Perry Sliver Class Day Sailor

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Tom:

I draw what I consider a reasonable gutter depth. I don't recall my gutters ever being a problem.

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
Tom:

I draw what I consider a reasonable gutter depth. I don't recall my gutters ever being a problem.
Jim and Russell would have complained if they did not think the gutters were deep enough.

Nice thing about all of the crew on this build, they are always thinking of ways to improve the vessel.

Jordan, Fred, Bruce, Brandon, Jim, Tim, Russell are always thinking of such things.

Bob too.

I am very lucky to have these guys working on the Sliver!

A couple of questions for kimb or Bob or anyone else who knows the answer (this has been a long thread).

The area forward of the forward most bulkhead is shown on the most recent drawing I have at hand as a "Foc'sle & Chain Locker". Will there be something covering the hole in the bulkhead to keep the rode from spilling into the second compartment? Is the foc'sle/chain locker intended to drain along the limber holes along the keel to the bilge pump (wherever that is as there is no bulge sump).

Do you intend to design in a provision to block up the second bulkhead to create a waterproof bulkhead (collision bulkhead) for future offshore work?
cool.gif

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Sal:

No. At this stage there is no "offshore work" in the owner's plans as you would know if you read the thread closely. This is a daysailer. Always has been. If the owner was planning on going offshore I'm not sure I would make that bulkhead watertight anyway. For now it's all about having access to the extreme ends of the boat. But given the way the SLIVER is laid out it would be easy for another owner to have WT bhds.

How much chain do you imagine SLIVER will carry? I can tell you now it will be very little and certainly not the 200' that "real cruisers" think is required for "safe" anchoring. I think Kim will have 20' to 25' of chain and the rest rode and that will fit nicely in the focsle area if that's where he chooses to carry it.

Monster;

I don't care what Tom's qualifications are. His posts on design issues are cogent and speak of years messing around in boats. Weren't you supposed to put, "and I don't mean to offend" somewhere in your post?

Last edited by a moderator:

wick

Ontario
I am curious as to what Tom Rays qualifications are. What boats has he designed or built? What boat does he own? Does he sail?
Mash,

Like all of us (more or less), Tom has the qualifications to ask questions when something interests him. Me, I usually watch for the answers. Search for "Cowmarran" for boats he has built. We know he does sail and pedal a Hobie Adventure Island IIRC, and is an avid cat boat sailor. I too have had water creep under my hatchs when spraying with a hose. Haven't you?

Edit: Tom is probably offended that I answered in his place. Didn't mean to offend, Tom.

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
Sal:

No. At this stage there is no "offshore work" in the owner's plans as you would know if you read the thread closely. This is a daysailer. Always has been. If the owner was planning on going offshore I'm not sure I would make that bulkhead watertight anyway. For now it's all about having access to the extreme ends of the boat. But given the way the SLIVER is laid out it would be easy for another owner to have WT bhds.

How much chain do you imagine SLIVER will carry? I can tell you now it will be very little and certainly not the 200' that "real cruisers" think is required for "safe" anchoring. I think Kim will have 20' to 25' of chain and the rest rode and that will fit nicely in the focsle area if that's where he chooses to carry it.

Monster;

I don't care what Tom's qualifications are. His posts on design issues are cogent and speak of years messing around in boats. Weren't you supposed to put, "and I don't mean to offend" somewhere in your post?
Kim plans to anchor off the stern allowing anchor storage in the cockpit locker next to the engine. Kim plans to have just enough chain to reach the primary winches in the cockpit from the stern roller so he can use the primaries as the anchor winch. Not sure which anchor will be used, Kim owns about a dozen anchors, (some way too large for this vessel.) Kim does plan to have some sort of anchor wash-down system.

No plans for watertight bulkheads, Kim wants the vessel to be very open and well ventilated.

I have no idea why Kim is answering in the third person.

Sal:

No offence intended
cool.gif
, I did realise this is a "daysailer". But I also remember this boat will one day be passed along to kimb's sons who may (or may not) take her offshore sometime. I'm pretty sure the possibility has been mentioned in the thread somewhere.

I think kimb (all three of him/third person) did mention about anchoring off the stern before somewhere, sorry, I forgot about that. Hard to remember everything...

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
Sal:

No offence intended
cool.gif
, I did realise this is a "daysailer". But I also remember this boat will one day be passed along to kimb's sons who may (or may not) take her offshore sometime. I'm pretty sure the possibility has been mentioned in the thread somewhere.

I think kimb (all three of him/third person) did mention about anchoring off the stern before somewhere, sorry, I forgot about that. Hard to remember everything...
Regarding the "offshore" question: when Kim asked Tim Nolan why he was engineering the boat to be so strong Tim replied that when Kim's sons are sailing her back from Hawaii and they fall off a wave he wanted to make sure the boat brought them back home safely. Hard to argue with that kind of comment so Kim shut up and let Tim add the stringers.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
IB doesn't.

There IB are you happy now?

You can run home tonight and tell your wife, "I made the list. I made the list!"

Is Kim channelling Golum?

Of course you can get thru that hole Kim. Why do you think I designed it like that? You told me you had a 32" waist and I designed the opening accordingly.
So that's why it is a 30" hole ??

No breach, crime, delinquency, fault, infraction, lapse, malfeasance, misdeed, misdemeanor, peccadillo, sin, transgression, wrong, wrongdoing, or offfence implied, intended, or even considered. I'll try harder next time.

Wait - disregard the above. If anyone is offended then I hope that they get over it soon.