Pedal power???

bluelaser2

CLE
That Frankenbravo looks like it might be fun.  Probably want that rowing rig moved aft & the rail cut to the minimum track length to get your mass closer to the center of the boat...

Pedal sailing is a thing- it's quite impressive how just a few watts of pedal energy will keep light air attached and flowing and how much higher a boat will point and still get useful forward motion assist from the sail.  I don't think rowing could do it the same way because it requires steady small steering inputs to keep the flow attached. 

TBW

Probably want that rowing rig moved aft & the rail cut to the minimum track length to get your mass closer to the center of the boat...

That's a good Idea.   Looks like I could cut the slider down by about 8.5 inches.  That would make everything fit a lot better.

Something that I do not quite understand. why is rotation of the whole rider-cycle system, without changing the rider's position relative to the machine, changing the muscle groups that are working.
Look at it this way, if you are on a stair stepper or an upright bike, how much downforce are you able to generate at the pedals 1 or 1.5 times your body weight? If you are leg pressing at a recumbent weight machine some can generate 4 times their body weight. Where does that ability to generate 4 times your body weight come from, possibly your glutes?

Aside from aero-dynamics, which is very significant, how are these recumbent kids knocking at the door of 100mph?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FAzcEPMi14

tane

Anarchist
yes, of course: not only is the system tilted, a backrest to press against is added on the recumbent!

bgytr

Super Anarchist
Rocking and sculling are very effective for most small keelboats and require less equipment. One person can move a soling along very nicely with very little effort standing on the rear deck and rocking and sculling. My J70 will move along decently rocking,  sculling is less effective.
If you sync the rudder angle with the roll, you can get a boat moving pretty damn fast.  Especially a light boat with a deep rudder- the rudder acts like a prop blade.  If it's a deep rudder the end is swinging fast through the water.  

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
Steady state power (pedal) is also much easier to trim sails with than an impulse (row) with variable apparent wind 

tane

Anarchist
yes, of course: not only is the system tilted, a backrest to press against is added on the recumbent!
OTOH: the thing with O²max being reached applies here too

& how often/long can anybody leg-press considerably more than his bodyweight?

So while air-resistance of the recumbend is considerably smaller than for the standard cycling position, I guess the continuous power output over anything longer than a few minutes will be the same

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
On 2/9/2022 at 9:09 AM, Only Fools Rush In said:

Thanks for the explanation!

for a sailing dinghy that’s a very effective way of moving.

In the Netherlands, older heavier dinghy often also have the oppertunity of wrikken. That works even better.

Bet you were a sea scout when you were younger :D .
lelievlet_wrikken1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Santanasailor

Charter Member. Scow Mafia
North Louisiana
In our lake, if the water is warm and we are close to the cove we live in, forget, oars, peddling or mechanical auxiliary, grab a bowline, put on a ski vest, jump in and swim.  Far more fun than sitting in the hot sun, trying to row or pedal a large boat.  

(Water warms up enough to swim in late March or early April depending on the weather and stays so through early October, if a fellow or lady has a wetsuit, it’s a year round pursuit. )

Latest posts