Perry Sliver Class Day Sailor

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
Was it hogging? How will you fixture it when you roll it over?
No the shape was pretty firm because the crew did a good job of moving very slowly and carefully when they picked her up and they installed some extra bracing to hold her together whenever they thought they saw any movement.

They are going to set her in some female molds after they roll her so she stays in shape while they work on the inside.

blackjenner

Super Anarchist
I've never painted (other than bottom paint) a hull before. If they are going to spray on the finish wouldn't it be easier to do before they roll it over?
I would think the very last thing you want to do to that hull, before it is splash, is paint it. That way you can do everything else surrounding the hull and now worry about messing up the finish.

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
I've never painted (other than bottom paint) a hull before. If they are going to spray on the finish wouldn't it be easier to do before they roll it over?
Long story but we have pretty much decided to brush on a paint called "Perfection". Several of our crew have had great results with that paint and method. I am not a fan of spraying for a number of reasons.

We talked about painting before the roll but there are all sorts of reasons that did not work out.

Like I have said before; for a simple boat this sure is turning out to be a complex project.

I would think the very last thing you want to do to that hull, before it is splash, is paint it. That way you can do everything else surrounding the hull and now worry about messing up the finish.
That is pretty much the case here, yes.

viktor

Anarchist
pnw
That's looking great Kim. Thanks again for taking the time to share this with us. I think you mentioned earlier that,with this set up, they will be able to roll the boat from side to side to make fairing the inside that much easier. Is that still going to happen?

One more question, Does Bruce own any shirts that are NOT red? :D

VIK

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
That's looking great Kim. Thanks again for taking the time to share this with us. I think you mentioned earlier that,with this set up, they will be able to roll the boat from side to side to make fairing the inside that much easier. Is that still going to happen?

One more question, Does Bruce own any shirts that are NOT red? :D

VIK
I too have been wondering about his red shirt thing.

We originally thought we would roll the boat side to side for interior work, however after talking to Russell, Jim, Tim and some other experts (boat builders) we have come to decide it safer for the hull to hold her shape to roll her once and then set her in some female cradles. Leaving her upright while the interior structual elements are installed.

(It is really nice to have other boat builders offering support to this project and to the School. Port Townsend has so much maritime talent to offer and we seem to have attracted most of it with this project.)

Hike Bitches!

Super Anarchist
Solomons, MD
kim...I am no expert, but I hear good things about Perfection (Interlux product) - I've considered it for my old 4KSB if/when I re-finish it.

I need to do the deck first since I see that when I am sailing..then the hull, which I only see boarding & exiting. I think brushing is fine in the correct application environment, the paint should level itself out as it is designed to do.

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
kim...I am no expert, but I hear good things about Perfection (Interlux product) - I've considered it for my old 4KSB if/when I re-finish it.

I need to do the deck first since I see that when I am sailing..then the hull, which I only see boarding & exiting. I think brushing is fine in the correct application environment, the paint should level itself out as it is designed to do.
Both Russell and Brandon have used it with excellent results. I have seen their projects and the results are stunning.

Hike Bitches!

Super Anarchist
Solomons, MD
kim, that is an excellent endorsement. I used the 1-part stuff (leftovers from a buddy) when I did chainplate repairs which required a small area of deck re-finish/repair.

I don't need to make my boat look brand new, and I also don't have the $$ to put it in a heated shed and have professionals do it, so we'll see how it goes when the time comes. I am trying to remind myself the cosmetics are last on the priority list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan33

Super Anarchist
Both Russell and Brandon have used it with excellent results. I have seen their projects and the results are stunning.
Kim

I did the deck on GK with Perfection topped with KIWI deck for the non skid areas...I have NOTHING but good things to say about both products. Perfection is a bit fussy until you get a feel for it, then it is amazing. It just has to be thinned properly for the day, and every day is different.

Interlux also has great guys in their support department. That is worth a lot if things go south.

Spraying is such a big ordeal, and Perfection is designed to be roll-tipped.

Hike Bitches!

Super Anarchist
Solomons, MD
thanks gate. i have considered the interlux stuff & the kiwi grip too partially cuz other regular joes like yourself have had good luck with it.

valcour

I just repainted an 11' whaler with Perfection. Rolled and did not tip (oyster white doesn't need tipping. Colors do. ). It looks great from 2 feet and further. Some who knows what they are doing with Perfection can make a boat look stunning. I am not that person.

Just watch out for runs and sags caused by heavy coats. Many light coats are the way to go.

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
On the "pick up the Perry designed carbon rudder" road trip with SWMBO.

What is it with this California traffic?? Bainbridge Island to Yreka, lots of wind and rain but very little traffic (OK, it was Xmas day.)

Yreka to Patterson nice weather and very little traffic even through Sacramento.

Just south of Patterson we hit stopped traffic on I-5. torturous stop and go. It looks like no end in sight. Bail out to the coast after it took an hour to go 5 miles and made it to Paso Robles for the night.

Heard from the locals that it is always like that right after a holiday between SF and LA.

We were 293 miles north of LA when we hit the jamb. How long did it take those poor people to get home? (there isn't much between Patterson and LA on I-5 so most of them had to be going to LA.)

Traffic on 101 was much, MUCH nicer. Cruise set to 70. No worries.

Foggy this morning but should be getting rudder tomorrow after stopping for the night at brother's house in West LA.

Pictures soon.

beauvrolyk

Super Anarchist
Kimb,

There's a reason Angelinos travel at night. But on the big weekends even that doesn't help. We landed at LAX once and tried to drive to the Valley at 2am. The San DIego Fwy was jammed through W. LA. Amazing.

BV