personal ocean race gear

Hi, doing the transpacific, any ideas or recommendations form any one that has done offshore racing. I have all required safety gear and proper foulies (musto, Spinlock PFD and three point harness) We are racing but not so hard core with weight that we saw toothbrushes in half, thank you

(also not a newbie but new after being off for a while)

Last edited by a moderator:

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
Good luck! If you know of any fast downwind boats looking for an offshore qualified sailor I may be available...

Back to gear, +1 on be PLB and sun protection. Good boots are a must. I like my Dubarrys, they are the slightly lower end model with less leather and have served me well for over 5000 ocean racing miles and stayed dry on the foredeck in 50kts+. It’s a pitty you missed the zhik sale as that was a nice discount and their sea boots get good reviews.

IMR

Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Depending on the boat I might go boot less on a Transpac.  Definitely boots on a pac cup it’s a lot colder off of sf. 

Buff for sun protection, protect long sleeve shirts in white.  Baby wipes, diper rash cream, dry deck mat to sit on. 

Haligonian Winterr

Super Anarchist
Halifax, NS
Diaper rash cream, GoldBond (extra medicated) and a UV+ buff. 

You can jerry-rig just about anything besides those three.

A beanbag would also not go amiss for the trimmers.

HW

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Good ideas all, I went with full coverage from the sun except lower legs. So a couple 50spf thin pullovers. They get ripe so you will do laundry. 

Oh, and a couple of the neck gators to go with the floppy hat. Sunburn would suck.

My sleeping bag was a 45 degree rated bag which had just a thin micro fleece sheet on one side and insulation on the other. Was great for when it got hot, move the insulation to the bottom.

get a headlamp with a red lens.

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle
Personal water bottles for full crew and personal largish soup/chili/stew/cereal bowls.  No single use plastic shit.

+100 on good earplugs on a string and an eyemask.

Lifejacket with crotch strap! 

Quick release mechanism on the three-point tether.

The Zhik boots are very light and comfy and sticky.  

Tried the Mustang high end life jacket on.  Much less neck rub than the Spinlock.  May switch.  

NORBowGirl

Super Anarchist
Bring a game of some sort. Deck of cards, quiz book, knot book, etc, in case it gets boring. 

Decide to learn a skill, like splicing and whipping. The boat should be equipped with all you need. 

Hopefully you will not have time for any of this, but you never know.... :)

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle
Bring a game of some sort. Deck of cards, quiz book, knot book, etc, in case it gets boring. 

Decide to learn a skill, like splicing and whipping. The boat should be equipped with all you need. 

Hopefully you will not have time for any of this, but you never know.... :)
Trim, drive, snack, sleep, shit, snack, trim, drive, snack, fix stuff, trim, drive, snack, sleep, shit, trim, drive, snack, organize stuff, sleep, snack, trim, drive, snack, fix stuff, trim, drive, snack, sleep, shit,

Not sure where the card-playing comes in.  I had a deck of cards on my last boat for maybe a decade.  Never got used, not even on deliveries.  Too much to do.

I always bring a book and generally read about a page a day.  Did have one skipper who read Leaves of Grass aloud to the crew each evening.  That was about it for entertainment.

Mid

Blues Rule
yepp , done lots of two up , 4 on 4 off the daylight , 3 and 3 at night , gives a rotating watch 3 and 4 in 24 .

a water proof m3 player is on the list  :D

Foolish

Super Anarchist
Victoria, BC
A closed-cell foam cushion to sit on.  Add a short cord to tie it in place to the toe rail or other convenient point.  Gelcoat gets REALLY hard after 24 hours.  This has saved my butt and my back, over the past several years.

Others have mentioned diaper cream. You can also try cornstarch for your nether regions.  I've lost a mast and I've had diaper rash; I rather lose a mast.