Perry Sliver Class Day Sailor

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
The new Jeff Hammond Boat Shop at the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding in Port Hadlock, WA is almost ready for the start of the Perry "Sliver" project. Hopefully we start early in April. I will try to get some pictures posted as we move along on this undertaking.

Bob has promised to shore me up when I get nervous about what I have gotten myself into with this vessel. Fortunately we have a great team working with us on the design, planning and build (including several members of the CA group.)

The Perry Sliver Class Sloop was designed as a simple day sailor for the pure pleasure of sailing. I don't care about rating rules and I don't intend to cruise her offshore at all. Puget Sound, the San Juan Islands and the inland passage north will be about the limit of where we take her.

I am very happy to be working with the School on this project and appreciate the enthusiasum of instructor Bruce Blatchley and his students in the contemporary wood building class.

http://www.nwboatschool.org/

/monthly_03_2011/post-8115-017074700%201300753090_thumb.jpg

/monthly_03_2011/post-8115-099315000%201300753112_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• 131-3188_IMG.JPG
    131-3188_IMG.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 12
  • 131-3191_IMG.JPG
    131-3191_IMG.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 11

viktor

Anarchist
pnw
That's great news. I worked with Bruce in Bellingham for a year or so before he went to NSWB. He's a great guy and a very skilled shipwright. Your in good hands. Looking forward to following the project.

boomberry

Super Anarchist
So excited for you that your dream and efforts are one step closer to sailing reality! B)

What an fantastic place to have it built. Close enough that maybe we Canuck CA'ists, can drive down a couple times to see the progress, if that's okay with you. The whole process sounds sounds interesting and must be very gratifying for all involved.

How long do you anticipate it will take to build?

Last edited by a moderator:

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
So excited for you that your dream and efforts are one step closer to sailing reality! B)

What an fantastic place to have it built. Close enough that maybe we Canuck CA'ists, can drive down a couple times to see the progress, if that's okay with you. The whole process sounds sounds interesting and must be very gratifying for all involved.

How long do you anticipate it will take to build?
My grandfather was a Canuck so you would always be welcomed.

I expect it to take a while due to having to fit into the School's teaching schedule so I am thinking Summer 2012 to hit the water. Maybe sooner, time will tell.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, I may need some morale support before this is over. I kind of bit off a lot here. (Thank goodness I have Bob on my team.)

beauvrolyk

Super Anarchist
Kim,

When there's a party let us know and the S'agapo gang may head up. Yours is a wonderful design and goal.

"We who sail narrow boats salute you!"

(My main trimmer cooked up that saying)

Best of luck, and may her keel be straight and true.

The crew of S'agapo

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
Good to hear Kimb. do you or the shop mind if I come up once in a while and take pictures?
Jose,

I would like to have you come by and add your wisdom to the project. I plan to visit most Monday's so let's see if we can link up once we get underway.

I could pick you up at the ferry so you could avoid the cost of driving on.

Kim

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
Can anyone post a drawing of this boat in question??
Sonadora is being modest, he created this rendering of the vessel sometime ago. (We have made a few changes (that is not the actual blub configuration) but it is close enough for you to get the idea of the vessel.)

I used his work to show the team what we are going after. He has been one of the many CA'ers who have contributed to the project and Bob and I appreciate all of your input.

Nice bunch of people here on CA.

Kim

/monthly_03_2011/post-8115-005826800%201300814004_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• main.JPG
    main.JPG
    336.5 KB · Views: 11

beauvrolyk

Super Anarchist
Can anyone post a drawing of this boat in question??
Sonadora is being modest, he created this rendering of the vessel sometime ago. (We have made a few changes (that is not the actual blub configuration) but it is close enough for you to get the idea of the vessel.)

I used his work to show the team what we are going after. He has been one of the many CA'ers who have contributed to the project and Bob and I appreciate all of your input.

Nice bunch of people here on CA.

Kim

Kim and Sons,

Each time I look at that rendering of the Sliver I am struck by how similar the shapes are to the legendary Bill Lee design "Merlin". There is something very very fast about that shape and is makes me want to send her sliding down some long Pacific swells to see what she'll do!

Beau

boomberry

Super Anarchist
Fantastic to see an image of it again. The clean, simple, elegant lines and sleek shape are very appealing. I love that it has a tiller, and the fact that the jib and main can all be controlled from the aft cockpit.

The apparent simplicity belies the fact that much thought, planning and experience goes into the design process.

Thanks for sharing with us. I agree ... it's a pretty cool group of people here.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Oh Boomberries, you say that to all the guys. But seriously, sitting up here on the beach in what I call the "golden cage" CA is one of my few connections with the real world, of sailing.

I saw an otter yesterday. He gave me the paw.

boomberry

Super Anarchist
Oh Boomberries, you say that to all the guys. But seriously, sitting up here on the beach in what I call the "golden cage" CA is one of my few connections with the real world, of sailing.

I saw an otter yesterday. He gave me the paw.
Where is the blush emoticon? Nah, I'm very discerning in who I say that to ... :p Although we CA folks can give each other a hard time occasionally, we all work through it. It's a great place to learn and share. As to the sealife in your lovely corner of the world ... you "otter" give him the benefit of the doubt. He might have been waving.