Perry Sliver Class Day Sailor

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
Oh Boomberries, you say that to all the guys. But seriously, sitting up here on the beach in what I call the "golden cage" CA is one of my few connections with the real world, of sailing.

I saw an otter yesterday. He gave me the paw.
Is that the same pesky little critter that poops all over my dock and commuterboat? Would you please keep him up there at your place Bob. I am tired of cleaning up after him.....or his friends.....

/monthly_03_2011/post-8115-064457900%201300828976_thumb.jpg

/monthly_03_2011/post-8115-042248700%201300829012_thumb.jpg

/monthly_03_2011/post-8115-042549900%201300829083_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• 112-1204_IMG.JPG
    112-1204_IMG.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Sea Lion 004.jpg
    Sea Lion 004.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 115-1594_IMG.JPG
    115-1594_IMG.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 4

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
I'll try Kim.

There is no poop quite like otter poop. And they lay one right on your mooring line coil.

Greever

Super Anarchist
Rockford, MI
Kimb. A small (big) favor: Could you post building pics as you progress? Similar to Zeyangs build thread? I really love following boatbuilding threads these days since there is so much to learn.

What type of construction method will be used? Cold molded or strip planked I presume?

Thank you for sharing!

I'll try Kim.

There is no poop quite like otter poop. And they lay one right on your mooring line coil.
Bob, I am not sure how but I know a couple boats on my slip in Anacortes have had the darn otters get inside their boat. They trashed it pretty bad, and once kicked out they kept trying to get back inside because they found it so homey.

Everytime I leave my boat as I make yet another trip to the hardware store my neighbor threatens to thow some herring down the campanionway. The goofball.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jose Carumba

Super Anarchist
Pugetopolis
They broke into my wife's car once and drove it around,..............................

.............................................................................................................................because it was an ottermatic. RUNNING FAR AWAY NOW!!

belandm

Super Anarchist
Everett, WA
While waiting for my slip to open up in Everett, I moored my old boat in Utsalady Bay at the north end of Camano Island - I could check on it every few days that way. Otters and sea lions were constantly trying to get aboard the boats, but mostly they only managed it on the powerboats. (Or maybe they just didn't like stinkpotters.) The week before I moved her to Everett I had to leave her unattended for the whole week, and they got aboard.

One week. Two inches of urine in the cockpit, which had backed up from the feathers, shells, and - literally - shit that had plugged the cockpit drains. Piles of otter poo all over the deck, cockpit seats, etc. Trashed lines that had been neatly coiled and hanging by the companionway. Outboard mount broken (although it was repairable.) Instead of a pleasant sail down to Everett, I motored the whole way while cleaning up the boat - and only barely got it presentable before arriving, she still needed a thorough scrubbing. Friggin' otters.

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
Kimb. A small (big) favor: Could you post building pics as you progress? Similar to Zeyangs build thread? I really love following boatbuilding threads these days since there is so much to learn.

What type of construction method will be used? Cold molded or strip planked I presume?

Thank you for sharing!

Yes, it was the plan to post pictures of our progress, no matter how slow.

I don't have any yet because we don't start for another week or so. Maybe I can get some pictures of my expensive pile of Western Red Cedar drying in the kiln. I will see what I can do about that.

Strip Planked Red Cedar sheathed in e-glass and epoxy (I believe they plan to use West System.)

Super simple interior, just for weekends and camping style use. As few systems as possible (systems add weight; weight not good.) Composite deck, foam core.

Yanmar or Volvo saildrive. 40 HP or so. We will see if I have enough money for a Carbon Fibre mast.

This really is suppose to be a day sailor and I will always be a fan of Bob Perry because when I told him I wanted to do a 60 foot double ended day sailor with a tiller he did not laugh at me or throw me out of his office, he listened and asked a a lot of questions and gave me some good advice (like I really did need a deck house as we really did need some head room in a 60 foot boat) and then he did what I asked him to do. He designed the Sliver Class Day Sailor.

Bob is a pretty good guy once you get to know him. Smart too.

Jose Carumba

Super Anarchist
Pugetopolis
Kimb, your boat looks perfect to me. If it were my boat I wouldn't change a thing. I have always been a fan of the combination of classic looks, modern performance features and a slim hull. Bob is the guy who can put that all together into a stunning package and Sons really puts the sizzle in the rendered model.

It's not my boat but if it was maybe there is one thing I would change. I'd put a hybrid drive in it so I could glide silently in and out of anchorages with nary a sound nor a ripple. Expensive, I know,but that image makes me smile. Besides,you could sneak up on the otters easier.

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
It's not my boat but if it was maybe there is one thing I would change. I'd put a hybrid drive in it so I could glide silently in and out of anchorages with nary a sound nor a ripple. Expensive, I know,but that image makes me smile. Besides,you could sneak up on the otters easier.
Jose,

That is actually something I considered. I have an electric outboard motor for my 30 Square Metre now and I like the idea of electric drive (I owned a pure electric car a couple years ago, a Solectra Force). Maybe we should get together and discuss the idea. There are a couple electric saildrives I have seen on the Internet that might work. Do you have any experience in this area?

(Was that sound I just heard Bob pulling his hair out?)

/monthly_03_2011/post-8115-041235900%201300842998_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• 116-1620_IMG.JPG
    116-1620_IMG.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 3

Jose Carumba

Super Anarchist
Pugetopolis
Kimb, my expertise lies in hull design and tooling for large motoryachts. Bob has laid out your boat to the space and weight requirements he feels works well. Changing to a hybrid drive, even though it may only add 12-18 inches in length and maybe 100-150 lbs (guessing) in weght to the drive train, might disrupt the careful work Bob has done laying out the arrangement and structure of your boat. With construction about to start this might not be a good idea. You should go over the idea with Bob. I've ended up with a few bald patches before.

dbottles

Seattle, WA
I recall I had to ask nicely to get a berth, sink and head added to the boat's program. Bob has done very nice work, let's see if we can do a good job getting it built and working right.

Ishmael

Resting Bitch Face
Fuctifino
I recall I had to ask nicely to get a berth, sink and head added to the boat's program. Bob has done very nice work, let's see if we can do a good job getting it built and working right.
You got a head? Lucky bugger. Bob's a big fan of buckets, or so he says. Methinks he doth not sail with wenches much. ;)

A

Amati

While waiting for my slip to open up in Everett, I moored my old boat in Utsalady Bay at the north end of Camano Island - I could check on it every few days that way. Otters and sea lions were constantly trying to get aboard the boats, but mostly they only managed it on the powerboats. (Or maybe they just didn't like stinkpotters.) The week before I moved her to Everett I had to leave her unattended for the whole week, and they got aboard.

One week. Two inches of urine in the cockpit, which had backed up from the feathers, shells, and - literally - shit that had plugged the cockpit drains. Piles of otter poo all over the deck, cockpit seats, etc. Trashed lines that had been neatly coiled and hanging by the companionway. Outboard mount broken (although it was repairable.) Instead of a pleasant sail down to Everett, I motored the whole way while cleaning up the boat - and only barely got it presentable before arriving, she still needed a thorough scrubbing. Friggin' otters.
But water soluble.

Must admit, I like boats with a low system prismatic. Don't know if I buy into the bucket thang though. That sounds more like a LFH affectation.

But there is that BHP gem: "Dodger? I don't need no stinkin' dodger! My Helly Hanson is my dodger..."

P

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
You got a head? Lucky bugger. Bob's a big fan of buckets, or so he says. Methinks he doth not sail with wenches much. ;)
Interestingly enough dbottles's mother has used a bucket on many occasions without ever a complaint.

That may be why I married her back in 1968 .

She likes to sail and she is very low maintenance.

Ishmael

Resting Bitch Face
Fuctifino
Interestingly enough dbottles's mother has used a bucket on many occasions without ever a complaint.

That may be why I married her back in 1968 .

She likes to sail and she is very low maintenance.
Things were different back in the day, expectations are a little higher as we get older more sophisticated. I will refrain from stories from 1968 in the interest of dignity. :ph34r:

blackjenner

Super Anarchist
Can anyone post a drawing of this boat in question??
Sonadora is being modest, he created this rendering of the vessel sometime ago. (We have made a few changes (that is not the actual blub configuration) but it is close enough for you to get the idea of the vessel.)

I used his work to show the team what we are going after. He has been one of the many CA'ers who have contributed to the project and Bob and I appreciate all of your input.

Nice bunch of people here on CA.

Kim
That's that boat? That's your "daysailor"? Wow. Talk about an understatement. I can't wait to have a chance to see the finished project.

Hike Bitches!

Super Anarchist
Solomons, MD
Oh Boomberries, you say that to all the guys. But seriously, sitting up here on the beach in what I call the "golden cage" CA is one of my few connections with the real world, of sailing.I saw an otter yesterday. He gave me the paw.
Where is the blush emoticon? Nah, I'm very discerning in who I say that to ... :p Although we CA folks can give each other a hard time occasionally, we all work through it. It's a great place to learn and share. As to the sealife in your lovely corner of the world ... you "otter" give him the benefit of the doubt. He might have been waving.
Boom Boom...it is not on the list..you have to use : wub : to make it work.

Lookin' good kim...you guys are busy...CA was getting slow...glad there is some renewed interest in boats...I need to go catch up on the other posts since Boom Boom's :wub:

edit - Kim, I know a guy that was doing electric propulsion in sailboats in the late 90's..I haven't seen him in a while, but if I can hunt him down I'll let you know..I think he's in Florida these days. Tell your wife that my wife & the girls we sail with call the 5 gallon bucket (head) on the boat, "The Honey Pot". :D It is usually full of beer cans & there is a 5 year old on the boat so he's always interested in the business going on. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Memopad

Super Anarchist
Marquette, MI
Somethin about the sound of a nice diesel inboard is cool in its own way though... maybe not a new yanmar, i'm talkin the old single lungers :lol: . Oooo or a steam engine!!!!

Gorgeous boat, can't wait to see it come together. If i had to change anything i would attempt to open up the cockpit where the mainsheet attaches so you could walk around it. Looks like no traveler but there is still a bridge to step over. Minor detail i know :)