Peterson 35 Ganbare Identification and Revival

batkinmok

The Ocean
I have a chance of buying a Peterson 35 build after his one-tonner Ganbare ((?)see below) for quite the deal, considered shes on the verge of being part of the zombie fleet.
Full suit of sails in near new condition, running ancient Faryman V2 (what evs, wouldnt be my first engine swap..), solid decks, clean bilges, couple of little leaks in the toerail, apparently good stringers. So far so good. But heres the catch(es).
1. Do these old IOR girls make good cruising boats? Id be planning on being able to singlehand her, with furler, inner stay, autopilot and maybe a windvane, and generally simplifying the rig a bit (they seemed to have the need to bolt a winch to every available square inch of deck..)

2. i know my way around wood and solid glass boats, but i dont know the first thing about foam cores. I have no clue what manufacturer it is, i.e airex or what have you. i havent seen her out of the water yet, but i will before the sale. what do i look for? i know these boats were put under a lot of stress with their hydraulic backstays and their crews pushing for the limit, is there any way to tell if shes too tired to be safe? and no, there wont be a professional survey..

3. All the stays and shrouds are solid rod, whats the lifetime on that stuff? it sure looks pretty tough but im not so sure about the swages? couldnt find any info on that. rerigging this baby would sure hurt financially..

Heres an old ad for this very boat, cabintop and cockpit are pretty different from the original Ganbare, so im not totally sure it is what i think it is, the history is kinda murky. any info on that would be much appreciated!
https://www.usedvictoria.com/classif...erson_31193041

lookin forward to the feedback!

b

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
That's a Don Martin build. He built a passel of them - 40 or 50 I think - in 3 variants - that's a Mark II which was by far the most common. It is an actual Ganbare hull - Cooper started building them right after Ganbare won the Worlds. Martin was his shop manager at the time and later took the moulds and started out on his own.

Great boats and make great cruising boats. He built them pretty well - solid hull and balsa deck IIRC - nothing too fancy except some of them got carried away with the Hardware Wars of the time like hydraulic everything. Rod rigging seems to last way beyond the recommended 10 years around here.

If you have the skills to restore it, buy it - for that price your money is in the lead keel

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
Not truly a copy of Ganbare's hull.  More of a development.  Ganbare was 34 ft while these were 35.

The prototype if you will was built by Cooper for Vern Ruskin and was intended as a one-off.  Vern said Doug Peterson and his wife stayed at his house in West Van while it was being built.  During the build, Cooper asked Vern if he could use the hull as a plug  - thus was born the Cooper Ganbare 35.

Last edited by a moderator:

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
Definitely will need a survey unless you intend to leave her on the hook.  I doubt you will find any marina that will take her without insurance.

These boats are a handful downwind  with the kite up - more so with a wheel.  The plus of the wheel vs tiller is that a tiller steered P35 will almost rip your arms out of their sockets upwind.

I don't know if Farymann made a diesel of sufficient power to drive these things.  You probably would want something in the 25 hp range.

Price is reasonable, but I wouldn't consider it to be a great deal.  Okay, better than Clockwork Rocketship, the old Mull 3/4 Ton on CL at $3k - but that one is really gone.

Brigadoon was a similar MkII version in very good condition with a near new Kevlar inventory.  New paint job.  Nicely appointed interior and was listed at $17k a  few years ago.  Not sure what she sold for. 

When you say the sails are in "near new condition" - is that your description or the owners?  A lot of owners use that term to describe 20 year old sails that weren't used much - or that don't have a lot of wrinkles when you take them out of the bag.

There is a write up/review of the Peterson 35 in  Ferenc Mates book "Best Boats to Build or Buy"

view at the front

Super Anarchist
Anacortes, WA USA
I raced with a cruiser in some day races in La Manzanilla, Mexico on a Ganbare 35 several years ago.  He and his wife were cruising down the coast from BC to Ecuador.  The boat seemed to meet their cruising needs.  Is it the same hull as Sitka, that was campaigned very successfully in the PNW in the '70s and '80s?

batkinmok

The Ocean
Hi Sloop and 12, thanks, this is some great info.

He built them pretty well - solid hull and balsa deck IIRC
The current owner says shes foam core all the way, and theres also a sample from when a previous owner put in an extra thru hull or something.

I don't know if Farymann made a diesel of sufficient power to drive these things.  You probably would want something in the 25 hp range
The R30 has 20hp and it seems in okay condition. No parts to be had for it though..

Price is reasonable, but I wouldn't consider it to be a great deal
Its an old ad, i just used it for the pictures, the new owner is a friend of a friend and the price is a lot better..

When you say the sails are in "near new condition" - is that your description or the owners?  A lot of owners use that term to describe 20 year old sails that weren't used much - or that don't have a lot of wrinkles when you take them out of the bag.
Weeell ive seen the sails, theyre just regular dacron and probalby pretty old but they clearly havent seen much use, just been sitting in bags forever. Frankly a lot better than what i usually rock around with.. im not doing any competitive sailing, just want a fast roomy cruiser to zip around the coast with. The interior on her is nice, real good looking mahogany, and no water damage.

Even though theres a lift near by, the boat is on the central coast and i imagine getting a surveyer out here would cost about as much as the boat. Also i stay away from marinas as much as i can (or anywhere south of nanaimo for that matter) and usually keep my boat on a mooring or anchor. Ive always had a boat for the last six years, often lived on it, never had insurance, never gave me any trouble.

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
Hi Sloop and 12, thanks, this is some great info.

The current owner says shes foam core all the way, and theres also a sample from when a previous owner put in an extra thru hull or something.

The R30 has 20hp and it seems in okay condition. No parts to be had for it though..

Its an old ad, i just used it for the pictures, the new owner is a friend of a friend and the price is a lot better..

Weeell ive seen the sails, theyre just regular dacron and probalby pretty old but they clearly havent seen much use, just been sitting in bags forever. Frankly a lot better than what i usually rock around with.. im not doing any competitive sailing, just want a fast roomy cruiser to zip around the coast with. The interior on her is nice, real good looking mahogany, and no water damage.

Even though theres a lift near by, the boat is on the central coast and i imagine getting a surveyer out here would cost about as much as the boat. Also i stay away from marinas as much as i can (or anywhere south of nanaimo for that matter) and usually keep my boat on a mooring or anchor. Ive always had a boat for the last six years, often lived on it, never had insurance, never gave me any trouble.
If you're on the hook, then there's probably no issue.

The Crealock 37 we had a few  years ago came with a Faryman V2 diesel. They were originally an aircooled design and the one that came in our boat had plastic water jackets and was raw water cooled. Needless to day, it was junk and leaked oil and water our of every seam, though it did still start/run. $14k later, a Beta 35 wasn't a bad conversion. 

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
I sailed both on Sitka and two 35's, Baggins and The Pretender (Bits and Pieces) BITD.  Sitka was quite a different boat with a more pronounced pinch in the stern.  She was a broach coach downwind in a breeze.  The 35's felt like a lot bigger boats both on deck and in interior volume - though maybe the fine joinery by John Timmerman on Sitka made the boat seems smaller inside.  Both types were great upwind boats.  If I had my choice I would take the 35 downwind.  

Sitka used to have pilot berths above the settee.  You had about 3 inches of breathing space above your face and rolling over required considerable contortions.  I was glad to see that John eliminated them.  He still owns Sitka BTW.

Bits and Pieces had a tiller (that you had to screw back onto the rudderpost regularly) and Baggins had a wheel.   I'd take the tiller over the wheel but you need two people on it reaching or downwind in breeze.  For a cruising boat just reduce sail and it will be fine.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Here ya go.  Figured you may be interested.

Such a sorry state for such a  nice looking boat:

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/boa/d/delta-sailboat/6928430322.html

On the upside, if you don't have enough time to work on two boats, the ad says "i can maybe fix it as i know how to fix boat,s"

Then there's this little nugget "and come in 2nd in some world championships  :rolleyes:
Cheers.

That guy can't even load an ad properly - it's not under sailboats on CL so my filtered view missed it.

Listed as 28' ?

He's obviously pretty clueless. I think that was posted a while back and everyone was trying to figure out what it was because of the listed length - the proportions are so good that a long shot doesn't really tell you what size it is - people were guessing 1/4 Tonner & 1/2 Tonner.

The "guy he's selling it for" needs to find a new broker. :D

It's made it upstream of the Fraser bridge so it may be too late for it.

Maxx Baqustae

Super Anarchist
Canadian Southwest
I was in awe of the success of that boat.
Sitka was built for the 3/4 ton worlds. And a Chaser 33 so not a Donny build. It was originally called "Gogama". Clockwork was a Mull 3/4 ton special build by Donny. I know - I was there for all of it. My owner/skipper (at the time) built a custom aluminum Mull 3/4 tonner in North Vancouver and I was there with the build. Believe me, I know all about of those 3/4 tonners. Raced on Clockwork for years in Tsawwassen YC. Clockwork (new) at the 3/4 ton worlds:   

004.jpg

Maxx Baqustae

Super Anarchist
Canadian Southwest
I raced many of the Peterson/Ganbare/Martin 35's. Won Straits and Swiftsure on Brigadoon. Raced on Prophecy, Baggin's (Straits 1st in Div. and second overall), Pretender etc, etc, etc They were the "the" boat for many years. The build is "okay" but never meant as a world cruiser. Very important to have a proper survey and proper surveyor. Not with the guy with a white cane and a seeing eye dog. Ferenc Mates book "Best Boats to Build or Buy" is a work of fiction IMHO. 

You also have to remember that when the 35's were built for IOR racing it has bow down trim because of it. Many had lead pigs forward the mast for measurement reasons. Many of them have taken the lead out. Still, they can be a handful in a hat full of wind. Over 18 and up but proper crew for racing or shorthanded cruising with the blade up - no biggie. 

Laser1

Super Anarchist
Westcountry
How does the 35 Ganbare compare to the Jeremy Rogers built Contessa 35?

Sailed on a few, ended up arse over tit as well a few times down wind with the big gear up.

Indeed, that big piece of wood in the back of the bus is character building.  :lol: