will take for free..

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
My dad grew up during the depression. He has a similar mentality of not throwing anything out.

I think everyone who came of age in the depression had that attitude.

It was so bad that it scarred an entire generation for life.

Do you suppose there are still people who can darn socks?

Glenn McCarthy

Super Anarchist
Elmhurst, IL
Just did a job, needed 3 panels of 6" insulation, it looks like a full bag leftover tied up tight. Gave serious thought of pitching it. Nope, found a spot on the garage. Lord help me.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
I had so many small pieces of Ebony, Rosewood, Lignum Vitae, figured Maple, Etc. that even the guy who turns pens as a hobby/side business threw his hands up and said "It would take me 2 life times to use all this up! Doesn't anyone else want any of it?!"
Sure there was a metric shit ton of pieces that could be used for cabinet pulls and little inlay details.... But trying to make even a little ring box out of some of the pieces would require a jeweler's machine shop....
I did give a lot of it to an architectural model maker who was very talented at making miniature to scale furniture bits....
But the ball bearings, and parts for 1920s machines that had long since gone away were soooooo hard to get rid of.
I had two cigar boxes full of rusty screws and bolts that my grandfather had saved before my father was born.
When I see a dead BIC pen, I salvage the spring from inside.
I'm baddly addicted to useless crap. I have worn out lawn mower belts that I keep in case I bust a belt, and it's a Sunday, so I can keep mowing until I get a new one on Tuesday. (It never happens on a Monday).
I have old planner knives that I plan to make into marking knives some day.... :rolleyes:

chester

Super Anarchist
I think everyone who came of age in the depression had that attitude.

It was so bad that it scarred an entire generation for life.

Do you suppose there are still people who can darn socks?
an elderly neighbour of ours sewed onion bags into pot scrubbers...they worked reaqlly well.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
My wife's grandmother made her own soap. She was damn near a pioneer though - lived in a soddie on the prairies back then. She would laugh at these survivalist idiots.

The kind of person you really want around after the apocalypse.

Attractive Women.jpeg

Reactions: Mid

ExOmo

Best Anarchist Ever
The Great Void
Started last year cleaning out my shop. Side tracked by the She-Shed I was requested to build when SWMBO saw how my shop was coming together (But she does love her "Birch-Barn)!!!
Got half my shop cleaned and functional now. Other half will be done this summer. Amazing the amount of just sailing odds and ends you collect over 30+ years.
When I moved back here in '89, everything I owned fit in a Mazda B2000. WTF happened???

WL

You just need a bigger car...

bored broker

Anarchist
Just did a job, needed 3 panels of 6" insulation, it looks like a full bag leftover tied up tight. Gave serious thought of pitching it. Nope, found a spot on the garage. Lord help me.
Get one of those big bags that you can vacuum the air out for storing things like bedspreads. Takes up less space and keeps it in better shape. Most of the bags can be reused a few times. I use them for storing all kinds of bulky stuff.

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
All you collectors need to do your heirs a huge favor and keep the truly valuble stuff apart from the rest, and let them know where it is. My wifes extended family kept everything, and also mixed valuables and true heirlooms in with all the broken appliances, old magazines and other worthless junk. As they got older and had to move to care facilities or died, we had to clean up the old family homes. It took months and was emotionaly very difficult. It would have been much easier to just pay a junk removal company to clean the homes out, or just sell them as is, but we couldn't.
My grandmother's house was like this. A Kennedy campaign poster was mixed in with hundreds of other newspapers kept for no reason at all. In all that mess they found original IBM stock purchase paperwork but it could have easily been discarded in one of the many dumpsters but they went through everything.

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
Going through a similar purge now! Got rid of a lot of stuff cluttering the garage, and got money from the scrappers for any metal stuff, and the dump with bulky waste. Sold one big Lista Tool cabinet on Craigslist and another one to go, acquired from my former employer who was scrapping them out. Now to tackle the clothes I haven't worn in decades taking up room in the closets...
Just did the clothes thing last weekend. Fun YC game. Who has the oldest regatta shirt/hat that can still be worn. Bonus if there is a good story.

My mother has bought me a decent Eddy Bauer/Polo/whatever from Marshall fields work shirt or 2 every Christmas since I graduated college. Kid is 24. Gonna start re-gifting all the ones I never wore to him because I have been WFH for the last 10 ish years... The rest go to consignment and or good will. Kept the shorts/jeans/ a couple polos ,my jersey (Hejduk)and a ton of Hawaiian shirts... Wife took over rest of closet... LOL

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
Just did the clothes thing last weekend. Fun YC game. Who has the oldest regatta shirt/hat that can still be worn. Bonus if there is a good story.

Button-down Hawaiin shirt from Boomerang, Clipper Cup, 1984. Haven't worn it in years, might just turn to dust!! :eek: :cry:
Good story?? Cracked a bone in my wrist in the 2nd to last race and had to sit out the final when we won our class. Flew home afterward and never went back to racing for ten years, as I got busy with a new career, married, and children.

Had a Windward Passage T-shirt from before that (79 or 80?), but it HAS turned to dust or been relegated to a dust cloth!!

Last edited:

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
In Vancouver I have been impressed with www.maxsold.com (across Canada too I think). They organize online auction style estate sales. They go through the house, sort everything into lots, take pictures, and post on their site. On a given weekend the winning bidders come and collect their goods. Everything else goes into a dumpster.

Very low stress for heirs and children. House is lcleaned up after a month. Yeah you won't get as much $$ as listing everything of value on Craigslist etc but NOBODY wants your parents dark wood furniture. If it isn't mid-century modern/teak Scandinavian style it is almost worthless. It will save you lots of time.

We got a very huge set of dishes from somebody's home that way. We were cleaning out the kitchen and the auction helper pointed out we missed a few in the dish drying rack... oh something happened rather suddenly didn't it.

Bugsy

Super Anarchist
Canada
We got a very huge set of dishes from somebody's home that way.
It used to be that newly-married couples spent a king's ransom buying twelve place settings of gold-edged china complete with all the silverware (made from real silver). Only to be used on formal occasions.

Now those sets are near-worthless. I expect a few of these will be passed to me in the coming years. I don't know what to do with them and don't want them. I wish my parents and grandparents had used them every day until every last bit was broken. I wish they had used and enjoyed them rather than keeping them pristine.

Remodel

Super Anarchist
None
Started last year cleaning out my shop. Side tracked by the She-Shed I was requested to build when SWMBO saw how my shop was coming together (But she does love her "Birch-Barn)!!!
Got half my shop cleaned and functional now. Other half will be done this summer. Amazing the amount of just sailing odds and ends you collect over 30+ years.
When I moved back here in '89, everything I owned fit in a Mazda B2000. WTF happened???

WL
My sister-in-law, who happens to be a lovely person, has one of these. They call it the Bitch Barn.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
All you collectors need to do your heirs a huge favor and keep the truly valuble stuff apart from the rest, and let them know where it is. My wifes extended family kept everything, and also mixed valuables and true heirlooms in with all the broken appliances, old magazines and other worthless junk. As they got older and had to move to care facilities or died, we had to clean up the old family homes. It took months and was emotionaly very difficult. It would have been much easier to just pay a junk removal company to clean the homes out, or just sell them as is, but we couldn't.
Beware of "throwing out the junk"

I had a 18'x 6' storage unit chock full of the lifetime hoarding of an elderly relative.
Cedar chests, piano's, Edwardian burr walnut tables and 4 peice suits, mirrored wall units and every jar, lamp tablecloth and old tool from the old womans farm collected for 100 years.
Do you know what the auction house wanted?
The depression era furniture made from old kerosine cans and the 1920's mason jars and porridge bags. old meat safes and baskets and sheet music.
I took most of it to the Saturday market and it kept us in groceries for 6 months.