Perry Design Reviews...is there a list of all the boats?

sailman

Super Anarchist
Portsmouth, RI
I was curious about a particular boat and wanted to see if it had been reviewed by Mr. Perry. Is there a listing all the boats he has reviewed? I have two of the book reviews, Vol 1 & 4.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Sailman:

I think there is although I don't have it. I do not have a complete collection. Why don't you call Greta at SALING and ask her.

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
Here are all of Bob's reviews in Sailing Magazine starting with the latest. You will have to page throught them and there are 29 pages, but they are here. Cheers.

http://sailingmagazine.net/articles.sec-113-1-perry-on-design.html

Or tell me which boat you seek and I will look through the indexes of the actual six books of his designs that I have here.

(There is a search function on the first page)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Holy cow! I'm a prodiggeeyoos little bugger.

Do you know the story of how I started writing the reviews?

SAILING reviewed one of my boats. It was not a well written review and I called them to complain about it. During the conversation I said, "Hell, even I can write a better review than that!" The editor said, "Oh really, would you like to try?" I said yes.

Now I see that list and I feel really old.

Last edited by a moderator:

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
I love this quote bob, I think you nailed it..... :D

Dear Reader, please grant me my prejudices. If the total criteria for a design is speed, at all cost, let's have 60-foot catamarans or better still radical one way proas. Or, if you are a die-hard monohull fan, an Etchells 22 is a nice way to go. I guess I'm becoming too much of a cruiser, but the Olson 30 appears to be a design of little versatility. We'll see.

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
I was curious about a particular boat and wanted to see if it had been reviewed by Mr. Perry. Is there a listing all the boats he has reviewed? I have two of the book reviews, Vol 1 & 4.
Sailman,

I've got all six books, and I think most of the ones after book six are avail on the web. If you tell me which one, I'll check all six and scan the review if its in one of them...

Crash

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Shaggy:

I think I was wrong on the Olson. I think it is a very versatile boat.

Jon:

I usually set a full day aside to write the reviews but I'd say each review takes me about an hour. I like to let them sit overnight then I re-read them and make adjustments. The biggest problem today is that I have hard time getting actually designer's drawings. I get art department renderings. I want to see what the designer gave the builder. I can get pretty much anything I want if I can reach the designer but often the marketing department makes that difficult.

One of the nice things about writing the reviews is that it has given me the chance to become friends with a lot of designers. Over the years I have had some grief from builders but I c an't recall a pissed off designer.

Jose Carumba

Super Anarchist
Pugetopolis
I have become very disappointed in the lack of space Sailing has allotted to the reviews and the resulting lack of decent profiles and arrangements. I suppose most of this comes from the economics of putting out a magazine these days and the resultant shrinking size. It's a shame.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Jose/ Crasher:

I think they are after a "splashier" display with more color.

Not sure why they went from 4 to 3 but my pay stayed the same.

Maybe you could write them and complain. I would. It's a very tight, family run business. I think they might listen.

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
Holy cow! I'm a prodiggeeyoos little bugger.

Do you know the story of how I started writing the reviews?

SAILING reviewed one of my boats. It was not a well written review and I called them to complain about it. During the conversation I said, "Hell, even I can write a better review than that!" The editor said, "Oh really, would you like to try?" I said yes.

Now I see that list and I feel really old.
you look pretty wise to me........

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Pat:

I rarely get to sail the boats I review. The reviews are "design views" and not "boat reviews". With the workload of design work I have it would not be practical for me to sail each boat I review. It would also be very expensive for SAILING to fly me all over the world for the test sails. Bob don't fly coach.

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
^^ Bob just beat me to this, but I wonder about this too. In an ideal world, a review of a production boat would include inspection of the finished boat and build process by someone with a surveyor's eye, a detailed look by someone with a designer's eye, and test sails under a variety of conditions. This is a lot to ask.

Latest posts