Paywall free news sources of value?

Windward

Super Anarchist
Having a lively debate during the Covid quarantine about USA and world politics, and I've become quite disillusioned with the news sources at my disposal.

CNN and Fox seem more like infotainment/pandering.  CNN is particularly bad as it fails to report anything not helping their agenda.

Aljazeera 

BBC

SailingAnarchy

What are some news outlets that cover both sides of a debate, or just report the goings-on.  Sure, all will have a tilt to their readership to sell adverts, but there have to be some better ones out there somewhere.

Navig8tor

Super Anarchist
Reuter’s, AP, Guardian (would like you to pay but you can still read most) AXIOS Independant, some of the best news about the states is rather ironically from outside the states.

DustyDreamer

Anarchist
Wait, yer thinking that news outlets don't have agendas, universally? As a former journalist, I hate to break it to ya... there is no such thing as objectivity in journalism. Never has been never will be. So pick the flavor you like most but balance it out with other opinons perspectives. 

I read regularly: NY Times, Wapo, The Atlantic, Politico, The Intercept among others. I try to balance it by reading RWNJ sources to the degree they make any sense. Reason is very occasionally a good counter. 

Edit: you'll note I disregarded the paywall thing. Delete your cookies and/or use incognito mode. They are generally easy to bypass.

Last edited by a moderator:

Navig8tor

Super Anarchist
Reason is very occasionally a good counter. 
That’s where you lose the hard right, being spoon fed “reason“ by right wing nut jobs means it’s a skill not often employed by individuals, unless of course it’s a conspiracy theory.

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
I see damn few sources listed who will encourage any of us to give a damn about the children.  The Children!  You know, the children in the basement of the pizza parlor with no basement, victims of a Hillary Clinton-led democRAT child sex ring. 

Doesn't anyone but Q think about the children?  

Mid

Blues Rule
don't forget the mighty google , find a phrase that's some what unique in the limited paywall teaser , toss it into google and find the free source of the same article .

mikewof

mikewof
Best newspaper on Planet Earth in my opinion, soem of the best parts are paywall-free, but there is a paywall for other parts. CSM is as close to bias-free as a news source can get. World class writing and reporting.

https://www.csmonitor.com/

CSM is like the Sunday NY Times used to be in the 1980s and 90s, an absorbing, compelling dense fascination that made a Sunday afternoon in the kitchen with your woman, a couple pumpernickel bagels and some coffee out of the Mr. Coffee on the counter, combine those things, and suddenly regular life felt like a vacation. CSM is as good as that, minus the smell of newsprint and ink, unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gissie

Super Anarchist
That’s where you lose the hard right, being spoon fed “reason“ by right wing nut jobs means it’s a skill not often employed by individuals, unless of course it’s a conspiracy theory.
Says the person that lists the Guardian as unbiased. Fuck I love this place.

frenchie

Super Anarchist
Brooklyn, NY
Wait, yer thinking that news outlets don't have agendas, universally? As a former journalist, I hate to break it to ya... there is no such thing as objectivity in journalism. Never has been never will be. So pick the flavor you like most but balance it out with other opinons perspectives. 

I read regularly: NY Times, Wapo, The Atlantic, Politico, The Intercept among others. I try to balance it by reading RWNJ sources to the degree they make any sense. Reason is very occasionally a good counter. 

Edit: you'll note I disregarded the paywall thing. Delete your cookies and/or use incognito mode. They are generally easy to bypass.

You got a trick for NYTs?  Whatever they're using, it's not cookies.  Incognito doesn't work, either. Adding a period after the .com stopped working, awhile ago...

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
You got a trick for NYTs?  Whatever they're using, it's not cookies.  Incognito doesn't work, either. Adding a period after the .com stopped working, awhile ago...
You can buy a Mon-Fri sub for about five bucks - which gives you online access. 

The Gray Lady regularly infuriates, but the science section on Thurs alone is worth the price 

Latest posts